1946 REO Speedwagon

1946REO

I have been, much to no avail, trying to restore my Speedwagon since I bought it 4 years ago. Im not what I would consider a novice when it comes to repairs, engines ect. however this engine that is in this truck has had me stumped since I first dug into it.

When I bought it, it was not in running condition. However I was amazed that all it took was a battery and a shot of ether to free her. I would love to keep the original engine, as it runs fairly well, but I do need to replace things like the water pump, the distributor is a little finickey and nearly every gasket (I doubt its been done...ever)

This is where I hit a wall. Parts are nonexhistent. I do know that it is a Continental Engine, and that they were used in everything from cars to generators and welders. I guess Im just asking it anyone knows specs for this engine, the correct identification numbers and possibly an outlet that I could purchase parts from?

post-61354-143138066608_thumb.jpg

post-61354-143138066611_thumb.jpg

everything on the engine can be removed,sent out and have it rebuilt,or buy rebuild kits for you.

then&now

. south weymouth,ma/for fuel pump,carb,water pump./kits or rebuild

burton l. norton co.

grand rapids,mi ph.#616-677-1208/for distributor

classic carbs

phoenix,az/ph.# 602-971/3300/kits or rebuild

• 6 months later...
Guest dealwithme
I have been, much to no avail, trying to restore my Speedwagon since I bought it 4 years ago. Im not what I would consider a novice when it comes to repairs, engines ect. however this engine that is in this truck has had me stumped since I first dug into it.

When I bought it, it was not in running condition. However I was amazed that all it took was a battery and a shot of ether to free her. I would love to keep the original engine, as it runs fairly well, but I do need to replace things like the water pump, the distributor is a little finickey and nearly every gasket (I doubt its been done...ever)

This is where I hit a wall. Parts are nonexhistent. I do know that it is a Continental Engine, and that they were used in everything from cars to generators and welders. I guess Im just asking it anyone knows specs for this engine, the correct identification numbers and possibly an outlet that I could purchase parts from?

I have and Reo 1947 just like the one you have I did a body swap. Still have the motor and Trans,rear end ECT...

try some of the guys that sell old dozers, graders, tractors etc. with a little internet search you can find them. like you said, the continental was in pretty much anything, so I expect that everyonewho works with old equipment will have a few parts laying around. I just deal with old car & truck parts, but somehow I have Continental parts in my stock (rod bearings, filters, some more).