Are glass headlight lenses something that can be reproduced?

Guest boettger

Mike,

It probably would not make economic sense to reproduce any glass headlight lens except the most rare and unavailable ones.

Here in the States almost every auto flea market has bins full of new and used lens. They are quite available for most configurations. Most of us that vend at flea markets have more than a few available. Lots of lens came available as surplus from parts stores and dealers back when the sealed beams and sealed beam conversions became common. There's still a bunch around.

I wonder if a shop that does blown glass, or makes stained glass plate could help? I read a book on creating stain glass windows from start to finish a number of years ago, and it was very interesting. Much of this work is done in small quantities. It may be a good place to start. Dandy Dave!

It could be done if you had a mold. I was surprised to find that they used to form bottles in wooden molds. What kind of mold you would need to form a headlight lense I do not know.

I have heard of making a headlight lense of flat glass then making a frosted pattern on it by sandblasting. This was to make a lense for an antique car that was not available.

Guest boettger

You are right Mika! Those lens might be not be around in any quantity. No Ideas on reproducing them. Good Luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldwhizzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If we had some measurements we might be able to help. ow </div></div>

Hi, sorry, I haven't got the measurements, since I don't have any lenses... atleast not yet.

A lot of cars used lenses manufactured by the same glassworks. What make lense did your car use? Maybe it was used on other makes or years. A bit of research should get you the name and size of the lense you need or can use. Good luck in your search that is what this hobby is about.