'90 Convertible antenna noise

Guest xerxes

Guest xerxes

I have a 1990 Beechwood convertible that I've just started driving a fair amount. When the top is down, I have noticed that if I drive with the radio off so the antenna is down that the wind noise is significantly less than with the antenna up. This is true even at lower speeds around town. Of course, with my "rock music curve" hearing loss, it's amazing that I can hear anything at all!

Anyone else notice this? Any options?

• 5 years later...

I've been thinking about using a "HIDDEN" antenna . Has anyone done it? I hooked the antenna {in the photo} to my Reatta convertible radio------FM reception is better. The whole power antenna concept is sorta stupid to me------just more relays, wire, motor, etc to cause more problems. With the top down and the antenna up------it causes the wind to howl. When the thing is post-59602-143142702787_thumb.jpgdown it looks like a chrome pimple.

Rules,

Jeez, now you have me wanting to eliminate the power antenna on my 'vert since I will be doing a repaint. Not sure I want to take on the extra body work though. I will say, as particular and easily irritated as I am by small details, the wind noise from the antenna doesn't bother me somehow.

I do agree the power antenna concept is a hassle due to it's needless complexity, but was kind of neat back when it was an unusual luxury car item.

KDirk

Guest my3buicks

I was thinking the same thing, I am easily irritated by rattles and noises and the wind noise from the antenna doesn't bother me. I guess I am one that likes the experience of how the car built and was supposed to be rather than what I can do to change how it was originally designed. There was nothing unusual about a power antenna, it was common place on luxury and upper end cars and non even uncommon for lower models to have the option for a long time before the Reatta came along. I do like the rear mount location on the Reatta, something Buick seemed to bulk against over the years for some reason.

M 55: THANK YOU! KDirk: I mounted LED strips inside my rear view mirrors; then wired stop/turn. It passed inspection with NO PROBLEMS. Keith: If I were at all worried about resale-----I for sure NOT be playing with Buicks! Let alone Reattas. I have $1,750.00 and a lot of PLAY time in this "hailed on" Reatta. Anyway, I'm too old to think about resale or rusted Reattas.post-59602-143142712629_thumb.jpg

3 Buicks: My 45 year old airplane has no mods because the FAA says I must not change anything----I fly most every nice day!!!! It's factory original. I maintain it myself. It is my passion. As Barnie says, "There is NO Reatta Police"--- but if there were???? Well maybe? Mc_Reatta: I have no photos. Please don't do the BC thing and say, "Pic or it didn't happen." I'll try after dark. The mirrors had the shakes. I took them apart to weld in new motor mounts and JB glued some Walmart light strips behind the glass. I'm not too proud of my workmanship on this job. Its a good Idea but not well done. And it Passed inspection!post-59602-143142713214_thumb.jpg

Guest Mc_Reatta

So they shine thru the mirror or just around the edges? Newer cars have spots when the silvering is not present that the leds in the housing shine thru for the turn signals. Never seen that location for stoplights, but would work.

What color leds did you use, red?

Guest my3buicks

On a forum you need to expect opinions pro and con, if you don't like opinions, don't post, or if you do post take the opinions from all, you don't have to agree with the opinions. The 3rd brake light mode would never pass Pennsylvania state inspection btw.

...... an old magazine from 1987...

Home Power magazine has been published since 1987.

This cover shot is from the current OCT.- NOV. 2014 issue as the date above the barcode in the lower right hand corner indicates.

I can see how the attire of the folks in the shot might lead one to believe that the photo was taken decades ago.

What is more interesting though, is what can be seen in the background of each photo.

John F.