battery needs ;`64

Guest REX STALLION

Guest REX STALLION

what sort (amp wise) of battery should I be using in my`64? It`s time for a new one so I want to get one that will be sure to work. This is a non A/C car but has a power seat and windows. I will be adding a power antenna later as well

The biggest one that will physically fit with the most CCA's. The original is a Type 27. I've been using the 27F in my two cars. The original Type 27 put the postive post closest to the radiator but ran the cables between the filler caps. I've seen lots of these batteries installed 180* off which puts the positive post out close to the fender and the inner hood braces. Take it from me (experience is the best teacher) a good unseen pothole can cause the positive post to come in contact with the inner hood brace and short out your ENTIRE electrical system. I lucked out and the short only went as far as an aftermarket amp meter - fried that sucker. The 27F allows the postive post to sit toward the radiator and puts both posts toward the rear of the battery. Spend some money and buy a good American made battery. Walmart has replaced the Chinese battery that came with my '85 coupe four times already in the past two years and I need to take it back and this time get a refund. I've had the best luck with Interstate batteries. I'll add to this post later with a factory photo of a 63 that clearly shows the battery and cable arrangement I referred to earlier.

Ed

I agree with Ed, get the 27F; keep that positive post next to the radiator!

The battery cables are supposed to cross on their way up to the battery posts: ground cable from the PS pump and positive cable from the horn relay post on the inner fender. Many guys think that crossing these wires is wrong but it is not. That's the way Buick shipped them from the factory, with the cables crossed.

I ran an Optima Red Top in my '64 for a year and it worked great. Its like 880CCA and has never ever given me a lick of trouble. It was charged out of the shrink wrap that was 4yrs old and I've been nothing but impressed with it. I'll get part number if you're interested.

Here's the photo I promised. It's taken from a dealer brochure titled "The Rivera...By Buick"

Look closely at the cable closest to the radiator (acutally the only cable you can see) and you'll see a stamped P on it. That's the positive cable. With today's maintenance free batteries, you no longer have the filler caps to contend with. However, the 27F moves the posts farther back away from the inner hood braces. Battery selection depends a lot on how close to original you're trying for, or if you just want a good one for your driver.

Ed

I ate a pair of regulators before discovering my alterator plug had pulled a wire out of the socket. Once I got that fixed and replaced with a replacement Borg Warner unit, the electrical system was perfect till I pulled the nailhead last summer.