Making progress with 1937 McLaughlin Buick limousine...

Guest HPC

Dear AACA Members,

I first posted back in April looking for help and advice on the restoration of what I believed was a 1937 McLaughlin Buick Series 90 Limousine. The car in our possession originally belonged to Alberta premier, William Aberhart. The kindness, generosity, and guidance you have all shown me of over the past two months has been of great assistance, and has made this monstrous task seem much less overwhelming. I have even made some solid progress on the project. Please excuse my lack of knowledge and improper mechanical terminology as I explain…

I have officially confirmed that the car we have was in fact Aberhart’s vehicle. As the serial number appears to be long gone, this fact was proven by identifying certain unique customized elements that were listed by such sources as newspaper articles from the era. The Premier’s purchase of a personal limousine back in 1937 was highly controversial and made headlines across the province. These articles will undoubtedly continue to come in handy as our restoration progresses.

We have also discovered that the car is not a Series 90 limousine. We believe it is actually a Roadmaster Model F that had been converted to the chauffeured car with a glass partition. I understand this was the only Roadmaster model that was used as a limousine. I am hoping it will be easier to find Roadmaster parts than Series 90 parts.

I have located and purchased an original Straight 8 engine (fully intact with the transmission still attached). As far as we can tell, no one has ever worked on this engine and it appears to be in fantastic shape. We’re delighted with this find and can’t wait to get her up and running and purring away under the hood of the Roadmaster.

At this point, I still need the interior of the car (seats, dash, partition wall etc.), a frame, the rear suspension, trunk lid, hub caps, headlights – you name it, I probably need it…

If you know of anyone looking to sell a 1937 Roadmaster parts car, or anyone with parts I may be able to purchase, please let me know.

I am also looking for anyone that may be able to help me establish whether this car was a Canadian made McLaughlin Buick or a US Buick. I have yet to find any solid literature that distinguishes between the two.

Again, I appreciate any help and advice that you car experts can offer to a Canadian girl that’s taken on a monster of a job.

Sincerest thanks,

Erin

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Erin:

I think I can help you with some information. In 1937 Buick built both Roadmaster Model 81F's (452 of them) and Limited 91F's (156 of these). The easiest way to tell is to look at the body from a side view and look at the rear edge of the rear door. If that edge has a deep inset at the bottom (Bottom edge is about 12 inches shorter than the top edge) it's probably an 81F car. If the edge is virtually straight (inset of 2-3 inches) it's a Limited. You need to be very careful here as the difference in both body and frame length is about 12-14 inches. If you post a side view picture, I can tell for sure.

If you post the stamped engine number, I can tell you exactly what you've bought. Look at a small machined ledge very close to the distributor and you will find an 8 digit number. Post that and I'll give you a report.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest outlaw car man

Erin-

I'm working on a 33 series 90 right now. Looking for a ( one) missing jump seat, both seat "backs" too. They were lost for some reason.

Keep me in mind on your hunt, I will too. Doubt we will cross paths but never know ?

OCM

OCM,

I'll definitely keep you in mind as I pursue the infinite number of missing parts for our project. Thanks for looking out for me!

Erin

Guest imported_Thriller

It's great that you were able to verify some of the history of the car. It's good that this piece of Alberta history will be resurrected. I'm not sure who is in charge now after King Ralph's abdication of the throne, but wouldn't it be neat to chauffeur the current premier around in it someday?

Hadn't thought of that angle, Derek -- but I love it. I think the car has a lot of significance and potential... I can't wait to see how it all turns out.

I have the option to buy a 1937 Limited (almost all of the orginal car is there) for a great price. I know the length of the wheelbase differs substantially between the Limited and the Roadmaster. Am I correct in assuming that I would still be able to use many of the parts from the Limited on our Roadmaster? Obviously I would still have to find a Roadmaster frame to use.

Please let me know what you think. If I'm going to make a move for the Limited, I'll have to make it soon.

I would also appreciate any leads you may have for 1937 Roadmaster parts or parts cars.

Thanks again!!

Erin