WTB-Maroon horn buttons

tbenvie

Tom, if you have the parts, you can fix them with fishing line. See photo and sketch. GM used the fishing line until they could change the mold.

The line keeps the button from coming out. If the button guides are badly damaged this may not work.

post-30596-143138071988_thumb.jpg

post-30596-143138071989_thumb.jpg

Guest Richard D

Does the entire switch just pull out after the button falls out? Do I grab it with a pair of needle nose pliers and pull straight out?

Thank's

Richard

Horn buttons...... to replace the horn button, you must remove the airbag assembly from the steering wheel. There are 2 Torx head screws on the back side of the wheel that hold the bag to the wheel.

Once out, unhook the horn and airbag connector. You will see 2 screw holding each horn button to the air bag.

You cannot repair/replace the horn buttons from the front.

If they will no longer stay in the wheel, the retaining legs have either broken or are deformed. The early horn buttons had 2 legs and are like straight fish hooks. when pushed in the barb on the end keeps them in place.

GM's repair solution was the fishing line. The fishing line limited the outward movement so they would not pop out of the wheel.

GM later changed the mold and added 2 more legs. If you get a late horn button, you cannot install the button in the holder because there is no provisions for the extra legs.

Bottom line....you must remove the horn button assembly from the wheel to properly fix/replace.

Guest Richard D

Thank's Barney, After unhooking the negative battery terminal how long should I wait for the SRS back-up power to discharge, 10-15 minutes? Then I get to reset all the stations and time ....AGAIN.

Richard

Guest cool wheels

Acting in the fog of ignorance, I installed a new horn button by pressing it in from the top. Works fine.

Guest daveagain909

cool wheels? how did you do that, details would be appreciated? many of us have problems with horn buttons?

Maybe the picture below will help.

The tan button on the right is the OLD first design, the white rod points to the barbed tab that breaks and the button will pop out.

The grey button on the right is the final design, the white rod points to one of the two extra retainers that were added to hold the button in place.

Because of the extra tabs on the new design, a new button will not work in the old design housing.

Cool Wheels above probably installed a good old design button into an old housing, you cannot install a complete horn button from the front of the air bag.

The GM books have a lot of warning about unhooking the battery, letting the car sit for 30+ minutes, etc, etc when working on the airbag. I believe much if this is CYA verbage. If they were that sensitive, you should be afraid to sit behind the wheel. I have removed lots of air bags and I just treat them gently, and keep my important parts out of the way. So far, nothing has been blown off.

post-30596-143138072789_thumb.jpg

Guest cool wheels

Actually, what I did was to superglue the broken prong back onto the old button and then I pushed the button right back into the slot it came out of. Just pushed it firmly down. This was a year or so ago. Have had no problems since.