PA - HB 1203 of 2009 - Year of Manufacture License Plates

Here is the link - http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/bill...e=B&BN=1203

The Bill is Pennsylvania House Bill 1203 of 2009 and would allow those of us in Pennsylvania with Classic, Antique or Collectible license plates to run year of manufacture license plates instead. This law would put Pennsylvana in line with many other states that allow the use of year of manufacture license plates such as our neighboringstate of Ohio.

It is also important that this newly introduced bill be passed so that period correct license plates could be proudly, appropriately and legally be displayed on our vintage vehicles. The current design of the Antique Plate does not look appropriate or correct on many vehicles and this new law would help with this. I urge every person from PA to contact their legislator and ask them to make sure that this bill becomes a reality.

Find your representative here - http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/home/find.cfm

Guest simplyconnected

I'm surprised PA is taking so long to enact this bill. Michigan has used Year of Manufacture plates for many years. If that isn't acceptable, you can use a personalized plate.

Our registration cost for a classic car is $30 and it covers TEN YEARS. Three bucks per year. It's about the ONLY thing cheap, here.

• 3 weeks later...

Ohio's YOM plates on a "historical" vehicle are $25 for 50 years!

No leisure driving is allowed, but there's always a car show or cruise-in somewhere!

I went to get Historic YOM plates for my 1968 Apollo Travel Trailer and they told me the plates were only good for show.

My response?

"That's right....I'm going to take it camping, park it and SHOW IT!"

Guest Siegfried

This is LONG overdue. Hope it passes.

The day before the G'burg show I finally hauled my lazy self into PennDOT, only 7 muiles away, and registered a 1984 as antique. On a previous visit I was told that I could transfer a purple plate is I could prove ownership of same. I could, the car it was purchased for will probably never be completed by me, and for $28.50 I transferred the purple plate to the 1984. I personally do not like the new antique plate. It was a mistake in my opinion. The purple plate stands out to anyone following and they are usually a bit more courteous towards your car. Year of manufacture plates will really stand out. Imagine the first time little Johnny and Susie see an early porcelian plate?

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I hope PA does something because the new style antique tags are ugly looking. They should have stayed with the old style purple and white for antique with the reversed for classic.

Legislation to allow year of manufacture plates in PA has been proposed many times over the years but has never gone anywhere. The latest attempt was a bill (HB 1203) proposed by Rep. Dan Moul on April 3, 2009. The bill really didn't go anywhere as it wasn't brought up for discussion until today, September 14, 2010. Last week Sen. John Rafferty came to my office for a town hall meeting. Sen. Rafferty is the chair of the PA Senate Transportation Committee. I pointed out to Sen. Rafferty that many other states have legislation to allow year of manufacture plates and that it is surprising and disappointing that PA does not have similar legislation considering it is one of the largest, if not the largest state for antique and classic car enthusiasts, as well as being home to the AACA and Hershey. I asked if he could give his colleagues in the House a gentle nudge on this bill. That was only a few days ago and today this bill was brought up for consideration and a slight amendment was made. It looks like this bill may finally be moving forward and has a chance of passing! It probably is coincidence but Sen. Rafferty has my vote for as long as he is in the Senate. Keep your fingers crossed but we may be able to display those vintage plates on our cars in PA in the near future!

Edited by jjohnb (see edit history)

John is correct, this bill has had some positive movement in the last few days. I looks promising, but we'll see ... This bill represents a tremendous opportunity for those of us in Pennsylvania to finally run year of manufacture license plates on our vehicles.

As for the inspection of Antique vehicles ... there are not currently any bills proposed that would require this. To the contrary, there is a bill that would EXEMPT cars registered as "classic" from the annual inspection requirement. The current Bill is HB1172 of 2009 - http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/billinfo/billinfo.cfm?syear=2009&sind=0&body=H&type=B&bn=1172

Edited by elcamino72 (see edit history)

I would be willing to bet that somehow this YOM bill will end up costing us more money. PA is strapped for $ and is unlikely to let this opportunity to institute new "fees" slip away. It's the amendments you have to look out for. Anyone want to buy a 1908 PA plate before the price skyrockets?

• 1 year later...
Guest Siegfried
I would be willing to bet that somehow this YOM bill will end up costing us more money. PA is strapped for $ and is unlikely to let this opportunity to institute new "fees" slip away. It's the amendments you have to look out for. Anyone want to buy a 1908 PA plate before the price skyrockets?

I hope this is not what happens. Being a life-long Pa. product I agree, Pa. Gov't. is 'GREEDY'. Look at where our money is going. Pa. Gov't is as cumbersome as our national gov't. :D

Guest Rep John Lawrence

Good Afternoon All -

</O:p

This is John Lawrence, and I am the prime sponsor of this legislation in the PA General Assembly. Just to clear up the confusion, the bill has passed through the PA House Transportation Committee and the full PA House. Today, it passed through the PA Senate Transportation Committee, and it is now up to the full Senate to take up the bill. I will continue working on moving this legislation through, and while I cannot make any promises, I am optimistic that we are going to get this across the finish line in time for next year's Hershey Fall Meet. By way of background, I am a proud AACA member and own an AMC Pacer. My parents are members of the Hershey Region, and I remember working the souvenir tent at the fall meet when I was in high school. We had a lot of fun back in the day going on the various runs, Knoebels Park, etc. I appreciate everyone's support in the antique auto community to get this done. Please do not hesitate to contact me if there are any questions.

Sincerely

John Lawrence

PA State Representative, District 13

610 869 1602 Jennersville Office

717 260 6117 Harrisburg Office

<O:p

I'll second the salute to Rep. John Lawrence. All the legislators I contacted seemed agreeable to this bill, though I'm sure a lot of them find it a bit puzzling why people would want old license plates on their cars. Hopefully, John can help explain it!

Phil

Phil

Guest Siegfried

My thanks also. The '55 Pa. plate that Herb Oakes restored for me will sure look nice on back of my '55 Bug. Now all I have to do is finish up the car.