1917 Maxwell

Barry D

I have a 1917 Maxwell Turing i might restore. Im looking for a parts book and maby some body parts,front seat back and base.Allso anything that shows the sill plate the body sits on.Havent found much on internet.This looks like it used a mag as no place for a distributor. Saw somone looking for a pan and may have one to trade. Going to rebuild the motor and has to be bored. Are there piston to be had ,Egge has them for 1925 but no lower,maby there the same.

Barr

Barr, Your car should have an Atwater-Kent distributor That bolts on the same mounts as the magneto. If you wait several weeks I'll be back home in Georgia and I can send pictures off my home computer. I also have a spare distributor that I just picked up. Check on the Maxwell Messenger website as I gave them a copy of the 1916 Maxwell Parts book that you can download from there. Except for a few parts 1916 and 1917 are the same.

Howard Dennis

Byron,Georgia

Barr, I was about half asleep when I answered your post. Actually we need your serial numbers to determine what is the correct ignition system. There is an early 1917 dash and magneto and a late 1917 dash and distributor. I have both examples.

Howard Dennis

1917 Maxwell ? This car dosent match any 17 pictures i find.Would early and late be differnt.Its 6 volts,has 30x3 1/2 clincher.Engine serial no is B6276,casting date is 8-2-17 P3. Anyone have a junk radiator with a good outlet i can get. This is registration came with car.Ill show Dash if that will help. Barr

post-60417-143138068576_thumb.jpg

post-60417-14313806858_thumb.jpg

post-60417-143138068584_thumb.jpg

Barr, As I'm at my daughter's in Virginia and don't have access to my home computer I can't tell you much till I get back to Georgia in several weeks. I can tell you the picture of your frame shows either a 1918 or 1919 car as the rear springs are different and I don't remember what year the change was made.

Howard Dennis

There is no vin plate as there is no seat. But from all the pictures ive found its a 18. Have a good 18 engine to use and rear end is good so ill get started on it.One problum,how to get trans off engine other then undoing the 3 clutch springs Thanks for help Barr

• 6 months later...