'34 Airflow

Guest danajohnson

Guest danajohnson

Going to check out a '34 Airlflow today. This car is supposed to be an Imperial. Looks to be a 4 door. Can anyone tell me what to look for to tell if it is an Imperial. It is titled as one. Thanks for your help.

The 1934 Airflow designations are as follows: CY=Airflow 6 cylinder. CU=Airflow 8 cylinder. CV=Imperial Airflow 8 cylinder. CX=Custom Imperial Airflow 8 cylinder. CW=Custom Imperial Airflow 8 cylinder (special models limited production, one piece windshield). Hope this helps. John

post-37352-143138089018_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138089021_thumb.jpg

Guest danajohnson

Well went and checked it out. It is a '34 Imperial CV with a wheel base of 127 1/2". Triple bar bumpers. Looks like it's all there but a lot of it in boxes. Did have most chrome, fender skirts w/emblems and even a radio. Not quite sure what it's worth. Any ideas? NADA says 20,000 low book. May be worth more in parts.

That's the ugliest train ever. The Airflow in the pic looks sweet. Look at the tire size on that bad boy :) Love the bumper too.

Value can be argued forever, but is it a basket case, running, rotted, etc? I'd worry more about some rare missing parts and would spread it all out to see what is really missing. Very nice car to save IMO

Guest danajohnson

Here's a few pics supplied by the owner. She's a bit rough around the edges, but doable!

post-62326-143138089054_thumb.jpg

post-62326-143138089056_thumb.jpg

post-62326-143138089058_thumb.jpg

post-62326-14313808906_thumb.jpg

One of the old car mags had some sort of percentage average for guessing how many exist of whatever year/make/model.

There are 2 grille styles in the pics and I don't see the mating piece for the grille that looks like Keisers pic. Like I said, missing parts would be my main concern before judging price or rarity.

I have a few oldies and I find no enjoyment in looking for parts anymore.

On the bright side, that car shows little evidence of body rot/holes etc. It almost looks like a car that was saved out of a junkyard many decades ago, and maybe that's why a lot of parts were taken off/sold. If true, then you need to find out what parts were bought for the car, and "IF" they are even correct. Pics dated 2007? so maybe was for sale a long while?...or maybe taken when they bought it...

Guest danajohnson

The car has a 34 grille in it and he also had a 35 in the garage. He says he's had this car for about 35 yrs. Him and his dad were going to restore but never got there. Now he's a bit older and unable and his WIFE says it has to go. He pulled parts from another car several years ago. I was looking through things and most items were there with the exception of the carb which was broke and the taillights. Most everything else there but would need to do an inventory. He even had the windows but some were broken.

One of the old car mags had some sort of percentage average for guessing how many exist of whatever year/make/model.

There are 2 grille styles in the pics and I don't see the mating piece for the grille that looks like Keisers pic. Like I said, missing parts would be my main concern before judging price or rarity.

I have a few oldies and I find no enjoyment in looking for parts anymore.

On the bright side, that car shows little evidence of body rot/holes etc. It almost looks like a car that was saved out of a junkyard many decades ago, and maybe that's why a lot of parts were taken off/sold. If true, then you need to find out what parts were bought for the car, and "IF" they are even correct. Pics dated 2007? so maybe was for sale a long while?...or maybe taken when they bought it...

The first 2 photos are of 1934s. The third photo is a 1935.

Guest danajohnson

As I'm doing a little more research I have found that the CV had a 325 ci but looking on the title it says that it has a 385 ci which came in the CW. Could that have been done?

Guest REPO MAN

Dana,

I can shed some light on why you have 2 grilles. I am not Airflow expert but I have owned a 36 Chrysler Airflow and personally inspected 3 others.

The 34 Airflows were NOT well received by the buying public. They were the "Edsel" of their time. Of particular disdain was that waterfall grille SO Chrysler authorized the already stamped 35 grille as a non cost replacement for the owners of the 34. There were two reasons for this - one the ridicule owners were receiving and 2. unsold 34's were fiited with the 35 conversion grille at dealerships. They were NOT sold as 1935's but at least potential buyers could be wooed to buy a heavily discounted 34.

The Airflow Club of America recognizes the 35 conversion grilles on restored judged cars, as does the AACA. There is a difference between the 2 as there is a section of the 34 waterfall grille that is either exposed or left an obvious open area - I can't 100% remember but even though the 35 replacement grille looks nice - you can still tell it replaced something and wasn't seamless.

You may be correct this may be an "Imperial" class Airflow but 127 1/2 inches makes me wonder if it isn't just a Chrysler Airflow. Imperial Airflows in 1934-35 were massive cars - is my understanding and built in limited numbers.

What you are cnsidering purchasing is a cool expression of the move in the 1930's toward "streamlining" and "Art Deco" IF you can live with the waterfall grille of 1934, then you are sitting in an awesome car, not your grocery-getter mid priced car. They required a lot of hand massaging - especially the Imperials.

Today they are much more admired then in 1934-1937.

To be fair, Chrysler immediately started de-emphasizing the design, ergo we get the 1935 grille conversion followed by the actual 35-37 upright grilles which balanced these cars tremendously.

Sitting next to a "regular" say 1935-36 American vehicle the Airflow looks radical but in the fog of time, they don't look crazy. I can still look at an Edsel and call it ugly, at least the horse collar grille. But I can easily walk around an Airflow and point out graceful perfection in it's lines, even though engineers designed the Airflow.

The designers of the interior also created a masterpiece. The Airflow design was intended to mimic the train "streamliners" of the day with thin chrome armrest extensions, seats and overhead lighting. Details in the dash instruments, the horn button and hupcaps echoed the Art Deco school of design then in vogue - an appeal to the woman of the day as much as the man.

Having said all this, it is absolutely critical that you confirm ALL Airflow parts are there. My 36 was a stripped car when I purchased it. I was never able to get the rare stripped parts such as taillamps, headlamp surrounds. interior trim, seats, door handles.

The Airflow crowd are rabid hoarders - and this is NOT an indictment on the Airflow Club, ALL Airflow collectors tend to hoard the rare non interchangeable parts. ebay auctions will pit you against guys with much more savvy and pockets so deep they would mortgage their house for a NOS part, even if it was a 3rd spare!

I would NOT spend over $5,000 for the car you have provided pictures of. In the past 3 years, under a casual search - I don't look at Airflows very often - I have seen at least 7 Imperial class Airflow projects offered for $3500 to $7000. I personally know one 34 Airflows with about a 133 inch wheelbase with the 35 conversion grille - went from Arizona to New England for about $4500 and it was a nice dry solid project.

I went to see an all original complete 37 Airflow C17 Imperial in northwest Iowa that went for $4000. I saw a nice 36 project on ebay that the guy ran for months with a about a $6000 reserve.

So go in with eyes wide open. If everything is there then your bid can be what you feel comfortable with. May be you want THAT car and it is close by. Maybe you aren't necessarily looking for an Airflow but THIS one caught your eye.

Good luck and let us know what you decide. This car WILL BE saved rest assured. Like a vulture to fresh carrion, an Airflow collector will find it.

Try the Airflow Club @ The Official Web Site of the Airflow Club of America!

I saw your pictures, !##^%( Remember it will be another $25,000 before you are the proud driver of that car. But when you do, they are a hellava car.

I did 9 Great Races in this 1935 C9, the car did 12 Great Races and one Around the World Race, London to London. Still in use today!

Ted's TAXI picture by PaulDobbin - Photobucket

Good Luck

I really like that waterfall 34 grille. That makes sense to me as I do like Deco, plus that grille was an intregal part of the original design. The afterthought grille looks afterthought :)

I really like that waterfall 34 grille. That makes sense to me as I do like Deco, plus that grille was an intregal part of the original design. The afterthought grille looks afterthought :)
The noses on the 1937s were even MORE of an afterthought and Chrysler's way of trying to conform to conventional designs somewhat.

Guest danajohnson

Thanks for all the good info. You guys are awesome. I really wasn't looking for this car but it found me twice.

My '30 takes a lot of my time but is nearing completion. Maybe I can keep this one in my back pocket for later.