power antenna on '84 Riv

Guest Riv63

Guest Riv63

I have a problem with the power antenna on my '84. Turn the radio off and the antenna will not retract but the motor keeps running. I bought another antenna--an AC Delco NOS part, checking numbers shows it is for an "82. With this antenna I have the same problem. Is there a relay or other switch apart from the antenna that is at fault? Thanks for any info.

Tom

Guest pfloro

Hello Tom:

As unbelievable as this may be, that NOS power antenna must be defective. The antenna relay (behind right side of instrument panel near the courtesy light) simply supplies power to the antenna motor windings with one polarity or the reverse.

The antenna itself has 'limit switches' which turn off the motor once the mast has reached the full up or down position. If the nylon cable is broken or disconnected, the motor will continuously run as no 'end of travel' load exists to move the motor armature which triggers the limit switches.

I've rebuilt the power antenna on my '84 Toronado more than once & now understand how they work.

Here is a way to test your new antenna & electrically isolate it from all other components:

1) Disconnect electrical connector from antenna.

2) Apply '+' power to the WHITE wire connection & ground the GREEN wire connection. This is the DOWN wiring. A functioning antenna will retract & the motor will shut off.

3) Apply '+' power to the GREEN wire connection & ground the GRAY wire connection. This is the UP wiring. A functioning antenna will extend & the motor will shut off.

I suspect that your NOS antenna motor will run in the DOWN position & not run in the UP position.

The image below is from my '84 Olds Electrical Troubleshooting Manual. I don't think the electrical side of the power antenna changed from '79 - '85 in the 'E' series cars.

Keep us posted.

Paul

Guest Riv63

Thanks, Paul. I will do the tests. If the NOS unit is defective, do you know of any universal antennas that will work? Thanks.

Tom

Go online to car-part.com. They're usually about $50 for a used one. Have them test it before buying. I think you can replace your 84 w/ one from 79-85 Riv and/or Cadillac.

• 11 months later...

I need to replace the fixed mast antenna with the aftermarket power antenna. This one already has the relay built into the antenna so I just need a constant hot and switched hot. I was thinking of taking the factory antenna relay off, jumpering the constant hot and switched hot -- just using the factory wiring. My manual says that the relay is under the glove box but the pins all come together on mine at the Convience center, which is on the drivers side, and there is a large silver relay looking plugged in. Does anyone know if the 85 Riv antenna relays are actually plugged into the convience center or actually on the passenger side under the glove box? I believe the larger of the 3 relays seen is the power antenna relay for 85 Riv. ?

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://inlinethumb06.webshots.com/45637/2249112440016106545S600x600Q85.jpg' alt='2249112440016106545S600x600Q85.jpg'>

I just got off the phone with the local, @%#& Buick parts department. Replacement mast are no longer available. They can order me a new unit for either $180 part# 22048583 or $324 part# 88891017 depending on what part number mine is? I remembered ordering a replacement mast only back in 2005 for around $19. Something so simple and universal! (GM wonders why they are knee deep in doo doo) I think I got it from Kirban but by calling Kirban's and Casper's they claim they can't get them now. The guy on the phone said he might have one at home for $100.00...? Kirban's does offer a reproduction replica unit for $169. My experience in the past with replacing just the mast ended up with the nylon mast breaking years later even after limited use and never being used in harsh conditions (rain/dust/ice). I believe the problem is that when the car is turned on the antenna starts to go up, when the key is turned to the start position power to the antenna is cut off in the middle of an up cycle, while also offering a lower voltage to the motor retracting from most of the power being used to start the car, then once it's started it's back to going up again. This is was explained to me by an electronics person years ago as being very hard on these. The one car I have with an aftermarket one doesn't seems to even start to go up until after the car is started. I guess the circuitry is different? But for this one I'm working on now there isn't even the factory unit left to use.

Guest northmn

Go to "ELLIOTTSRADIO" on the web. He has NOS antenna parts & lots of other odd stuff like speedo cables ,radios, speaker amplifiers, speakers etc. lots used & NOS . -Enjoy-

Bob.