My 58 roadmaster and 59 Olds dynamic 88

d2_willys

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Centurion</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, love the color combination on the Roadmaster coupe! This is a spectacular car. </div></div>

Thanks Brian!

The colors are original paint colors, with the top being a rare color. Love my Buick! And all my other classics. But the Buick is top dog.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: serb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my humble opoinion, one of if not the greatest car Buick ever made. 1958 Buick Roadmaster two door Hardtop.

Beautiful.

stevo </div></div>

Thanks for the compliments, I agree, one fine automobile.

d2_willys

Man have you hit the mother load with your two prizes for me!!!!!!!!

The 58's are the best (owning 4) and the Olds looks great! My Dad bought a Ninety-Eight four door flat top as a used car back in 67 which after a brake job we went on a month family vacation putting just under 8,000 miles in and only used two quarts of oil! If I can find the pic of it sitting in the parking lot at the Dam at Lake Powell will post it.

Fantastic collection, enjoy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: d2_willys</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here are two of my most recent acquisitions. That's me in the driver's seat of the Buick. eek.gif</div></div>

Is that a DeSoto to the left of the '59?

Guest abh3usn

I love how huge the Roadmaster is! It's hard to comprehend if you haven't seen one in person. Beautiful color combo as well. Talk about room! You could fit an entire football team in that sucker! You should probably buy stock in chrome or stainless polish. Nice addition to the garage for sure! Love 'em! It's cool to see the diffrence in styling between the '58 & '59 as well. Wern't the '58 Buicks advertised as the B-58s ??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smartin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you signed up on the 58 Buick forums?

http://www.1958buickforum.net/forums/index.php </div></div>

No I haven't but will. I will also ask about the rear bumper, it is suppose to have black stripes or something on it. Needs to be rechromed as the right side is flaking. Also bumper has a little rust around the tailights so I will try and get that done over the next year.

Thanks for the link and the compliments.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: abh3usn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love how huge the Roadmaster is! It's hard to comprehend if you haven't seen one in person. Beautiful color combo as well. Talk about room! You could fit an entire football team in that sucker! You should probably buy stock in chrome or stainless polish. Nice addition to the garage for sure! Love 'em! It's cool to see the diffrence in styling between the '58 & '59 as well. Wern't the '58 Buicks advertised as the B-58s ?? </div></div>

Yep, b58's with the b12000 engine. Yep that IS the chrome king of automobiles. I think this one has more than the 58 limited. If not, close. I like the Roady better than the limited.

The color combo is stock colors, but the top color is very rare.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dei</div><div class="ubbcode-body">d2_willys

Man have you hit the mother load with your two prizes for me!!!!!!!!

The 58's are the best (owning 4) and the Olds looks great! My Dad bought a Ninety-Eight four door flat top as a used car back in 67 which after a brake job we went on a month family vacation putting just under 8,000 miles in and only used two quarts of oil! If I can find the pic of it sitting in the parking lot at the Dam at Lake Powell will post it.

Fantastic collection, enjoy. </div></div>

Thanks for the compliments. Both cars are in excellent condition, just need a little TLC. Just got the 58 transferred into my name.

Those two are monsters, compared to my other cars. Trying to figure out how to garage the 58. One of my others will come out. Need to get quotes on extending out the garage.

BTW: You say you have 4 58 Buicks, what models?

Cool purchase. Love the Buick and the Olds looks like a solid car.

My pop always had Buicks till one day he bought a new 60 Olds Flatop 4 dr Ninety Eight. Man that 394 had some power. Dad would load all six kids and mom on a Saturday night and take us to the ice cream stand. On one deserted stretch of road he's always light the rear tires. My brothers went crazy for this and thought the 60 Olds was king of the hill, especially over the 55 Special 4 dr. with the stick shift that Dad had just given to my Aunt. Wasn't too long before I couldn't tell if the smoke back there was from the tires or the exhaust pipes as it became a real oil burner within a few short years. But it always could rip those tires up no matter how much it smoked.

Later my brother tried to kill the Buick so he could drive the 98. But the damned thing would not die. Luckilly for me though, as that's what I used to learn how to drive a stick shift.

Nice cars!

Guest morje58

Hi d2_willys

Nice car you got there.

I also have 1958 Buick

A two door and a 4 door Super.

Do you know if it was black on the Rear fender molding orig. Just like the rear bumper molding is to be. I am thinking on painting my super black on the rear fender molding like your´s Roadmaster is.

Thank you

Morten

DENMARK

Yes storage for these land yachts is an issue. Always had to pay a bit more in the early days than the guys storing Model A's because the guy could get more of them in and mine took up more space reducing his income.

I have a huge sentimental attachment to my Buicks as three of them are the first cars I owned. The first is a Limited 2dr that Dad handed down to me. It today has become a parts car for another Limited 2dr that I found shortly after getting married in 1980 that was the identical colour and optioned as mine with only 57,000 miles. The second Buick, 58 Special convert I purchased found me through a car club member knowing I had the Limited and being a red car with white top and 18 years old had to have it! The third one is a 58 Roadmaster convert that while it needs everything but ran could not resist at the whopping price of $90.00!

Again, storage IS the biggest issue and while I have three at home the garage is packed to the rafters with my 35 year collection of parts I felt needed to someday get at them and one day do them proud so for now I kind of walk carefully into the garage and back out because there is not enough room to turn around let alone work on anything (not really, ha,ha).

I'm sure some might find this story a bit campy and sad that they are not finished but with two boys and one still in college I have to wait a little longer to get at them. At least should they get the cars after my time here there is a great start for them to work with.

So my SINCERE congrats on your purchase and if I can offer, drive yours and enjoy it. To me getting there is half the fun, Doug.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dei</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes storage for these land yachts is an issue. Always had to pay a bit more in the early days than the guys storing Model A's because the guy could get more of them in and mine took up more space reducing his income.

I have a huge sentimental attachment to my Buicks as three of them are the first cars I owned. The first is a Limited 2dr that Dad handed down to me. It today has become a parts car for another Limited 2dr that I found shortly after getting married in 1980 that was the identical colour and optioned as mine with only 57,000 miles. The second Buick, 58 Special convert I purchased found me through a car club member knowing I had the Limited and being a red car with white top and 18 years old had to have it! The third one is a 58 Roadmaster convert that while it needs everything but ran could not resist at the whopping price of $90.00!

Again, storage IS the biggest issue and while I have three at home the garage is packed to the rafters with my 35 year collection of parts I felt needed to someday get at them and one day do them proud so for now I kind of walk carefully into the garage and back out because there is not enough room to turn around let alone work on anything (not really, ha,ha).

I'm sure some might find this story a bit campy and sad that they are not finished but with two boys and one still in college I have to wait a little longer to get at them. At least should they get the cars after my time here there is a great start for them to work with.

So my SINCERE congrats on your purchase and if I can offer, drive yours and enjoy it. To me getting there is half the fun, Doug. </div></div>

Curious about the Limiteds and Roadie. Do they all have the FlightPitch transmission? Or have they been converted over to the VP dynaflow? Mine has original flightpitch.

BTW: My kids are all grown up and live in AZ. So now I have wife, and three dachshunds to take care of. But time is limited, as is money. I have a 54 Lincoln Capri, 54 Chrysler NYDeluxe, and Hudson Superjet, that need alot of work, mainly body and interior. Sadly I have not done much on them, but I am going to try and get back to them soon. At least get the body work done, and painted. Trying to get garage extension built for the other cars that are in driveway. Thinking of getting quotes for next spring, at least for the foundation/slab. I will probably frame it myself, then get roofer and mason to do rest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: morje58</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi d2_willys

Nice car you got there.

I also have 1958 Buick

A two door and a 4 door Super.

Do you know if it was black on the Rear fender molding orig. Just like the rear bumper molding is to be. I am thinking on painting my super black on the rear fender molding like your´s Roadmaster is.

Thank you

Morten

DENMARK </div></div>

Dunno about the black on the rear fender molding, I think it is, but the rear bumper needs to be brought back to original. (It needs to be rechromed, so I thought I would get some pics of the Roadie back view and restore it to original.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JohnD1956</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cool purchase. Love the Buick and the Olds looks like a solid car.

My pop always had Buicks till one day he bought a new 60 Olds Flatop 4 dr Ninety Eight. Man that 394 had some power. Dad would load all six kids and mom on a Saturday night and take us to the ice cream stand. On one deserted stretch of road he's always light the rear tires. My brothers went crazy for this and thought the 60 Olds was king of the hill, especially over the 55 Special 4 dr. with the stick shift that Dad had just given to my Aunt. Wasn't too long before I couldn't tell if the smoke back there was from the tires or the exhaust pipes as it became a real oil burner within a few short years. But it always could rip those tires up no matter how much it smoked.

Later my brother tried to kill the Buick so he could drive the 98. But the damned thing would not die. Luckilly for me though, as that's what I used to learn how to drive a stick shift.

Nice cars! </div></div>

My 59 Olds has 371 engine, but still can light 'em up anytime. The Buick is no slouch either, can haul when you floor it, even at light throttle, plenty of power.

Nailheads are hard to kill (Like Seagal)! LOL

Regarding the trany's: Both the Ltd`s and Roadmaster had the VP Dynaflows when I bought them. The curious thing about the Ltd`s is they both have the complete factory system for the air ride system EXCEPT for the bags. The (now) parts car levelers were in disrepairable shape when Dad got the car and other than the compressor power steering unit and height control there is nothing left. However, that car he was able to put on the highway for two years going to work 55 miles each way until the universal went out. That`s when I wanted to get my license and with his help together learned about enclosed drive shaft systems. Ahhhh the good old days, bought a used complete rear end for 25.00 only to find it came out of a Special (too narrow) but the universal was the same so..... a few skinned knuckles later on the road I was. That car had about 85,000 miles on it and showed 142000 when I stopped driving it.

The other Ltd again has what look like repairable parts (no Bags) but not sure from what I have read that I want to go there as it was prone to problems and hence the recall or replacement back to coil springs.

Short story about Arizona and Buicks: My sister went to ASU staying in Tempe. Flew out one Fall to visit and went to the local bone yards (south of Phoenix I believe) looking for a rear bumper for the Ltd. Found a 58 Roadmaster 2dr with a 1969 license plate and with an excellent driver quality bumper for the sum of 100.00! They handed me the wrenches and said good luck! Being from the rust belt (Canada & salt) I thought is this worth it. Dry Arizona, Dahh no problem! You should have seen me taking it back to my sister`s apartment. She drove down from home (Canada across the river from Detroit) in her 1960 Corvair which I had borrowed to get this bumper. The only way I could get it in the car was to roll down the back windows and hang it out the windows (too tired to take it all apart). Can`t imagine what the guys behind me thought was going on when they came upon this creation.

Found a pic when I had to relocate three of the cars in 1990. The red is the Special, the black is the good Ltd and the front of the other is the Roadmaster.

post-36036-143138082519_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dei</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Regarding the trany's: Both the Ltd`s and Roadmaster had the VP Dynaflows when I bought them. The curious thing about the Ltd`s is they both have the complete factory system for the air ride system EXCEPT for the bags. The (now) parts car levelers were in disrepairable shape when Dad got the car and other than the compressor power steering unit and height control there is nothing left. However, that car he was able to put on the highway for two years going to work 55 miles each way until the universal went out. That`s when I wanted to get my license and with his help together learned about enclosed drive shaft systems. Ahhhh the good old days, bought a used complete rear end for 25.00 only to find it came out of a Special (too narrow) but the universal was the same so..... a few skinned knuckles later on the road I was. That car had about 85,000 miles on it and showed 142000 when I stopped driving it.

The other Ltd again has what look like repairable parts (no Bags) but not sure from what I have read that I want to go there as it was prone to problems and hence the recall or replacement back to coil springs.

Short story about Arizona and Buicks: My sister went to ASU staying in Tempe. Flew out one Fall to visit and went to the local bone yards (south of Phoenix I believe) looking for a rear bumper for the Ltd. Found a 58 Roadmaster 2dr with a 1969 license plate and with an excellent driver quality bumper for the sum of 100.00! They handed me the wrenches and said good luck! Being from the rust belt (Canada & salt) I thought is this worth it. Dry Arizona, Dahh no problem! You should have seen me taking it back to my sister`s apartment. She drove down from home (Canada across the river from Detroit) in her 1960 Corvair which I had borrowed to get this bumper. The only way I could get it in the car was to roll down the back windows and hang it out the windows (too tired to take it all apart). Can`t imagine what the guys behind me thought was going on when they came upon this creation.

Found a pic when I had to relocate three of the cars in 1990. The red is the Special, the black is the good Ltd and the front of the other is the Roadmaster. </div></div>

So you have the VP dynaflows in all of them (PNDLR). Too bad you don't have the correct transmissions in the Limited and Roadie (PRNDG). Mine is original, and even though it leaks a little transmission fluid, it still will take the VP dynaflow in the 1/4 mile.

Sounds like you got a steal on the bumper. Mine needs rechroming, but is otherwise fine.

You are right that it is too bad not having the FP in the cars and I have heard that those do indeed make a difference with better off the line performance but can tell you that given enough time (ha,ha) even my Special still has the capability of doing over 100. Had a long stretch of new highway nearby some years ago that wasn't open to the public yet and after putting on new radial tires plus ball joints wondered if there was much left in her. Now, bearing in mind how accurate the speedometer is she still rolled up to 105 with a bit more pedal left till coming to my senses! I've never seen that much red on that speedo since and thank my luck stars no police were out that Sunday morning.

Both cars tend to leak / seep when not used for some time and have come to just keep on hand extra fluid and park over spare cardboard which helps keep the floor clean. Has anyone tried a product from Lucas that is for keeping trans seals in good order? I put their oil additive in my GMC 1/2 ton (V6) which has over 150000 miles and she does not burn any oil or noisy at all. Wondered how the trans stuff would be for the VP seals?

As to the bumper, while it was not dented or rusted still would only be considered driver quality but still a good buy even back then. I had collected spare bumper parts for the Special and had them re chromed about five years ago and without purchase costs had about 1600 Canadian in it but is ready to bolt on when I get to the body & paint.

I really wish I had the ability like some of you guys to get at your cars to get them done. Seems looking back I've spent more time collecting stuff than doing them up. So much to do, so little time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dei</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are right that it is too bad not having the FP in the cars and I have heard that those do indeed make a difference with better off the line performance but can tell you that given enough time (ha,ha) even my Special still has the capability of doing over 100. Had a long stretch of new highway nearby some years ago that wasn't open to the public yet and after putting on new radial tires plus ball joints wondered if there was much left in her. Now, bearing in mind how accurate the speedometer is she still rolled up to 105 with a bit more pedal left till coming to my senses! I've never seen that much red on that speedo since and thank my luck stars no police were out that Sunday morning.

Both cars tend to leak / seep when not used for some time and have come to just keep on hand extra fluid and park over spare cardboard which helps keep the floor clean. Has anyone tried a product from Lucas that is for keeping trans seals in good order? I put their oil additive in my GMC 1/2 ton (V6) which has over 150000 miles and she does not burn any oil or noisy at all. Wondered how the trans stuff would be for the VP seals?

As to the bumper, while it was not dented or rusted still would only be considered driver quality but still a good buy even back then. I had collected spare bumper parts for the Special and had them re chromed about five years ago and without purchase costs had about 1600 Canadian in it but is ready to bolt on when I get to the body & paint.

I really wish I had the ability like some of you guys to get at your cars to get them done. Seems looking back I've spent more time collecting stuff than doing them up. So much to do, so little time. </div></div>

Can you tell me how they did those stripes on the back bumper (on the roadmaster)? Was it some stick on stuff or did they actually have ridges like the side moldings have? I have tried to get better pics from the guy that is selling a roadie on ebay and he keeps sending me wide shots which do me no good. My back bumper needs rechroming, unless there are two plates which have the stripes on them. If they are separate plates, I think I can get them separately chromed and striped. Perhaps you can shoot some pics of the back bumper stripes from your roadie. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Good morning,

Just a quick response to your request. I believe I have the two pieces you are asking about somewhere in the garage that are off one of the bumpers but will have to look. Once I locate will post a pic or two to show better how they look. I'll try and get it done this weekend, Doug.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dei</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good morning,

Just a quick response to your request. I believe I have the two pieces you are asking about somewhere in the garage that are off one of the bumpers but will have to look. Once I locate will post a pic or two to show better how they look. I'll try and get it done this weekend, Doug. </div></div>

Great, thanks alot Doug

Hello d2_Willy,

After trying to find a needle in the haystack (have to admit my garage is a mess) finally found the two bumper pieces that I believe are off my Limited parts car which is the same size as your Roadmaster.

In case the pictures are not self explanitory these pieces appear to be STAINLESS STEEL not steel and chromed (makes sense since most of the trim is stainless on the car - wish I had stock in that company then). The stripes look to be high polished areas with black painted on later. The question becomes: was this a chassis mat finish or gloss? I took metal polish and some liquid chrome cleaner by hand to remove the rust from the upper portion of one. The rust is from the chromed steel parts bolted to the panels that never get cleaned or dried over the years. Found the black getting thinner the more I hand polished.

The polished stripe areas measure 1/8 inch wide and the painted striped measure 1/4 inch wide. If you see the picture of the back, while it appears to be painted silver, it is my opinion that this is unpolished stainless that has dulled resting against the steel plate that bolts to the upper chromed center panel where the fuel door is and the lower bumper rails and bumper ends. All this has to come apart in order to take these panels off.

Just to answer another question that came up, the side quarter stainless did not come with painted stripes from the factory. I might be wrong but the picture of yours appears to be a bit grainy or has a shadow making it appear to be painted black also. All my four cars show no signs of paint here but they are the same on the rear bumper (shall we call them) insert panels.

Hope this helps. It was a GOOD way to spend Fathers Day, Doug.

post-36036-143138086086_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143138086109_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143138086128_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143138086146_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143138086163_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dei</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, one more picture that needs to confirm measurements. </div></div>

thanks a bunch Doug. Really appreciate all your work and the pics. I have the right side peeling chrome off the piece (the previous owner chromed over the stainless steel pieces) and I think I will take the two down to a chrome shop and have them stripped of the chrome. Then I will try and duplicate the stripes. A previous post had me getting some drafting tape and using as a mask then painting the matte finish over the stainless. I think that will work just fine.

Again, much thanks!

Guest morje58

Hi

To dei

I do not think that the rear bumper pieces you have listet a photo of is for the Big serie , I do think they are for the small serie.

I do not know why but I cant get to add photo in this forum ?

BUT PLEASE TAKE A LOOK AT

www.picasaweb.google.com/morje58

qlik on the album 1958 Buick super two door

And let me know what you all think of it. They are the last pic in the album

The other album is of my 1958 Buick Super 4 door

I have just restored the bumper pieces on my 1958 Super.

They are made out of stainless steel yes , and the they are chromed. But they are not chrome all over . Just the stribes are chrome. How it is done I do not know. I have ask many chrome shop but no one can do just the stribes.

I have polish the chromed stribes up and put tape on them. And then they have been paintet over.

I do think they look nice

Morten

Denmark

Morten,

Regarding my rear bumper panels: you are correct that they are for the Special / Century cars.

I totally forgot about Dad having bought another bumper for the Limited because the original was so badly rotted back in 1970. When he went to put it on realized it was too short and..... didn't have the backup lights in the ends. Money being what it was then and not the correct bumper he unbolted one end, put long bolts in allowing a gap and ran it without backup lights. Sure was a funny looking Limited for those who would know this difference. Not sure I even have pictures of this.

After having taken it off the car some 20 years ago and apart didn't think to take it to my other Limited and compare size. Good eye to notice this from my pictures! Sorry for any confusion.

Your 2dr Super looks FINE! Doug.

d2_Willys,

About the panels, sorry but that is one of the few things I do not have extra. Sounds like a good idea though. Might have to take into consideration the thickness to get it bolted against the backing panel and bumper ends. Will keep an eye out should something show up. Enjoy your Holiday Weekend, Doug.

• 3 months later...
d2_Willys,

About the panels, sorry but that is one of the few things I do not have extra. Sounds like a good idea though. Might have to take into consideration the thickness to get it bolted against the backing panel and bumper ends. Will keep an eye out should something show up. Enjoy your Holiday Weekend, Doug.

Doug: I have been working on the 58 Roadie and found the left wiper shaft has broken away from the bracket going to the motor link. Do you have one of these assemblies that I could buy from you?

d2_Willys,

Just now see your post and will have to get out to the parts car after I pull out the service manual to better understand what you are looking for. Bear with me for a bit as finally work has picked up and ....... feast or famine thing. Will try to look into it by or over the weekend as our Thanksgiving is this coming Monday. If I have what you need it will only be a used part but lets see first, Doug.