how do you Polarize a delco remy generator on a 1932 CI?

• 1 year later...
Guest Thumpersloper
does any one know the procedure to polarize the generator on a 1932 CI

this is a three brush one output wire generator

Can anybody tell me the maximum safe continuous output in amps or watts of a Delco Remy 927D 6 volt 3 brush dynamo fitted to my 1930 Cadillac please?

It is like the one pictured and has the cutout built on top of it

Guest Thumpersloper

I just want to know the rating of the dynamo please. I know how to set it up but want to know what its maximum safe output is. Cant be much as there's not much to run.

My guess is its around 15 amps, can anyone confirm please?

Has anyone got a handbook or maintenance manual that gives a figure?

Guest JohnArthurSpinks

The maximum standard charging rate of a 927D generator is 10 - 12 amperes (Hot) at 7.3 - 7.7 volts reached at 1600 RPM or 25 miles per hour.

Cheers

John Spinks

Aussie Chrysler Airflow C9 Coupe

Guest Thumpersloper

Thanks everyone for your replies especially Startergenrebuilder and John Arthur Spinks.

That's the figures I need.

I'm converting the dynamo to 2 brush and 12v with an electronic regulator hidden in the defunct cutout shell. If I've done the figurin' right then the reg needs to be rated at 11 amps max @ 12v.

Startergenrebuilder, have you other output figures for pre war American dynamos? I could use them if you have please.

I should have all specs for American Vehicles from 1913 or so through late 1950's/60's. What other specs are you looking for?

If you are planning on converting the generator to 12V by just installing a regulator and pulling the third brush, you may want to re-consider. The current 6-volt field coils will draw too much current for the 12-volt regulator. You may burn up the field control points. I can wind you a set of coils for 12-volt. I'd have to look and see if it is a set I already have or if I would have to wind them with yours in hand to match. The armature will be fine, but you really should switch the fields. Drop me an email if you have any questions.

Jason

Advanced Electrical Rebuilders

jason@aerrebuild.com

Advanced Electrical Rebuilders - Antique Auto - Marine - Agricultural - Industrial