Our 'new' 57

Guest 57Special

Guest 57Special

Just got her back East this weekend past, but here's our Special, staged for a fluid drain before trailering home. New to the forum/hobby and very excited to be here--incredible knowledge base... (and apologies in advance for inevitable newbie posts :)

l_f9778b73a3f746b8bf30d5768fbbf34b.jpg

Welcome aboard and thanks for posting here in the Me and My Buick forum. Would love to hear the history of the car if you know it and look forward to more stories and pictures. I agree with Special55 it is a neat classic color. What are your plans for her.

Where in the "east" are you.

Guest 53Nailhead

Very nice!

I think everyone here would agree the next thing to do is join the BCA (Buick Club of America)

Would love to see & hear more about it.

Speaking of BCA does anyone know how long it takes to get your new member info?

I finaly got my sorry butt around to filling out the online app and submitting it a couple weeks ago but never received my member number or email confirmation etc.

Just wondering if that's the norm or if they rejected my app.

Wouldn't be the first club I was dinied entry in to :D

Rich

Guest 57Special

Thanks much all! We're metro DC. Car was wife's father's, who bought it from the original owner (he worked for him summers in college and bought the car from him many, many years later). She's been sitting for 20+ years and we were given the green light to go get 'er and get her back on the road. Can't tell you how excited we are. Starts and runs well, but stopping: not so good. So first up is brakes along with a fuel pump (leaking), radiator/thermostat (something going on there: a little boil over after 20 minute drive from uhaul) and a variety of hoses that have seen better days... And looking forward to joining the BCA!

Dash as found:

l_406f90391c8c4f2fb858b0351b2b6a1a.jpg

Engine as found:

l_9df938e5c59442bab33d7535572c5286.jpg

Strapping down for the ride home:

l_f5fb1f2db8584ed3bd3ad630f382d26c.jpg

Edited by 57Special (see edit history)

Guest 53Nailhead

Looks Fantastic!! Love the interior color combo. Nice family history with it as well.

If the BCA accepted me & some of these others characters :rolleyes:, I'm sure they'll accept you :cool:

Welcome 57 Special, and Special 55 too. To Special 55, Sorry to hear that you haven't had follow up from the BCA. When did you send in your app? I 'd be glad to call the BCA office managers to see what they know, if you want to send me your name and address. If you don't want to post it here send a private message.

Meanwhile 57 Special, I am astonished that U-haul let you rent a trailer for this car. Seems they are suddenly aware of weight limits and looks like in my area they replaced all the nice sized car trailers with some only fit for Smart Cars.

But your car is awesome. The 57's are sweet. Had a convertible Special when I was in college. Showed 55K on the clock and I got it for the huge sum of $30.00. Sure wish I had it today.

Good luck with this project and don't worry about asking any questions. Most times it's better to ask before you take something apart than after you take it apart.

Cool car. U-Haul is the reason I now have a diesel 3/4 ton truck.

55 - you may also want to keep in mind that the BCA Office was closed for the better part of a week over the period of the National Meet last week...some of us are still in recovery :cool:

Yeah, I'm not really worried about it was just wondering how long it usually took. I'm anxious to add my BCA member number to my signature :D

Good point about the shut down though. Since I wasn't there to enjoy the festivities with all of you it hadn't occured to me that the office was closed.

Rich

Guest 57Special

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and kind comments! Going to get into a couple of things this weekend and hoping not to discover any serious issues!

Meanwhile 57 Special, I am astonished that U-haul let you rent a trailer for this car. Seems they are suddenly aware of weight limits and looks like in my area they replaced all the nice sized car trailers with some only fit for Smart Cars.

But your car is awesome. The 57's are sweet. Had a convertible Special when I was in college. Showed 55K on the clock and I got it for the huge sum of $30.00. Sure wish I had it today.

Good luck with this project and don't worry about asking any questions. Most times it's better to ask before you take something apart than after you take it apart.

The trailer was awesome/car didn't budge. The truck? Let's just say probably in-service for a while and not happy about pulling 4,000lbs. Especially on I-68... :)

Guest 57Special

Yesterday was Day One for mechanical: fuel pump replacement and brakes diagnosis on the docket...

Work start in our cramped gaarage. My brother (87 Grand National) foto'ing the dash and over to help me not screw up too badly:

l_c67e1c31795b4e75a2a705fdea3661e1.jpg

New fuel pump in and everything running with no leaks. Old one hopefully can be rebuilt and reinstalled...

l_6d651bbc0769457c880affee8fb66bd9.jpg

Left rear bleeder screw put us out of business later that evening. It failed and the local auto parts chain store was all shrugs for a replacement. Boo... Chasing one today, but doubtful I'll find at retail around here...

l_ccde8747fefd40b4832e8f5be4bce26d.jpg

While my brother and I were on mechanical, the Duchess was working dielectric grease and decided to remove and detail a tail light. We suspect this car will clean up Nicely...

l_404e91addc31472eb3fea5a307a4e839.jpg

The trunk conveyed with a ton of fluids circa 1960-85 and various other random items, including a bottle of Canadian Masterpiece whisky from 1965--heh. Duchess vetted/cleaned out and discovered this underneath everything. Nice:

l_8b0526d9291c4333b178f5187c74c68a.jpg

Sorry ebay, I'm good to go now, along with the printout from Team Buicks' pdf!

Team Day One at the end of the evening: Me on left with the Duchess and Big Bro on right. FUN TIMES!

l_92de0013b0354ffeb9cf78323eb0d787.jpg

Speaking of BCA does anyone know how long it takes to get your new member info?

I finaly got my sorry butt around to filling out the online app and submitting it a couple weeks ago but never received my member number or email confirmation etc.

Just wondering if that's the norm or if they rejected my app.

Wouldn't be the first club I was dinied entry in to :D

Rich

Our National Office runs multiple car clubs both that have had Nationals in the past few weeks plus they had personal business to attend to after the BCA Nationals. So they are probably a bit behind at the moment.

I wouldn't worry about being rejected, that wont happen unless you are a previously known troublemaker or rabble rouser and have been kicked out of the club prior.

Normally, you will see you membership card and letter in 3 - 4 weeks and get your 1st Bugle about 6 - 8 weeks later depending on where we are in the publishing cycle.

If you dont see anything soon, send me and email or PM and I will be glad to check for you.

Bill Stoneberg

Treasurer BCA

Thanks for the info Bill.

Sorry to hijack your thread 57.

Car looks like it is coming along already. that tail light looks pretty good. Many of us have cars beyond the elbow grease phase. You will be able to save a ton of money in chrome work if everything shines up that nicely.

Rich

Hey 57 Special, Looks like you got a great car. I noticed the tow hitch on there. If you're thinking of taking that off be sure to post a note in the for sale section. Someone was looking for a 57 tow hitch, but I can't remember who.

Meanwhile find your local NAPA store. I'm certain they can get those rear wheel cylinders still.

Guest 57Special
Meanwhile find your local NAPA store. I'm certain they can get those rear wheel cylinders still.

Thanks much--NAPA did have the wheel cylinders and managed to get the left rear installed. Was hoping to run thru hydraulics and magically get "inspection-operational" brakes, but boy howdy was that drum scored. Sure the same is true for the other three wheels. Ah well...

57 Special

Welcome aboard. Sounds like you may have applied for your new membership during the time that the BCA Nationals were going on in Colorado Springs--- Our Office Mgrs, Mike & Nancy Book were in attendance at the meet and thus may be the reason for the delay in response to your application-- give them a little time to get back to Ohio and catch up on things-- you should hear from them shortly-- otherwise go back to the application and their e-mail address is is posted and you can drop them a quick line about your app.

Edited by dkbuick75 (see edit history)

Welcome 57 Special, and Special 55 too. To Special 55, Sorry to hear that you haven't had follow up from the BCA. When did you send in your app? I 'd be glad to call the BCA office managers to see what they know, if you want to send me your name and address. If you don't want to post it here send a private message.

Yep U-haul is getting really serious about what you can tow with their auto transporters. If you are not towing something like an old beatle or Honda or something compact, forget renting auto transporter. I am planning on buying a transporter or perhaps a flatbed. Funny thing, U-haul will rent a tow dolly for bigger vehicles, which to me is far worse as far as safety.:eek:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 57Special

This Saturday past we made it to the local BCA and Oldsmobile clubs' all GM show in Rockville, MD after Thursday: passing inspection; Friday: getting tagged. Thursday's success in large part due to the assist of my mechanic pal Jim and older brother Damon, who hep'ed me to drum brakes (I can run a brake lathe now--thanks Jim!). We had a blast in our first 'participant capacity' at a car show/here are a few shots:

l_f132f23f0b7a4df9af8d1384a7863a75.jpg

Our super-awesome trunk display entitled "things we found in it at the barn" :)

l_57ff922a69ea4a07aa2e76c30ee31d57.jpg

The Roadmaster at right won big--as did the Chevy at left, come to think of it. We Won By Making the Show!

l_2db72b168f674702a0e9ead936079940.jpg

Congratulations! You have a great looking car there, it cleaned up spectacular. Next to the 58's, I think the 57's are some of the best. You should be proud of your accomplishments. Thanks for the pictures and, do not be a stranger, we are not as bad as some people might think.

Welcome!!

Stevo

Edited by serb (see edit history)

Don't you just love the interior/exterior color combinations you could get then? The combinations are almost unlimited. Brown exterior with green interior. It looks like someone tried to paint the top of the engine to match the interior.

Love the three piece back glass, too.

Good luck and, above all, have fun.

Guest Straight eight

Georgeous Car, you are so lucky!!!

Back in 56,57 I did new car preparation for a Buick Dealer in Grand Rapids, MI.

They allowed us 2 1/2 hours for each car to be preped, that included the original tune up of the engine, checking all doors for fit, checking all the lights, and then the fun, a road test to make sure all was right with the world. Experience taught me that timing should be right on the mark, and the dwell set at 28 degrees when installing points.

Has anyone told you about Wesleys Tire Cleaner? Spray it on the white, rub with a ruff sponge, and rinse with a hose. The longer you leave it on, the more bleach action. True Green is a less powerfull option.