Difficultly removing the console

Reattatude

the cassette/CD holder doesnt want to come loose. Manual isnt much help. I need to take out the console storage unit to loosen the trim and remove the front storage (cubby box)

I dont want to damage the CD holder, so anybody have suggestions, I thought its supposed to just snap out?

Guest CL_Reatta

use a small flat head scredriver to pry it, it has 4 clips that hold it down... I attached the pics from my center console removal thread.

100_0835.jpg

100_0839.jpg

Storage in a 90/91 armrest compartment is in two pieces, the cassette or cassette/cd holder (depending on the option) and the main shell. Both just pull out.

Depending on what has gotten spilled, they may be stuck together. Use a steady force to seperate but do not play Godzilla.

Guest CL_Reatta

hmmmm, half my post like disappeared when I said that the cassette holder just come out along with the pic????

maybe i'm just imagining that I put it on the post?

The 1991 cars are same as 1990 consoles, clips holding in the CD holder, two screws for the back of the shifter console and clips on the black trim. You have to remove the black trim first and then the chrome trim. Disconnect the fog lamp switch, remove two screws for the chrome trim. Then you can access the two torx screws holding the cubby box storage

Have I finished installing my burlwood Riviera trim?? NO.

the storage box needs work, the chrome trim is not attached so the door doesnt work smoothly.

Worse, the dash bezel came with one screw (oh boy a spare screw I thought) Yeah, it came with that screw b/c it is jammed and wont come out!! argh.

I am going to try removing the vent part from the bezel and use a c-clamp to push the screw out - then I will find out if the mounting hole is any good at all - will probably have to find a small washer to make it work again. ; P

Guest steveskyhawk

Reattatude

Do not try to remove the screw in that IPC bezel. I have seen this situation where one screw doesn't back out many times. Simply feed that screw into the tinnerman and when you tighten it it will draw the bezel into it's exact final location. If you attempt that deal with the c-clamp you will break the bezel. Removing that screw is unnecessary. Keep it easy.

• 2 years later...
Guest Squire Tom

how does one remove the cigar lighter socket ? lost power to the unit and appears either socket is bad or electrics have come loose. fuse is ok and v meter does not register any voltage. need the hots for my garmin.