Driving our 1931 Cord L29 from Auburn, IN to CA and back

speed

Mike and I are driving our L29 Cord from our home in Michigan to CA via Auburn IN. This is the 80th anniversary of the introduction of the L29, and this year is the year of the L29 at the ACD Festival and reunion in Auburn IN. When these cars were first produced they wanted to show their road worthiness and drove 5 cars to California and back. We are trying to recreate that trip. I have been posting daily to the acdclub.org website and there are pictures included with the postings. My husband suggested I post to your forum too.

I will post daily in the future, but here is the trip so far.

Day 1- Thursday, April 09, 2009

We left home this morning at 8 AM, stopped about 2.5 miles away at the local gas station and filled up, and continued down the road about 15 miles. The sun was glaring in my eyes so I started looking for my sunglasses in my purse…no purse. So we made our first U turn to go back home and get my purse.

We are traveling country roads and staying off the big Interstates. It was a bright sunny day, however cold. We drove with the top up to Auburn. It was a beautiful drive with several ponds and tree lined vistas along the way.

We arrived at our first gas stop and Mike noticed the banner for the back of our car had ripped a tie loose. After searching for our sewing kit that is always in the car, Mike decided he must have taken it out. I called Karen & Ray Parker, who bought some needles and thread with them when they met us for lunch.

As we drove through Auburn on the way to lunch, we saw Greg Frownfelter. He turned around and followed us to the Town Tavern. We talked to him for a few minutes and then had lunch with Karen & Ray. After lunch, we drove back to the museum and were greeted by a reporter from the Evening Star, Beth from the ACD Festival, and Troy and Carrie Ackerman and their son. Before we left, we went into the museum and said Good-bye to Joey Aiken, Jon Bill and Laura Brinkman.

We put the top down and continued southwest to Kokomo for the night. We arrived around 5 PM, cold and tired. We are staying at the Comfort Inn – Free. (hotel card)

GAS TALLY Total /

gallons price / G total day where

4/9/2009 5.9 2.059 $ 12.16 home

11.24 2.059 $ 23.14 Mottville

6 2.069 $ 12.42 Auburn

9.747 2.069 $ 20.17 Kokomo

$ 67.89

Food Tally

4/9/2009 Lunch/4 Town Tavern $ 25.00

supper Steak & Shake $ 13.78

Culvers $ 4.90

$ 43.68

Friday, April 10 – Spent night at Howard Hospital in Kokomo, IN. I had my appendix and Gall Bladder removed around 1 PM. Car show in the parking lot!!

Saturday, April 11 – Hospital – Mike drained the water in the Cord to prevent freezing.

4/11/2009 oil 2 qt. Meijer $ 8.32 $8.32 Kokomo, IN

4/10/2009 supper Golden Corral $ 10.05 10.05

4/11/2009 lunch McDonalds $ 2.14 2.14

Sunday, April 12 - Hospital

Monday, April 13 - Released from the hospital around noon today. My surgeon said I was OK to travel. It is a cold, gloomy, rainy day. We decided to drive and try to get away from the rain and cold. Rather than going our original planned route we decided to set our Garmin for the fastest, off highway, off toll road route and let her lead the way. We aren’t that far off the route I had originally planned, and are hoping to make to Oklahoma City in time for the meet. We may be a little late but I guess we will see how it goes.

Once we got to Frankfort, Indiana, the rain let up a little, but it was still a grey, cloudy day although it has warmed up a little. We had to drive with my window cracked open so the windshield wouldn’t fog over. Also we had to put up with water dripping from the windshield wipers. Once we got to Illinois, (we crossed over on hwy 28, near Alvin, IL.) there were some pear trees in blossom and bushes with leaves on them. We angled around Champaign, IL. and drove the remainder of the day on US57 ending the day in Effingham, Il. There is a lot of difference between riding on the major interstate highways and the smaller roads, a lot less cars, and road noise. Also you need to get gas and bathroom breaks when they are available. It seems that we are a car show everywhere we go. I’m ready for a pain pill!!!

4/13/2009 3.764 1.979 $ 7.45 Meijers/Kokomo

$ 14.47 Wingate, IL

5.781 2.099 $ 12.13 Pesotum, IL

6.635 2.099 $ 13.93 Effingham, IL

$ 47.98

4/13/2009 soda Gas station $ 3.18

lunch McDonalds $ 3.50

supper Cracker Barrel $ 20.58

$ 27.26

Kokomo Comfort Inn 70.55 perscriptions - Meijers $54.80

Kokomo Comfort Inn 72.16

Kokomo Comfort Inn 72.16

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 – day 6

We stayed at Days Inn in Effingham, IL. last night. The cost was $69.92.

I was very sore after traveling, so I made sure I took my pain pills every 4 hours.

This morning, we had breakfast at the hotel and were on the road by around 9 AM.

Since it is still very grey and overcast, we decided to just set the Garmin to take the Interstate. The ride is much smoother for me, and we make better time on the big highways; granted the scenery is all the same but we are trying to get to the Oklahoma City meet on time. (For any that would like to know how Mike modified the Garmin setup to work in his car, you will have to ask Mike.)

We got through St. Louis by noon. Sure was nice to have the Garmin tell Mike how to navigate the complicated maze of highways. We would have liked to stop at the Quick’s but Mike just felt like we should travel as far as we could today. I napped a lot of the way. It was overcast most of the drive today, however we got some sunshine by late afternoon. It is starting to look much more like Spring around here; the Mountain Laurel is in blossom and I saw some tulips and daffodils in bloom.

We ate lunch outside of St. Louis, MO and dinner tonight was at Lambert’s Café near Springfield, MO. We are staying at a Day’s Inn tonight near Springfield, MO. Mike is out washing the Cord…can you believe it got dirty with all the rain.

Today’s expenses were:

GAS TALLY gallons price / G total

4/14/2009 4.143 1.929 $ 7.99 St. Robert, MO

5.859 1.959 $ 11.48 Sullivan, MO

8.139 1.939 $ 15.78 ValleyPark, Mo

8.819 1.819 $ 16.04 Springfield, MO

$ 51.29

Food Tally

4/14/2009 water Flying J $ 1.09

lunch McDonalds $ 3.60

ice cream bar Road Ranger $ 1.83

supper Lambert's Café $ 23.00

$ 29.52

4/13/2009 Effingham Days Inn $69.92

4/14/2009 Springfield Days Inn $68.81

Day 8, Thursday, April 16, 2009

We left our hotel this morning at 9 AM and arrived at the hotel around 11:30 AM. We took the turnpike in to Oklahoma City, paid $2.25 in tolls. We stopped at McDonalds for breakfast, which was late enough that neither of us were hungry for lunch. Mike checked us in early, and I put a load in the washing machine, checked my emails and took a nap and while he changed the oil in the car.

We left for the host hotel, Colcord around 2:30 PM and hung around there until about 6 PM when we left for the racetrack and supper. We left the racetrack at around 10:30 PM and went back to our hotel.

Gas tally

5.752g 1.839 $10.58

Food tally

McDonalds $ 3.06

M & Ms $ 3.34

Supper $40.00

$ 46.40

Day 9, April 17, 2009 – Friday

We had breakfast at our hotel then drove to the host hotel – Colcord.

First stop on our tour today was a great car collection. Pictures will be posted. After the car collection we drove down Route 66, had a late lunch, then went to visit the Oklahoma bombing site memorial. Tonight, we had supper at Toby Keith’s, I love this Bar & Grill. I ate too much again.

Gas tally

10.852 g $1.839 $19.96

Day 10, April 19, 2009 – Saturday

We had breakfast at our hotel then drove to the host hotel – Colcord.

First stop on our tour today was another great car collection – lots of beautiful Brass

cars. Pictures will be posted.

Stan Gilliland of Wellington, KS drove behind Mike on the way there and told him his rear passenger wheel was wobbling as he drove down the road. Mike looked it over

and decided to switch it with one of the spares. Upon removal, he found that another of his spokes were broken. He has had problems with that wheel a couple of times before.

After the car collection, we had lunch at the cowboy museum and had a tour. When Mike came up to pick me up by the entrance, one of the cowboys came up and talked to Mike about his car, inquiring if that was the kind of car that Tom Mix was killed in. “Aren’t they supposed to have exhaust pipes coming out of the engine?” He said, “no, that the later models” and pointed out the other Cords. Mike found out later he was one of the stars of Gunsmoke.

Around 2:30 PM, we left as a group and drove to a couple of the Route 66 places of interest…Pops and the Round Barn of Arcadia, Oklahoma. Both are worth seeing. We were driving through some of the scenic winding roads when Gary Howe had a tire go flat. The army of ACD rescuers all stopped to help. There is some evidence that a smashed rabbit gave him the bad luck! For a moment there was a scare when Gary didn’t think he had keys to his spare tire locks, but he found them and was back on the road in no time. The incident will make this memorable for all!

We had a closing dinner tonight at the Cattlemen’s Steakhouse. There were 70 people at the meet and 18 cars. The Waken’s hosted a great meet and had parting gifts (Route 66 mug) for everyone. We look forward to seeing you all at Auburn in the fall, if not before.

Day 11- Sunday, April 19, 2009

We got a later start this morning. 10 AM. I repacked my stuff while Mike cleaned his car. It was a cool and cloudy morning. It looked like rain so we drove with the top up.

We drove west on Reno through Oklahoma City, then connected with OK152 and continued west toward Texas. About 20 miles from the state line we got on Route 66 and tried to stay on that where we could. We have some nice pictures of the scenery along the route.

Lunch today was at a gas station/deli. We were in a remote area at the time but it was a pleasant surprise. Mike and I both had a sandwich. There was a section of very pretty, hilly countryside along OK152. Route 66 through Texas is somewhat difficult to discern. It goes a ways on one side of highway 40 then suddenly there is an exit or a crossover and it is easy to find yourself on highway 40 by mistake.

We ended the day in Amarillo, TX and had supper at Dyer’s Barbeque, prize winning ribs.

4/19/2009 6.983 1.839 $ 12.84 Oklahoma City

3.288 1.999 $ 6.57 Binger, OK

8.302 1.989 $ 16.51 Sayre, OK

4.278 1.999 $ 8.55 Panhandle, TX

3.924 2.239 $ 8.79 Alanreed, TX

$ 53.26

lunch sandwiches $ 5.61 Binger, OK

coke $ 1.40 Sayre, Ok

supper Dyer's Barbeque $ 30.62 Amarillo, TX

Day 12, Monday, April 20, 2009

We left this morning from Amarillo, TX. It was a bright sunny day, great day for driving with the top down. We continued on business I40 through town, and made a U turn after we spotted Cadillac Mountains. We backtracked to them on Route 66 and took a few pictures. There were 3 guys on Harleys there and we talked to them and found they were from Italy; they had rented bikes in Chicago and were doing the Route 66 trip to California, then turning in their rented bikes and flying back home. We ran into them again later when we were all getting gas in our vehicles.

It was a pretty drive today even though we did not take a lot of pictures. Mike even passed a car that was going slower than us. Route 66 was fairly consistent through the remainder of TX, however once we got to New Mexico, it is a different story. We would be traveling along, and all of the sudden found we were at a dead end or the road suddenly turned to gravel, and there were no signs warning of a dead end. Finally, we just decided to stay on I40. The traffic was light. The road was smooth. It felt like you could see forever, miles and miles, and miles. We passed the official midway point of Route 66, and made a lunch stop in Tucumcari, NM. There was a guy at our lunch stop that asked Mike if that was a kit car…the hood was up at the time. Some people just haven’t a clue!! After lunch, we thought we would again try Route 66 but about 3 miles down the road, dead end. We retraced our route and decided that was the end, we were staying on the highway, at least until it looks more consistent.

We stopped for an ice cream break in a store that had virtually everything…even a full sized stuffed buffalo for sale. The clerk there was on parole, and told Mike his life story.

We got outside again, and the maintenance man related his life story as well. So our ten minute break turned into 45. Oh well, no rush!

We ended the day in Albuquerque, NM hitting it right at the 5 PM rush hour. We had supper at a nice little restaurant within walking distance of our Comfort Inn. While cleaning his car tonight, Mike discovered that they have a lot slower bugs out west; he had to clean a bunch of them off the front of his car…Once again proving that L29s are faster than the slow western bugs.

Day 13, Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Very sunny day today, we drove with the top down, staying mainly on Interstate 40. We are staying mainly on the Interstate through here because the grades seem to be less steep on them. In a distance you could see the snow capped mountains. We crossed through the Petrified Forest and the Painted Desert today. Both are interesting and beautiful. Thankfully, we have visited them both a couple of years ago so we were able to

drive by. The weather is very comfortable but I wouldn’t want to be traveling in an old car if the weather got much warmer.

I got hooked at one of the souvenir shops. I bought some of the jewelry. Nothing too pricey, but it is something that can squeeze into my bags.

It was interesting to see the trains today. They are much longer than at home. The first one we saw had 4 engines and 2 pushers. Later we saw one with a dozen engines up front. I have been warned that we will probably hear them rumble past tonight. In fact I hear one right now.

The grade into Flagstaff started about 45 miles outside of town. We didn’t even know we were climbing, until Mike, who constantly watches the temperature gauge, noticed the temperature which is usually around 170 was up around 180. He backed off the speed 5 to 10 MPH and then the temperature dropped back down. We are now at about 7000 feet above sea level.

Tomorrow we go south to Prescott, AZ and visit with Dick & Marylynn Teeter.

Gas expense

4/21/2009 6.2 2.45 $ 15.20 Petrified, AZ

6.571 2.109 $ 13.86 Milan, NM

4.774 2.069 $ 9.88 Gallup, NM

Food expenses

gas station $ 3.65 Petrified, AZ

Wendy's $ 8.17 Gallup, NM

Taco Los Altos $ 15.45 Flagstaff, AZ

other

Comfort Inn Albuquerque,NM 67.67

jewelry - souvenirs $ 66.60 Milan, NM

Could we please see some photos of that car? I LOVE L-29 Cords and I would have to say if I had one choice of any car on the planet, it would be an L-29 coupe. Loooong hood, short deck, classic (dare I use that word) beauty.

Day 14, Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Sorry, short post today. We drove 89A to Prescott, to see Dick and Marylynn Teeter. To say the drive was beautiful doesn’t come close to describing it. WOW! Breath taking views. The views came with a couple of steep hills and hairpin turns, but well worth the trip. We stopped in Jerome to rest the car, but all went well. We arrived in Prescott around 2PM. Checked into our hotel and called the Teeters. They picked us up and we spent the remainder of the day with them. Thanks for a great time!

Day 14, Thursday, April 23, 2009

Today, we drove from Prescott, AZ to Needles, CA. The ride out of Prescott on 89, north to Ash Fork was nice, but not near as breath taking as the route we took south (89A) to Prescott. We decided to drive the historic route 66 wherever we could today.

Lunch today was at Seligman, AZ at a noted “66 diner” . There were lots of motorcycles out front, and ambiance all over, “outhouses” , “Cars” characters”, a garden, and signage covering every square inch of the building. Several gift shops lined the street. There was a fellow there, who told us he was famous, he painted the pin stripping on Harrah’s cars. We had lots of inquiries about our car.

After lunch we continue on Route 66 to Kingman, Oatman, Golden Shores, and Needles. It got progressively warmer as the day wore on. The car ran nice and cool, unlike the occupants who just roosted. The scenery was terrific, especially the route between Kingman and Needles. Motorcycles were everywhere. This is the beginning of bike week. What a great way to travel the trail like roads and hairpin curves. When we got to Oatman, the donkeys or mules were everywhere and the town was lined up thick with bikers and their bikes. What a site to behold!

We took lots of pictures of our travels today. Our hotel room tonight was $128 – their last available room was a suite. The waitress at our restaurant tonight told us the temperature got up to 97 degrees today…down from yesterday’s 100+. Mike thought he would be bored during the trip between our stops for the night and bed time. No such luck! By the time he checks his car over and I make my posts, there’s no time to watch TV or the like.

Our Garmin has been great…It tells us where the gas stations, restaurants, and hotels are, as well as, directions for the day. It’s wonderful when you come to a strange town and don’t know your way around. Sometimes we just keep her on maps so we can see the road names as they come up. Other times we just punch in the address and away we go.

Mike won’t need to buy any more gas on our trip! The gauge is stuck at half full. It’s not something he is going to fix on this trip, but he will work on the sending unit when we return. Nearly halfway today…crossed the California line!

4/22/2009

4/23/2009 8.243 1.969 $ 16.23 Prescott, AZ

7.071 2.399 $ 16.96 Siligman, AZ

5.253 2.059 $ 10.82 Kingman, AZ

$ 44.01

McDonalds $ 6.27 Prescott

Seligman $ 13.78

Seligman, water $ 1.29

Juicy's/Needles $ 17.31

ice cream/Kingman $1.82

Flagstaff, AZ Days Inn 77.31

Prescott Comfort INN 83.65

Guest Bob Call

Wow what a great driving adventure!

Where did you stay on Wednesday, April 15, 2009? Had to be somewhere around Bristow or Chandler, OK, with a Turner Turnpike toll of $2.25 and 2 1/2 hours driving time to your hotel in OKC.

I have traved part of your route many times. I have lived in Tulsa, OKC and Amarillo. I now again live in Tulsa and was in OKC the following week. Wish I had known about the meet, I would have liked to seen the cars.

Day 15, Friday, April 24, 2009

Before we started out this morning Mike changed the oil in the Cord. He went to the NAPA dealer, where they told him there was only one place in town that accepted used oil. He drove there and they let him change the oil in their lot, then dump it. Normally they only accept it in closed containers, a maximum of 5 gallons per customer per day, however they let him dump his oil, because they could watch what he was dumping. He has changed oil twice this trip about every 1300 miles. He has completely lubed the car

once so far at 2400 miles (Prescott) and has lubed the CV’s 3 times.

Today, we drove on Historic Route 66 from Needles, CA to Barstow. At Barstow, we got on 58 and drove NW to Bakersfield, CA. When we started this morning it was hot (about 97) and the top was down. There were motorcycles everywhere; bike week, and they were out in droves. The desert drive was hot and remote; barely saw another person other than smatterings of bikers. The section of Route 66 between Amboy and Ludlow was filled with volcanic craters and old lava flows. We stopped in Newberry Springs, at the Bagdad Café for an hour and a half lunch. The owner there is quite a character. She was writing a book and screenplay about her life at the Bagdad Café. Her son is an actor in Hollywood. She told us that 75% of her business is from buses with people from France, 20% is other buses, and only about 5% is from people following Route 66. Mike talked to a regular customer there about moving houses, trailers, fishing and carpentry. The cook there said he used to work at Harrah’s and bought the place when it went up for auction.

Today was a day of contrasts. The gas prices jumped to 2.999 at Needles, CA. They have gone down again; at Baron, CA gas prices were back down to 2.299 per gallon. Oops, got to buy gas again….the gas gauge is working again! In the desert it was very hot, but the wind was blowing so hard we had to roll the windows up to keep our hats on. By the time we got to Baron, CA (around 3:30PM); it was so cold, that we got our coats on to keep warm. The traffic on Route 66 was nil, we hardly saw a car in ten miles, however when we got on 58 out of Barstow, what a different story. The road was grooved and the bias tires of the car would try to follow the grooves, then a semi would go by, (it was two way traffic part of the way) so the semis coming form the other way would really give us a whack) Mike was fighting to keep the car going in the right direction the entire way from Barstow to 223 (Keene, CA).

The first part of 58 was mainly desert. Up in the mountains around Mojave, CA was thousands of windmills placed row after row along the mountaintops for miles. The sunlight on the mountains was beautiful. When we passed over the steep grade toward Arvin, the valley below was a gorgeous; green and lush, full of grape vines, and almond trees, followed by tomatoes and pepper plants.

We had supper in Arvin, CA, and then set the Garvin to find a hotel. The first one we were led to was not acceptable, so was the second. Finally, we were lead into Bakersfield, and settled on a Holiday Inn. There is a car show in town, so we got one of the few rooms left, just before dark.

Gas expenses

7.406 2.999 $ 22.21 Needles, CA

3.687 3.499 $ 12.90 Essex, CA

6.22 2.699 $ 16.79 Ludlow, CA

7.263 2.299 $ 16.70 Baron, CA

5.122 2.459 $ 12.59 Tehachapi, CA

Food expenses

Bagdad Café Newberry Springs $ 23.04

LasFuentes Arvin, CA $ 27.93

Needles changed oil $26.47

Day's Inn/ Needles $123.74

gas total $516.68

food total $379.00

hotel total - tonight $1156.93

souvenir total $71.21

Oil change total $73.06

total today $2,196.88

Mike has had a bad experience with antifreeze removing the paint. Also the car runs cooler without antifreeze. Our vehicles are stored in heated storage so we don't need antifreeze unless we get them out before schedule.

Man, that's a new one on me. I have worked on a LOT of old cars (two very large 100+ car collections) and never encountered that. Water is inferior to a 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze for cooling, and this mix also retards corrosion of your cooling passenges and radiator core.

To each their own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrpushbutton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, that's a new one on me. I have worked on a LOT of old cars (two very large 100+ car collections) and never encountered that. Water is inferior to a 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze for cooling, and this mix also retards corrosion of your cooling passenges and radiator core.

To each their own. </div></div>

That's what I've heard too. With pure water on cooling system it starts rusting out VERY SOON... I'm not quite sure what kind of freeze plugs are in Lycoming 8, but on MoPar big block, they are shot in about one summer.

But I guess pure water is thicker than water with anti-freeze, so if it leaks easily.. ? But still sounds quite odd..

Guest Bob Call

OK. Bristow, OK at the Carolyn Inn.

If you return by US 66, I40 and I44, try to make time to stay a day in Tulsa. Our downtown has some of the best art deco architecture in the world and lots of it for a small city. Also, great museums like the Philbrook Art Museum in the former residence of Waite Phillips one of the founding brothers of Phillips Petroleum Company (now Conoco-Phillips). The Thomas Gilcrease Museum, also an old time Tulsa oil man, is world renowned for its collections of American and western art with works by Charles M. Russell and Fredric Remington.

Since you are in Bakersfield, try to go out to the oil fields north of town along and north of the Kern river. Unless you have been there before, it is hard to believe how many oil wells there are in one spot. At one time there were 2 or 3 wells per acre. I haven't been there in about 10 years and I would guess a lot of the wells have been abandoned but there should still be wells from horizon to horizon.

Guest Bob Call

Oh, about the coolant issue.

I agree with some of the above posts, Mike should be using a 50 - 50 mix of water and antifreeze to protect against rust, lube the water pump and preserve the seals in the pump. By using a product called Water Wetter in the mix it will increase the cooling capacity of the coolant mixture to better than straignt water.

Guest elmo39

Mika i don't know what you are using for freeze plugs , but veven the original type should last longer than one summer , when i replace the freeze plugs i always use brass plugs , (they are available if you look ) the ones in my 54 DeSoto diplomat were replaced with brass in 1989 and are still good , up untill 2-3 yrs ago it was used as a daily driver . granted we in NZ don't get the extreme weather conditions that you guys get in Europe and the US, but if the original plugs only lasted one summer i think Chrysler would have been in trouble a lot sooner than they are now . I always use Anti freeze in my cars winter and summer as i have found that using it helps them run cooler in the summer and stops them freezing in the winter.now back to the original post , well done speed thats what these cars were built for , use them dont baby them and hide them away in museums, you might get the odd stone chip , but thats what paint shops are for , has been since they were first made.

I have had MANY big block MOPAR units and have NEVER had to replace the freeze plugs more than once during many years of ownership. If they go away within a year, you must be using acid for coolant.

Elmo, Keiser... I don't know what the plugs were, they were in couple of years ago rebuilt 413 BB, and ran 1 summer with only water. Then suddenly, my brother parked the car to a driveway and after 30 secs all we could hear was ppsssshhhhh ... and the water leaked out from the engine. There was couple of plugs that was rusted out.

Afterwards, we noticed that there were also brass plugs available grin.gif

Day 16, Saturday, April 26, 2009

Today we drove from Bakersfield to Pismo Beach. It was a beautiful drive over the mountain, through the valley, and over the mountains again toward the ocean. The mountains through here are fairly green and rolling; the valley was full of crop farming.

We left Bakersfield and drove SW toward Mariposa. As soon as were out of Bakersfield, it seemed like a different place, country. We drove by the largest dairy farm I have ever seen this morning. There was a cluster of at least fifty, large open-sided barns with fans to keep the cattle cool; they were surrounded by feeding pens with thousands of dairy cows. They were harvesting their alfalfa in the fields in the surrounding area. This was located on our route before Mariposa. I forgot to get my camera out, I was too busy looking.

The first mountain was rather steep, however not as bad at the one at Jerome, AZ. The weather turned sharply colder. We stopped and got our coats on and were still chilly.

The car drove great, cool as usual.

As we came down to the valley between the mountains it was beautiful, full of crop farming. There were fruit and nut trees, strawberries, grapes, onions, and lettuce, etc. There was a huge orchard, with paved roads running through the different fields. Oh!, and there were fields of oil wells…nothing like growing fruit on top and harvesting oil underneath.

The second series of mountains toward the coastline was not as steep as the first. We pulled to the side as often as we could to let traffic by. There are a couple of photos taken at the pull outs.

We drove out of the mountains and arrived at highway 101, and stopped for lunch.

After lunch, the Garmin lead us to Henry Portz’s home in Arroyo Grande, CA. Henry invited us in and we talked for a little while, then one of his neighbors walked over. We went outside and talked to him about the car, then went to the neighbors and looked at his plane restoration projects. After a while, we went back to Henry’s and checked out his Cord restoration project. Around 6 PM, Henry lead us to Pismo Beach where he had made arrangements for us to stay in a suite at the Edgewater Inn. Our room is beautiful, overlooking the ocean, and huge, like an apartment. Wow!

We walked down the street for supper last night after covering the car in the carport included with the room. Supper was at Splash; delicious!

Gas expense

4/25/2009 4.745 2.399 $ 11.38 Bakersfield, CA

3.484 2.799 $ 9.75 Maricopa, CA

Food expense

Splash Café Pismo Beach $ 25.83

Rancho Nipomo BBQ & deli/Nipomo, CA $ 10.28

A&A Express Maricopa, CA $ 4.38

Last nights hotel

Holiday Inn Express 110.88

Day 17, Sunday, April 26, 2009

Today we drove from our hotel in Pismo Beach back to Arroyo Grande to Henry Portz’s home. It was sunny but cool. The top was down. The rule is: if the sun is out, the top is down.

We visited a while with Henry, and then went to visit the car collection of Hardy Hearn. His collection consists of three Cords and several other cars. All really nice cars! Hardy owns the Edgewater Inn, where we are staying and another where we had brunch. It was great to get to meet with him and his stepson. He had a wonderful Steamboat model, Ferris wheel model and Carousel model as well as his cars. He also has trains the same scale.

Their Cord was equipped with a different water filter; Mike got the address to order one. He also asked Henry if he could see a disassembled transmission.

We left for brunch in Santa Maria at the Santa Maria Inn, where the fare was similar to on a cruise ship…table after table of fresh delicious entrées. There was a flowing chocolate fountain and chef to cook you omelet or waffle to order; there was a seafood table with mussels, caviar, and crab legs, another table with fresh fruit, Champaign and fresh squeezed orange juice was served…you get the idea…everything was delicious and first class!

After brunch we drove back to Henry’s to visit his garage once more. Mike told everyone last year that he went to Cord rehab…Henry put Mike through the Master’s program. So if anyone wants to know anything about 810-812 Cords, call Henry.

On the way back to the hotel tonight we stopped for gas. We passed a 1909 Buick just before the station and the owner drove in next to us at the station. We had a nice visit with them.

We walked over to Splash for supper. Tomorrow we go north again. We are going to meet with Josh Malks, and have the wheels trued.

Gas expense

5.134 2.379 $ 12.21 Pismo Beach, CA

6.21 2.379 $ 14.77 Pismo Beach, CA

Food expense

Splash Café Pismo Beach $ 20.66

Day 18, Monday, April 27, 2009

This morning we packed up our stuff and met Paul and Joan Taylor for brunch in the hotel parking lot. While we were deciding where to go, Hardy Hearn drove into the lot. We thanked him for his hospitality, and he declined our breakfast invitation. We had brunch at Marie Callender’s. It was delicious, and it was great to get to meet and talk to the Taylors.

After leaving the Taylors, we drove up the coast on Highway 1. We decided to skip the Hearst Castle until the way back. It was a beautiful drive although it is not for the faint of heart; it is a narrow, winding road with a few ups and downs, nothing like Jerome, AZ.

The weather was on the chilly side. In fact, I was down right cold until Mike dug my blanket out.

The bluebells were out and the hillsides were beautiful, filled with flowers. The driver was so busy watching the road that it was hard to take in all the beauty that surrounded us. There were many turnouts and we took advantage of them to gather more pictures of the car. Along the way we saw turnouts to view the elephant seals and we finally decided to check it out. At first we were looking in the water trying to spot them; then we noticed some lying on the beach. At first we thought they were dead but then saw one move.

All of the sudden we were spotting them all over the place.

We continued on highway 1 through the Big Sur area, and on to Monterey. We were going to drive out to Pebble Beach; however we weren’t sure that it was worth the toll, $9.50. By now it was time to get a hotel and dinner. We stopped at a Day’s Inn in Monterey and had dinner down the street at Denny’s

6.699 2.499 $ 16.74 Carmel, CA

6.663 3.709 $ 24.71 Ragged Point End, CA

Marie Callenders $ 32.66

Denny's $ 24.63

Day's Inn Monterey $58.91

Day 19, Tuesday, April 28, 2009

This morning we left Monterey, CA for a 38 mile trip north to Capitola, CA to see Josh Malks and to get Mike’s wheel fixed. (He had a spoke break in OK.)

We drove Highway 1 most of the way there. Josh had his Cord parked in the driveway so it was easy to spot the right house. We drove to his wheel expert, dropped off the wheel and went for lunch at Paradise Beach Grille. While waiting for the restaurant to open, Mike took Josh for a short ride while I walked down to the benches overlooking the Ocean. There were hand painted tiles along the wall near the benches. It was interesting to see so many different tiles each with a different motif about Capitola. Mike and Josh returned and we walked down to the restaurant and were seated overlooking the ocean. Of course, the conversation never swayed much from the topic of cars. Between Henry and Josh’s persuasion, Mike is nearly ready to look for an 812 Cord.

After lunch, we went outside to our cars; in our absence, we had each received a parking ticket. Apparently, the local law enforcers thought we should help finance the local economy, and both Mike and Josh had been so absorbed in their conversation that neither had put any money in the meter. That was a $33 error on both of their parts.

From lunch we drove to J B’s Wire Wheels. The wheel was fixed and he explained why it was continually breaking spokes. (Not heavy enough gauge spokes). He had completely dismounted the tire, replaced the spoke and checked the remaining spokes, remounted the tire, balanced the tire and trued the wheel. We continued to kick tires, so to speak, long after Mike remounted the spare. Thank you Josh, for all the time you spent with us today and for your referral for the wheels.

We returned back to Monterey, returning as we came…on highway 1. We are staying at the same Day’s Inn as last night. Mike decided to rotate the tires, as the front tires are wearing in the center. He had a group of guys supervising as he worked.

With that done, we decided to get some dinner and put some air in the tires. We went about a half block down the street to the gas station, got some air, and some gas and the car wouldn’t start…starter spring broke. The attendants pushed us down the hill, the car started, and Mike drove back to the hotel to make a more permanent fix. Yes, he has a starter spring with him. I walked down the street to the Jack in the Box and brought back supper.

Tomorrow, we plan on going to the Monterey Aquarium, and then driving back on highway 1 to the Hearst Castle.

4.931 2.299 $ 11.34 Santa Cruz, CA

6.968 2.379 $ 16.58 Monterey, CA

Paradise Beach Grille, Capitola $ 39.88

Jack in the Box $ 7.01

Days Inn Monterey 58.91

JB's Wire Wheels $90.00

Day 20 – Wednesday, April 29, 2009

This morning began early with a call to Ken Clark. “How does this Bendix come apart? I’ve done it before, and it seems like it just fell apart” “It does just fall apart”

And it did after struggling with it for a while longer. Ken offered to send one, overnight, but it wasn’t necessary. Thanks Ken! After that all went smoothly. The installation was while all the arm chair mechanics were out to ask “What are you doing?” Job done, we packed up and are off.

We decided not to go to the aquarium. Instead, we went north to Walmart to pick up a few things we were low on, sunblock and paper towels. After our shopping trip, (It’s now about 11 AM.) we were off to the Hearst Castle. We drove south on highway 1. It was such a beautiful drive last time that we just had to catch it from the other direction. This time the sun was warm and the wind was not so cold. (probably 60’s) Traffic was a little less, and we didn’t make as many photo stops.

After a quick stop for lunch, we got to the castle around 2 PM and signed up for the 2:40 PM tour. We went on tour 1, the recommended tour for first timers; the main floor, 3 pools, and guest house. There are 4 different tours to choose from. Ours was about a 45 minute tour followed by a 15 minute video. Hearst at one time owned an area about 300 miles by 300 miles, and fifty miles of ocean frontage. Wow! Our tour only touched the surface! It’s now a little after five.

We drove about 3 miles south on highway 1 to San Simeon and got a hotel. Across the street was a restaurant for supper. The sun has gone down and the wind has come up. It’s cold again (40’s).

The car is running great again. Tomorrow, we are heading west toward Sequoia National Park. We are going to miss Yosemite this trip.

GAS

8.284 3.709 $ 30.73 Ragged Point End, CA

FOOD

Ragged Point $ 6.01

Best Western Cavallier $ 49.19

OTHER

PO Monterey, CA 0.42

Walmart 58.21

Hearst Castle 40.00

Courtesy Inn, San Simeon, CA 54.45

Guest Dean_H.

I'm green with envy, what a fun sounding trip. The CA central coast is very scenic, especially in the spring. What a fun drive! You guys didn't miss much at the aquarium - it's overrated. In fact, I'd trade aquarium tickets for a ride in a Cord, any day. It seems your gas stops are frequent, is the fuel capacity small? And the gas station at Ragged Point, $3.79 ...ouch. Safe travels

Day 21 –Thursday, April 30, 2009

Today, we started from San Simeon, CA and drove northeast on 46, then 41 toward Fresco, CA and on to Zion National Park, then south to Sequoia National Park ending about midway through Sequoia at Montecito Sequoia Lodge at 7500 feet. Our travel today was so interesting. Just when you were getting accustomed to an area it changed.

We began by driving south on highway 1 along the Pacific coast. Then we turned east on 46 and began our ascent up the coastal mountain (more like large rolling hills) As we got away from the coast, the rolling hills turned into farms; first grazing areas, then grape vineyards, then orchards. We saw the workers in the field training the grape vines, plowing fields, baling hay. We drove past many wineries and tasting houses. The steeper hills were terraced. The land became flatter as we continued east.

Continuing on 41, we drove past a few large dairy farms. As we drove, the crops changed. At one point, we stopped at a farm supply store to ask what crops were grown there…cotton and pomegranates. There was a canal full of water lining the street for miles. At one point it looked like water flowed over the road, but it was just a mirage.

We turned off 41 before we got to Fresno. Our Garmin took us on several interesting roads. One looked more like a driveway; a single lane paved road that went on about three miles around a couple orchards. One area was lined with roses, thick as a privacy fence and about 6 or 7 feet high. It went on for miles, then went around a corner and continued. We saw a large oil refinery and saw several huge pumps pumping water.

I learned that an almond branch is usually spliced to a peach tree to make an almond tree. We even saw a very unique tree variety, a piston tree.

As we neared the Sierra Nevada Mountains, you could see them in a distance, getting clearer as we got closer. The farming country became more vineyards, some with huge boulders intertwined among the rows of grapes. The roads became steeper and more winding. The drop to the side got steeper and steeper. Mike has had a little experience now and is feeling secure in driving up these mountains. I was on the outside edge, and I could feel myself pushing down on the floor and back of my seat to support myself from swaying toward the door, which no longer felt very secure. As we climbed, we drove past the signs that gave the height, 1000 ft., 2000 ft., 3000 ft. etc. We rounded a bend and the car lost some of its momentum; we pulled over and let some cars go by, then shifted into 2nd. I felt a lot more comfortable traveling in the lower gear. We were able to do more pull offs too. At the point where 180 turned north to Cedar Grove, we continued southeast toward Stony Creek Village.

As we were driving, we suddenly noticed patches of snow, and it was getting noticeably cooler. At first Mike didn’t believe me when I told him I saw snow, then we saw more and more patches of it, and it became thicker and thicker. The Sequoia trees in this part of the park are not the huge ones yet, however we have seen some very large trees and even larger stumps. I was a little surprised by the trees; they have very thick trunks but are not that tall. There are some beautiful overlooks, with snow covered mountaintops in a distance. It really is gorgeous. At one of these scenic pullouts a photographer took our picture and told us it would be published in his book.

Around 5 o’clock we ended our tour at the Montecito Sequoia Lodge about midway though the park. It’s a large Lodge, nettled among the trees with a spectacular view of the snow capped mountains. The mile long drive into the lodge has snow about a foot deep on either side of the drive. We are at an elevation of 7500 feet. It’s an all inclusive resort, so meals are included.

The tank isn't that small, we just need to get out and stretch, also the gauge isn't that accurate and we are on lots of ups and downs and the tank pickup can easily get uncovered if you don't have it full of gas. Of course, we don't know how often there are stations, since we are traveling backroads.

Day 22, Friday, May 01, 2009

I enclosed a picture of some of huge snow equipment they had at the lodge. They also had snow grooming equipment for their cross country ski trails.

Today, we got up early to beat the traffic. We spotted a huge Sequoia, and Mike stepped inside its cavity as I took his picture. After taking several pictures in the area, we continued south to the road of giants and the museum. We got a couple pictures of the Cord driving through the tunnel tree. The trees were much larger today, more what I had expected.

We continued down the mountain, a 2nd gear decline of about 20 miles. There were many sharp bends and steep declines. We stopped for a few more photo opportunities. There was a tunnel under a massive rock, and several great shots of beautiful scenery.

By noon we were out of the park. We had lunch at Serranos in Three Rivers, CA.

It seemed like the minute the mountains stopped, the citrus groves began. We continue southeast toward Bakersfield, and then drove east to Tehachapi, CA. The wind was strong, and it was very hazy out. Before Bakersfield, dust was flying heavily, especially as we went through the oil fields. Shortly after we got out of Bakersfield it started raining. Mike pulled over and we put the top up, we then continued to our hotel in Tehachapi. There are hundreds of windmills lining the hilltops in this town.

Gas expense 4/30/09

6.245 2.499 $ 15.61 Paso Robles, CA

4.411 2.359 $ 10.41 Kettleman City, CA

5.474 2.399 $ 13.13 Squaw Valley Trading Post

3.956 2.399 $ 9.49 Selma, CA

5/1/09

5.841 2.479 $ 14.48 Bakersfield, CA

7.497 7.497 $ 18.74 Three Rivers, CA

Food expense 4/30 & 5/1/09

Mc Donald’s Kettleman City $ 8.18

Three Rivers, CA Serranos $ 22.93

Hotel 4/30/09

Montecito Lake 168.37

Misc.

Giant Forest Museum 3.81

Sequoia/Kings canyon NP 20

Day 23, Saturday, May 3, 2009

We started late this morning, Mike washed the car. It was very windy and overcast.

The car got dirty yesterday from the wind and rain. Mike also lubed the car again.

We finally left about 11 AM. It was still very windy and overcast but not raining. We drove to Barstow, CA on 58. About the most interesting site we saw was the windmills as we left Tehachapi. They looked like the tops were going around, floating in air.

The drive today was mainly through desert and mountains. At Barstow we had lunch, and then turned on 15 NE toward Las Vegas. Between the wind, the traffic and the road pummeling against the car it was a hard, very tense ride. We had a long incline through a mountain pass at 4730’ near Wheaton Springs, CA. At one point we had a crazy driver pass us on the right on the shoulder while another was passing us in the left lane. (Probably talking on his cell phone). As we neared Las Vegas, traffic got very fast,

There were several cars that we figured were going 100 or more.

We ended the day at a Best Western Hotel in Henderson. We were referred to a grill in town for supper, there was a car show just up the street from the restaurant. Some of the entrants are staying at our hotel tonight.

Day 24, Sunday, May 03, 2009

This morning we drove NW from Henderson on Lakeshore Dr. around Lake Mead. It is beautiful. The sun was shinning; it was warm outside right from the start of day. Temperature got up to around 86 today. We pulled in at nearly every scenic pullout. The water was low for this time of year, so many of the boat launch sites were closed, but there were still some boats on the lake. We should have some good pictures; there will be lots to choose from. After Lakeshore Dr. the scenic route continues on Hwy 169. That area reminded me of the Painted Desert. We drove about half way to Overton, then turned around and retraced our route back to Henderson. We continued on Hwy 93 to across the Hoover dam and SE to Kingman. There was a long line at the Hoover Dam to have your vehicle checked. A lot of construction is happening there, as they are making a new road to allow traffic. The construction is a massive undertaking and their equipment hides much of the Hoover dam. Because of the congestion, we missed our exit for the tours. We did not want to walk back from the other parking, viewing areas, so we just parked at a couple of spots, took pictures, and continued on.

Mike asked me earlier today if I wanted to go to the casinos. I told him “No, I would rather save my luck for the trip back home.

Hwy 93 south was very desolate. It is mainly desert and mountains. We did not have long, steep inclines or descents. It looked like someone just moved huge mounds of dirt and dumped them around in the desert. There was a snow covered mountain in a distance but most of them were just dirt or rocks without much growth of any kind.

About half way to Kingman, there was a gas station standing all by itself. There was a sign in the bathroom saying they have 10,000 visitors each week, please purchase something from their store. By the cash register, they had $1,000,000 bills that could be bought for a dollar.

We quit early today, 2:30PM. We had lunch/supper at Cracker Barrel, and then got a hotel. Mike is changing the oil in the car as I write today’s post. I haven’t been able to post for a couple of days; it keeps giving me an error message.

Day 25, Monday, May 04, 2009

Since we stopped early last night Mike was able to do some maintenance on the car. He changed the oil, washed the car, and scrubbed the tires. There were a couple of car guys with in the hotel parking lot and they got to know each other and kicked tires. Mike found one of his tire spring rings was cracked so he dismounted the spare and made the exchange.

We left from Kingman, AZ going east on Route 66 to Seligman. Route 66 was desolate; there were long periods where you didn’t see another car. We stopped for gas around Yampai, a place where the gas station, souvenir shop, hotel, laundry, and canyon rides were all offered at the same establishment. It was a little cool when we started; we both were glad for out lightweight jackets. When we drove by Seligman, there were about 6 buses stopped in front of the lunch place we stopped at on the way across. Cameras flashed as we drove by.

We continued to Williams, AZ on Hwy 40, stopping there to have lunch. After lunch we continued North on 64 to the Grand Canyon. There was a group of exotic cars there with graphics all over them that said Gumball 3000. We met many of their cars as we were drove to the Grand Canyon, and they were parked all over once we got there. We got out at most of the pullouts and took a few pictures. It is beginning to feel like we have scenic overload. Everything is beautiful! I was afraid we going to see someone go over the cliff today, there are some real fools out there.

We began at the south entrance, too bad Mike isn’t a few days older. His birthday is May 16, and he will be 62, old enough to buy the senior National Parks Pass. Since he hasn’t had his Birthday yet, we get to pay the full entry fee. We parked near the village, took a couple pictures and decided it was too congested. We got back into the car and drove Desert View Dr. (64 E) to the other scenic vistas. We tried to take a few pictures with the car in the foreground; but for most of the best views, you have to walk up to the path. It wasn’t nearly as congested at the turnouts, and it was much more pleasurable. We talked to a couple of young girls that are traveling and taking pictures, trying to sell them to pay for their trip.

After leaving at the East entrance, we continued on 64 to 89N to 160 NE to Tuba City.

Once there, we checked into a Quality Inn for the night and walked over to the restaurant next door and had supper. Mike is getting a cold, so he took some medication and is out for the night.

Day 26, Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Today we drove from Tuba City, AZ to Grants, NM. The majority of the day, we were in remote, Indian Reservations. It was a beautiful drive, much more interesting than I thought it might be. There were quite a few changes in landscape, the pavement was good, the temperature was comfortable, and there wasn’t much traffic. We really had to watch for bathroom and gas stops; but there were a few interesting stops.

There were jewelry, craft, and pottery shops scattered along the way. At one of them Mike talked to the artist, while I picked out a necklace. Another stop was the historic Hubbell trading post (Museum, arts and crafts store now). We stopped and had lunch at the border, and then drove a mile north of town to Window Rock. It is a gorgeous natural landmark; however they wrecked it, by putting up a bunch of office buildings close to it. We were able to line up a few photo shots without all the buildings and parking lot in them, but the most beautiful angles were destroyed.

We continued to 40, and the remainder of the day, we traveled on 40; no more photo opportunities, lots more traffic. We had another time change, so we lost an hour. Mike and I are both fighting a cold, so we were glad to stop for the day. Mike is doing the laundry tonight. He has done this chore throughout this trip.

Day 27, Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Today, we drove 40 from Grants, NM to 14 (Tijeras, NM) to 25 (Sante Fe) NM to Raton, NM. I was a warm day right from the start, not a cloud in the sky. I have a lousy cold or sinus infection, and felt miserable all day.

There were volcanic tunnels as we left Grants, NM. Traffic was heavy on the interstate. We did not stop to take pictures. Hwy 14 N to Sante Fe is also known as the Turquoise Trail; it was a very scenic route. We could see a snow capped mountain in a distance. Highway 25 is known as the historic Sante Fe Trail. It was full of curves and a couple of short steep climbs. We drove around 310 miles today; and would have loved to have stopped about and hour earlier, but there was no hotels. We were hot, thirsty, and tired, so that last hour seemed to drag. Raton is at an elevation of 5000 feet, and as we leave tomorrow to go north there is a steep climb to 9500 feet in 12 miles. (It didn’t show on the map).

Mike lubed the Cord tonight. He could actually work on it without a group of by standers. Tomorrow we cross into Colorado. If we have time we will have the spare tire trued in Denver. I think we should be at Lori’s (our daughter in FT Collins, CO) sometime Friday.

As of yesterday, we used 405.2 G of gas

Total Cost of 929.19

Food expenses total 751.63

Hotel Expenses total 2119.35

Misc. expenses 291.32

Total expense after 26 days $4091.59

Miles according to odometer totals 4784

Gas milage = 11.81235

Keep in mind that a lot of this has been on steep climbs.

Not to take away from Joan's very special diary, but Gloria and I have found ourselves in Oklahoma City for our daughter's Master's graduation. Believe it or not, we're only 1-2 miles from Arcadia where Joan was a few weeks ago. I'll be leaving out early one morning to get more pictures of this section of route 66.

Small world, Eh??? grin.gif

Wayne

Day 28, Thursday, May 8, 2009

We drove north up highway 25 to Ft. Collins today. Our plan is to stay here until Monday, then head east toward home. There is not much to tell about today. Highway traffic was nasty, especially around Denver. We stopped at Woody’s Wheels, however he was unable to true Mike’s spare. It takes specialized equipment that he did not have.

We took our daughter Lori, and her boyfriend out to dinner. I’m still not feeling well.

Weather is great! We didn’t take any pictures although the snow covered mountains ran to the west of us the entire distance today.