Snapping noise from front end when turning steering whel

Guest sanders

Guest sanders

On my 1990 Reatta coupe with 105 K ,during the past year my garage has been trying to solve this nagging snapping sound I am getting when turning the steering wheel at certain times . They have changed the struts and top plates , sway bar bushings ,links and ends , ball joints , motor mounts , body cradle bushings and front brakes . Each of these items probably needed to be replaced , as they were worn or worn out . However each time the results have been the same , when I drive foreword and turn out of my driveway or back out of a parking place and turn the steering wheel to align into my traffic lane I get the same old snapping noise fron the front end . It happens when I turn eather left or right , never when driving straight. Now heres the kicker , it does not always happen when turning a 90 degree corner . The mechanics are baffled anmd would appreciate any advice from this forum I can bring to them . This garage has a great reputation here in Sebastian Florida and have treated me very good on all our cars for 12 years . They do not think there is a safety factor with it , but I can't be sure . If anyone has ever had this problem or any thoughts on what I can ask them to look for it will be greatly appreciated . It has been my dream for 20 years to have this car and I feel with all I have had done to it in addition to the above front end work I now have a car that will last for many more years . Thank you for any advice.

Yes I have spent more on these and numerous other repsirs than I paid origionally for the car but you can't put a price on a mans dream , Jim Sanders

Happens only when turning hard ? Could it be more of a "click" than a "snap" ? Did they check the CV joints ?

Let me know if you get to Orlando and we'll take a look.

Guest sanders

Padgett , Thanks for the reply , I will ask them at the garage if they checked the Joints , I should think so but who knows , Jim Sanders

Guest sanders

Actually it can happen on an easy not even 90 degree turn , I will talk to the garage tomorrow about the C. V. Joints

Guest sanders

Ronnie ,I did the Walmart parking lot this morning and yes I do get the snapping noise when doing the circles as you suggested . It sounds like something is slipping to a lower or higher level when I cramp the wheels , and is more prevelent when turning right than left. It only happens at the beginning of a circle when I cramp the steering wheel and then again when I cramp the other direction but not every time . I am working today and will talk to the mechanic on Wednesday and get back to the Forum probably Friday on my Day off .

Guest jcc3inc

Good morning,

Just to add a bit here, sometimes two can more easily diagnose the problem; get one of your friends/wife to stand outside near the car as you do these maneuvers. They can locate left-right origin of the sounds and may be able to pinpoint it further. In my younger days, I hung onto the front of a Ford pickup as we went down the highway in order to loacte a "whistle" coming from the grille area; we found it!

Regards,

Jack C.

Guest sanders

Ronnie ,

I finally got time to go back to the garage on the snapping or popping sound when turning the steering wheel that happens mostly as I back up and turn the wheels from a parking place or my driveway . They pretty much told me they did not want to take any more of my money experiminting so I am looking into another garage on Monday that I have heard some good things about so hopfully I can find out if it has to do with the CV Joints or bearings . I think the first garage just got tired of suggesting things it could be only to find out they were wrong . I appreciate their honesty and told them I was willing to give them another chance but they declined , its nice to know someone who recognizes their limitations and admits it . I have a whole bunch of new parts on the car and it really runs good and looks good for a 1990 , for that I thank them .

Guest sanders

Mike ,

I will have them check that brake Re action rod you suggested also , Thanks for the suggestion

Guest sanders

Mike ,

I will have them check that brake Re action rod you suggested also , Thanks for the suggestion

A good mechanic should be able to find the problem easily. If it only pops once when changing directions it could be the brake reaction rod as Mike suggests.

If you have it in a parking lot and it continuously pops, with the wheel turned sharply while going in the same direction, it is likely the CV joint that is popping.

Guest sanders

Ronnie ,

It only happens at the beginning of a turn never continuous . The origional garage changed so many things , Sway Bar ends , bushings , tie rod ends , Struts and upper strut plates , cradle mounts , motor mounts and more I probably forgot . All this to no avail , and each time they thought they had the answer . I am not so concerned about what I have spent only that I still have the annoying condition on an otherwise great running car .I am sure most of what they did would have been necessary sometime anyway . I do not plan on giving up , the car is too nice !! So I will have the brake reaction rod checked first if the mechanic can find it and knows what it is !

If something is shifting that shouldn't, it is probably shiny. That said it is very hard to diagnose without hearing it. What city are you near, maybe someone knowlegable is close ?

Guest sanders

Padgett ,

I am in Sebastian Forida at 388 Main St. phone 772 388 8817 . I know you are around Orlando but I am just a " Country Boy " and can't find my way out of a Paper Bag !!!

Guest sanders

Padgett ,

Thanks for the offer , I will keep in touch as to what happens or does not happen at the new garage , Jim Sanders

Guest sanders

Crazytrain2 , I am having them checked Monday or Wednesday whenever I can get an appointment at a new garage and will get back to the forum with what I find out , Thanks

Guest sanders

To Mike S. and Ronnie ,

I asked at 2 garages today about having the "Brake Reaction Rod " checked and they just looked at me ? Is there another name for it or is ir part of a Teves Brake System only . They both did know where the C V Joints were however and I have an appointment for 8:30 Wednesday A. M.I will post that evening as to the findings . Thank you

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I asked at 2 garages today about having the "Brake Reaction Rod " checked and they just looked at me ?</div></div>A picture is worth a thousand words. Show it to your mechanic.

post-52331-143138073609_thumb.jpg

Guest sanders

Mike and Ronnie ,

Thank you both , you guys are great !1 I printed off the picture Ronnie sent and will show it to the mechanic Wednesday A. M. and have him check The Brake Reaction Rod along with the C V Joints and get back to the forum later in the day with some results , Maybe ! Jim Sanders

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sanders

So glad the forum is up and running again . Well , to all of those who helped me try to get the snapping noise from the front end when turning the steering wheel diagnosed I thank you . I had everything mentioned checked and rechecked and it turned out to be the passinger side front wheel bearing ! Never any noise going straight only when turning the steering wheel when backing up or cornering going foreword . The advice from the forum is invaluable !!! I now have for sure one of the finest 1990 Reattas on the road !!!

Guest sanders

So glad the forum is up and running again . Well , to all of those who helped me try to get the snapping noise from the front end when turning the steering wheel diagnosed I thank you . I had everything mentioned checked and rechecked and it turned out to be the passinger side front wheel bearing ! Never any noise going straight only when turning the steering wheel when backing up or cornering going foreword . The advice from the forum is invaluable !!! I now have for sure one of the finest 1990 Reattas on the road !!!