Time Machine Wanted

Grandpa

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave Fields</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the second picture, the first car is a Dodge, the 2nd a center door Ford T, and the third a Chevy. Looks like a paddy wagon behind it. The touring tops look like they are in great shape!</div></div>

That first car does not look like a Dodge to me. What year Dodge were you thinking?

Guest Robin Coleman

Too bad WWII had to come along. The war sent a vast number of what are now almost priceless cars and other things to the scrap metal drives.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Robin Coleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Too bad WWII had to come along. The war sent a vast number of what are now almost priceless cars and other things to the scrap metal drives.</div></div>

Yes.....it's definitely a shame that all of those beautiful and rare cars were scrapped, but it does make the remaining few more desirable.

Guest Robin Coleman

keiser31; I have one for all of you, and many of you might want to hunt me down and lynch me, but when I was a kid (1950's) I used many an old car out in the country for target practice. Oh, well. What's that they say about youth being wasted on the young? My favorite memory is going for a ride in my best friend's father's 1926 Pontiac. I also was allowed to drive his '36 Cadillac and Crosby station wagon (I believe it was a '49 model). At least I have those memories. We have many firefighters on our department who can't drive our 1940 Mack engine because it has a manual trans.

Guest Robin Coleman

Grandpa; Even I would have never dared to put a scratch on a Doosey. Lordy, I can't believe someone actually sent it to a scrapyard!!! That's like shredding the Mona Lisa for packing material!

Guest Robin Coleman

Grandpa; Please tell me that someone at the scrapyard took this car home and that it was not scrapped. I will have nightmares about that!

Guest Robin Coleman

Grandpa;

That lady was certainly very eccentric, or perhaps even psychotic. Still in all, to read your post regarding this auto ripped my heart out!!! I just joined this forum today, but I am totally fascinated with the collective knowledge represented by all of the members here. Thank you very much for your replies.

Guest Robin Coleman

1937hd45;

I assume from your name you are an old time Harley freak as am I. Still in all, I can not help but state they did not scrap the statue of Liberty for the copper! It was her car though, and she had the right to do with it as she pleased. It still chaps my hind end though.

Hi Robin & 1937hd45,

I believe the WW2 scrap drives were more of a propaganda effort to get the population involved in the war effort. The USA had an ample supply of iron ore, aluminum ore, copper ore, etc. The amount of metal collected from the scrap dives represented only a small per-cent of the raw materials needed.

Grandpa

Guest Robin Coleman

My parents were born in 1912 and 1913, so I have a close connection to both the Depression era and WWII. The scrap drives were certainly a morale booster for the folks back then, for daddy often told me for the first two or 3 years of the war no one was certain we would win, and at times it appeared we were losing. Still, learning of that beautiful handcrafted piece of automobile scuplture being scrapped does not do much for my morale today!

Grandpa, and others, yes, the scrap drives were only propaganda to get the civilians involved in the war. The US did not need the metal which was donated... such a shame we lost all the cars we did...B

Guest Orphanauto

Ha, That's so wierd that the original "time machine" from the original movie actually was for sell just recently, it brings up the question, IF you could go back, but only 1 time, and bring back a new car, what would you go back and buy?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Orphanauto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ha, That's so wierd that the original "time machine" from the original movie actually was for sell just recently, it brings up the question, IF you could go back, but only 1 time, and bring back a new car, what would you go back and buy? </div></div>

You need to start a new topic on THAT one. I am ready to answer.