29 DA-6 generator cut-out wiring

Hi,

I've got the rebuilt generator in on my 29 DA 6 and have mounted the cut-out. I've got 2 wires from the generator on the cab side of the cut-out. I believe one is a ground to the mounting cut-out screw and one attaches to the cut-out, but can't figure out which is which. Does it matter? I know one side of the cut-out attaches to a wire in the loom, but these other 2 wires I can't figure out. I took a photo before dissassembly, but it is unclear. Can anyone help? Thanks

Guest 1930

Hi Bob, as far as I know there are only supposed to be two wires that connect to generator cut-out and they are pretty self explanatory considering their length as to where they would go. If you post a pict. here than maybe it would help. I might just be misunderstanding you but it sounds like you have three wires.

post-48869-143138089718_thumb.jpg

Jason, thanks for the photo. Hmmmmmmm, yes I do have 3 wires. One I understand comes from the main harness. I've had the generator rebuilt, but even before that there were 2 old cloth covered wires coming from the generator at the same location. One of those went to the cut-out and another was a ground that went to a screw that held the generator in place....I just can't figure out which is which since my original photo is bad and it's been rewired ...now you have me wondering if one of those 2 is even necessary. I'll see if I can get a photo. Thanks!

What is the type/number on the plate of your generator? You may have a generator that used an early regulator. They had 2 wires coming out of the generator. The cutout is basically just a circuit breaker and only needs one wire. The current is set by the third brush adjustment.

Jason, here are my photos with the 2 wires. I don't have the loom installed with the wire from the battery yet, so just the 2 out of the generator show.

To hwellens the number on the plate is not readable...on the pulley however there is a number 18P149....don't know if that helps...again one of these wires was a ground to the screw that holds the cut-out to the generator. If the cut-out is just a circuit breaker and the wires come from the same spot inside the generator maybe the wires are interchangable and it doesn't matter which wire is a ground and which one is mounted to the cut-out...??? Thoughts? Thanks.

post-56954-143138089762_thumb.jpg

post-56954-143138089767_thumb.jpg

John, yeah, you just have the one wire out of the generator like Jason does. My generator with the 2 wires was original and still had the old cloth covered wire on it until I got it rebuilt. Thanks for the photo. Sure do envy the Clum switch in your photo!

John, yeah, you just have the one wire out of the generator like Jason does. My generator with the 2 wires was original and still had the old cloth covered wire on it until I got it rebuilt. Thanks for the photo. Sure do envy the Clum switch in your photo!
Do you still need the Clum switch?

I don't think the wires are interchangeable. One has to go to the charging side which I think is the 3rd brush. If the other is just a ground then maybe you can see with an ohm meter if it is grounded to the case. Don't know why that would be needed. You may have to take it apart and see where the wires go. Still think you have about a 1935 Mopar generator that came with the 2 wire "two charge" regulator.

Well, I may have to take it back to the place that rebuilt it and find out. I am a novice here and wouldn't know brush 3 from brushes 1 & 2. I did look at the plate again to see if I could fins anything that said 'Northeast' on it, but I didn't see the brand. I did look with a magnifying glass ( my old eyes aren't what they used to be) and I found this number engraved on the plate:

G (or6) AR 46081 5 6 0 074790 or that's what it looks to be like.

Thanks a lot.....between all my posts from earlier this year my engine number doesn't match to my serial number, my horn isn't original and now my generator may be from later date....weird!

I don't even know if this helps, but here is a wiring diagram from a 1930 book. It shows the medium black braided wire going to the ammeter from the cutout. The other end of the cutout is hooked up to the wire coming out of the generator case. Do you have an instruction book that shows two wires coming out of the case? Maybe you have the incorrect generator.

post-37352-143138089804_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138089807_thumb.jpg

Guest 1930

Johns gen. is Delco and Regulator obiousely as well, as far as I know Delco took over Northeast in late 29 early 30. I dont think your Gen is original, The tag is not a Northeast tag that I am familiar with, the shape is different on the ends, more rounded, the screw configuration where the cutout is mounted is in a different place and also I notice that your front endplate is different looking as well. And also the wires coming out are in a different area and the two wires give it away as well. Dont know what that Gen. might have come off of. I would be curious if you can read the tag and tell me who made it. The original Northeast Gen. are hard to find, I have been looking for a spare myself, I have maybe seen a couple on e-bay but 100 plus is just too much money for a Gen that prob. needs a rebuild anyway. You can defanitely find one if you want one but it will just take time and work.

Guest 1930

As I am sure you know Bob its to be expected that things dont match, alot of years have passed and the cars have changed hands often. Dont let it get you down, when I started I did not know anything about these cars and what parts were original but keep asking questions and collect any material you can and you will learn, a third brush is ieasy to spot if you take off that band on the far right of your Gen. You will see it clearly, I myself have never adjusted one, dont know snickers about them but I have read on here real good explanations of how to adjust and have saved them somewhere and when I need to I will learn quick enough. I myself look forward to finding things that are not original on my car, it gives me a goal to meet, its my hobby and that is how I have fun with it. Decide what is acceptible to you and meet that goal and have fun with your car in whatever way you choose, in the end none of this is really going to matter anyway if you know what I mean.

Thanks all of you for the info.....thanks, Jason for the kind words....it's not getting me down, it's just everything seems like a surprise....I'm just learning something every day.... hwellens said this may be from a '35 Mopar....no name is on the plate,except for the number I gave previously. For now I'll use this generator and see what wire goes to what spot, but I'll look for a '29 Northeast model generator in the meantime. I do appreciate everyone's input. Have a great evening!

Wow, thanks a lot!!! It looks just like mine in all the different profiles. Guess I'll use this one until I get a proper generator. Thanks!
Maybe you can find a wiring diagram for a 1935 or 1936 Dodge and that will tell you how to wire it up.

Hwellens, I am curious to know where that info came from, it is nice to see it all on one page like that. Easier to look up.

Guest DodgeKCL

Your generator is of approx. 1935 vintage. The fan on the front gives it away. The 2 wires coming out of the generator were for 'FIELD' and 'ARMATURE'. The 'F' and 'A' stamped on a complete voltage regulator. The other terminal is 'B' to go to the battery (through the ammeter).

The reason you believe one wire went to ground was because there was only a cut-out on the generator and so the FIELD wire would have to be grounded.

This is where the FIELD wire went internally in the original 'short Chevy' DELCO generators. All Chrysler vehicles had them 'til late 1934 (atleast Plymouths and Dodges). As mentioned they were adjusted for max. output by adjusting the position of a '3rd brush' on a low charged battery,normally around 15 to 20 amps. It's not critical since we don't use our cars in freezing cold winters on short drives and need to get the battery back up to full charge in a very short time.

There was only one wire on the basic generator and it goes to the cut-out and the output of the cut-out goes to the wiring loom and hence to the ammeter.

At some point in it's life your car has been 'modified' to accept a later generator and the guy knew to just ground the FIELD wire and connect the ARMATURE lead to the cutout.

I suspect a lot of this went on. If you look at those pictures in Ebay of engines on original cars and trucks you'll see a lot of them have full voltage regulators screwed to the firewalls and later model generators,like yours, on the engine. Who ever did yours never went the extra mile and put on a 'new' voltage regulator.

DodgeKCL, thanks for the info.... hwellens did say it was used on '35-'36 Dodges with a deluxe regulator. I didn't know what a deluxe regulator was, but I think you've explained it. I'll just have to take off a band and see what wire goes where per hwellens attachment diagram. I've had this car since '71 and it has always had this generator with this regulator cut-out and one wire was always grounded to the regulator attachment screw......I guess the milkman (1st owner) or the guy who courted his future wife and went on a honeymoon in the car (2nd owner) changed it up a bit; me ( 3rd owner) not knowing any better thought it was original. There is a place called Antique Auto Supply near me that has supplied me with some parts before and I'll just have to search for the proper regulator for this generator until I can find a proper Northeast generator for the car. Thanks a lot and have a good day!

Hwellens, I am curious to know where that info came from, it is nice to see it all on one page like that. Easier to look up.

The diagram of the generator came from a book that has all the 1935-1938 Mopar generator and starter details. The other listing is from a book that lists original electrical equipment for all cars. If you need your details let me know.