1962 Starfire trim removal

Hey all,

before I get into trouble, figured I would ask the professional Starfire owners here first.

the stainless trim on the quarter panels, I see nuts in the trunk, but what about above the tire? Are there nuts up inside the wheel well? I looked quickly and do not see access to them.

Any help is well appreciated!!!

Thanks

Vinny

Well, thanks for putting the pressure on me, Glenn. Remember what they say about paybacks...

Truth be told, I parted one of these out about 2 years ago and removed all that trim. I remember those plastic nuts in the trunk, but don't remember what was ahead of that. Seems to me you'd have to remove the interior panels to get at the forward retainers. I seem to recall the retainers above the wheel wells either being very far front in the trunk, or very far rear from the interior panels.

My car is not with me, so i can't go take a look. And the parts car is long gone.

I slid my moldings off. I tapped them until the first clip disengaged from the cut-out on the back of the molding. That gives you enough that you can grab hold of the molding and carefully slide it off. Then you can see where all the clips are and how they are retained. I think in order to do that I had to have the moldings off of the doors first.

Paul

Hi

Next week in PA is the OCA nationals and there should be several 62 starfires on the show feild,it might be worth your while to slide down and check it out.I'm sure you will be able to get the correct info about removing the side mouldings and anything else you can think of.

I'm going but not able to take one of my cars,so I will have to take pics and talk to other members about their cars and hopefully find the small parts I need to get them back up and running in time for the Canadian show in London.

I have a 62 but only use it as a template to check the aluminiun side panels ans don't recall how the mouldings came apart.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pete324rock

I don't have personal knowlege of your vehicle but...examining the situation.....if the area is "blind" ...that is ,it has no reasonable access, it could only make sense that a "blind" clip is used,such as a push in type. You need someone with a olds chassis manual that covers trim for that year, surely someone here has that info.....I can see your dilemma because trim that is mint with no dents can get a crease so easy with the wrong method of force. good luck.

I don't have personal knowlege of your vehicle but...examining the situation.....if the area is "blind" ...that is ,it has no reasonable access, it could only make sense that a "blind" clip is used,such as a push in type. You need someone with a olds chassis manual that covers trim for that year, surely someone here has that info.....I can see your dilemma because trim that is mint with no dents can get a crease so easy with the wrong method of force. good luck.

Thanks Pete,

yesterday I tried running a thin lightweight flat tip screwdriver under the molding and hit something... spring clip that uses a nut on the inside of the panel and I believe this is in the area not accessable from the trunk, just forward of the gas door.

I DO have the service manual.... shows what TYPES of clips are used but DOES NOT show where each type of clip is used... useless.

HURSTOLDZ@aol.com as I am getting tired of checking here daily with no results, no offense intended

Vinny

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...