R. E. Olds & Kids - Toy Car to ID

Grandpa

Guest Xprefix28truck

No idea Grandpa.. But I bet that thing is still around somewhere, I wish it was hiding at my house!!!

It's the Baby REO. Story was that it was built for R.E Olds' children and was a 1/2 scale replica of the 1905 Reo 2 cylinder touring. It was in a private collection up til about 6 months ago when it went up for auction. RE Olds' children bought it and donated it to the REO museum in Lansing.

Frank

Guest Brian Scott

So is it like a old time power wheel? Does it drive? I might have to go with my wife to see her family in Grand rapids next time just to have an excuse to go see it.

It seems to me that I read somewhere that a similar car was built and used in the Barnum and Bailey Circus and driven frequently by General Tom Thumb, So yes, It was fully functional. Dandy Dave!

And here it is...Baby REO back on home turf after 102-year road trip | The San Diego Union-Tribune

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

This is an exact 1/2 scale working model of the 1906 Reo. (It was not a toy.) It was made in the Reo factory in 1905 for the 1906 New York Auto Show. The "baby" Reo was used by the Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey circuses from the mid teens to about 1936. Due to fire hazards, it was converted to run on compressed air while in the circus. Later, it was converted back to run on gasoline. Yes, it is the car restored by Richard Teague in the mid-1980's. Mr. Teague also purchased and restored a full size model of the 1906 Reo. The current owners of the two cars are descendants of R.E. Olds. The cars are on loan to the Oldsmobile Museum in Lansing. There is a good article about the cars and the Olds family at the following website: REOlds Trans. Museum Highlights

• 3 months later...
Guest forbradley

i have something that is similar but diffrent which i can find no information on...does anyone know of a hackney manufactured by gordon w. morton co. Greensbourough n.c.

i have something that is similar but diffrent which i can find no information on...does anyone know of a hackney manufactured by gordon w. morton co. Greensbourough n.c.

Got a photo of it?

• 1 month later...
Guest LouisRugani

Hackneys were introduced in 1957 by the Gordon W. Morton Co. on High Point Road in Greensboro NC and were advertised for use by all ages "from 3 to 103". You have the Deluxe model which included the lightning-bolt trim, plexiglas windshield, 6v head/tail lights and a battery-operated horn. All models included a trailer hitch. Engines were 2hp and manufacturers varied. L: 71"; H: 19"; W: 26-1/2"; weight: 185 lbs. A single hand lever controlled all forward/reverse motion and brakes. Throttle is dash-mounted and top speed is 6mph. It looks like yours is very complete and restorable. I have a Hackney brochure; one appeared on eBay a few years ago. I recommend the Microcars site at Microcars : . . . big talk about little cars! .