Strange Looking Cord

CarlLaFong

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 58Mustang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=352467

Found this on the HAMB. Any ideas? </div></div>

Thanks for the post John, It is up to page 2 on the HAMB right now, and will hit 4 by tomorrow morning IMO. Something looks very odd about the Cord trunk area. I'm sure someone on the HAMB will have the details.

Seems to me I saw that Cord on the display board of Gordon Buehrig at an AACA meeting one night. He was showing his conceptual drawings at the meeting as a guest speaker.

The 810 and 812 Cords had little trunk space, even the "hump back". The Cord pictured didn't leave the

Auburn Automobile Company looking that way, someone altered the rear, probably using part of the rear clip of a GM '40 or '41 body, much like that on the blue '40 Olds convertible pictured. When they were just orphaned old cars, Cords were subjected to numerous alterations such as larger rear windows, cut down doors (ala Darrin) on open models, updated bumpers, engine swaps, conversion to rwd and more. Those altered Cords surviving have often been returned to their original configuration.

As an afterthought, the lid reminds me more of that on a friend's '39 Plymouth business coupe because of its length. The Cord Cabriolet also had a long lid. This Cord was pictured years ago in an ACD Club newsletter and is recognized as one that was altered from original later in its life, and not a "factory job". Joinery must have been nice hammer-weld work as lead doesn't appear where the grafting would have occurred.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave@Moon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't find what was being referred to concerning another picture of possibly the same car elsewhere in the book's chapter.</div></div>

Me either. </div></div>

Previous page (339), bottom right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Previous page (339), bottom right.</div></div>

I'd dismissed that one because it was a darker color and had whitewall tires. In retrospect I think you're not only right, but confirmed the car as the same one in the photo.

If you look at the photo it looks like it was originally a slate blue color (especially around the trunk lid), and was re-painted a very pale green at one time. I think in the Crestline book we have 2 photos of this car at different point in time, one pre-war and one post-war (when a set of whitewalls would've been out of the question).

I hope the owner knows how special this car is. cool.gif

The paint had been stripped to bare metal, then was never coated so it rusted, except for the doors and fenders, which maybe had been treated to light gray primer. I think the slate gray may just be oxidized lead. Appears as a typical abandoned restoration project.

Looks like it could be saved if not allowed to get much rustier. in my opinion the rear "appendage" should be removed and the body restored as original. I doubt that the alteration workmanship would look so great if it were seen up close in the flesh. Some may disagree, I personally regard the alteration as a denegration of Gordon Buehrig's original design that time and again ranks in the top 10 of best all time designs..

But Gordon, himself, felt the bustle-back that the factory added was a denigration as well. If this car started out life as a fastback, slant back (or whatever), I'd agree with you, but this GM inspired back-end looks a mile better than what the Company did to Gordon's original design.

It could have started life as either a factory fastback or a bustleback. The factory bustle back was grafted on right over the original opening of the fastback. I never liked it either. But the real abortion was when the bustle lid was put on a couple of open Cords, and they were factory too.

Guest aussie610

is it actually a Cord?

Graham and Hupmobile purchased the body dies from Cord and produced the Hollywood and Skylark. Could it be one of those?

Is it front wheel drive and does it have the headlights in the guards? That should be a good indicator to if it is actually a Cord or a Graham/Hupmobile

Assie610,

If you use a photo editor program to enlarge the photo and change the contrast, you can get a fairly good view of the dashboard. From viewing the dashboard, and from the prior posts, the car is a Cord. The issue is if it is a factory modification or an after market modification. The consensus is that it was an after market modification inspired by some of the circa 1941 GM "Torpedo" body styling. I have looked at the 1941 Cadillac Series 62 and the Buick Super and Roadmaster rear bodies (including the deck lid shape) and have concluded that there is a resemblance, but they are not exactly the same. If the modification is aftermarket, it seems to have good workmanship.

Grandpa

That Olds was top of the line and RARE! Production just 290. Assuming the car is do-able (with a little paint and a lot of money) I personally would hope that it would get a restoration, rather than be rodded. Finding parts and/or a donor car shouldn't be extremely difficult. But it's not mine, and who am I to tell the owner what to do.

Hi- OK, lots of thoughts here.

First of all, with all due respect, 58Mustang, why do you list cars that are sold? Some people have quite a list of those.

Second, great teaser, but are these cars still there, and if so, where, and if so, contact information.

Third, the guy who goes by the moniker Carl La Fong cannot have picked a more fantastic name. To those who do not know, it is a W.C. Fields reference, and now that I have let that out, think I will go dip my pink and white body in yon Roman tub, I feel a bit gritty after the affairs of the day.

Happy Motoring to all, beautiful weather in Virginia, the Pierce will be playing on macadam this weekend.

Guest Bad Boy Auto

I own a Cord and have been an enthusiast for some years now. I believe that car is a Graham. I have read that several Grahams, before their demise, used as many Cord parts as they could. Maybe the Cord dash, in this instance.

Bad Boy, it is a Cord, not a Graham. That has been established

Trimacar, what are you talking about??? Why do I list cars that are sold?? I did not "list" it. It is not mine, I don't know where it is or who owns it. I simply found it interesting. As far as I know it is not "sold".

I post on the HAMB also. I am Carl La Fong.

John. Capital J, small o, small h, small n

It is a Cord I know a past owner. It sat outside for many years in Elroy Wisconsin I have a friend who has pictures of it there.

Trimacar, in defense of 58 Mustang, this is not the forsale / wanted forum. He is looking for identification.

David, Please don't get picky on the details of 58 Mustang's post. How often do you see something generate THREE PAGES of replies on this Forum? I thought the Cord was neat, and enjoied seeing the photos and learning its history. I'd like to see it rolling down the road rodded or restored, stored inside wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I agree, this is one of the better threads in a long time. If you go to the ACD forum or Hamb thread there are a lot more details about this car. Definitely a period custom Cord and very cool indeed. Bob, I disagree about this car being rodded. This is a one off period piece and that would be a shame. If somebody wants to rod a Cord there are plenty of Westchesters.

Btw, Grahams are easily distinguishable from Cords as the nose (hood, fenders, etc)of the car is completely different. The graham's wheelbase is 5 inches shorter and the total weight was 500 lbs less making the supercharged Hollywood the fastest American car 0-60 in 1940.

58Mustang,

He is asking about the (sold) cars in your signature line of your posts.

If I listed all of the cars I have sold, I don't think I would have much room to type anything else. grin.gif

OK, I get it. I dunno. I used to list them because I owned them. As I began to sell them off, I added the "Sold" along side of them. I guess I left them because I no longer own any collecter cars, but I didn't want to be seen as a lightweight. Yeah, the list could be a LOT bigger and I hope it will have more "Non Sold" cars added when my fortunes change for the better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MCHinson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">58Mustang,

He is asking about the (sold) cars in your signature line of your posts.

If I listed all of the cars I have sold, I don't think I would have much room to type anything else. grin.gif </div></div>

58 Mustang..Hi John (yes, I love it, Capital J, small o, small h, small n, and if I did know John I wouldn't tell ya!. In your signature, numerous of your cars listed have a (sold) after them, that is what I was asking about,not the car being discussed. No offense, just curious.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alsancle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree, this is one of the better threads in a long time. If you go to the ACD forum or Hamb thread there are a lot more details about this car. Definitely a period custom Cord and very cool indeed. Bob, I disagree about this car being rodded. This is a one off period piece and that would be a shame. If somebody wants to rod a Cord there are plenty of Westchesters.

Btw, Grahams are easily distinguishable from Cords as the nose (hood, fenders, etc)of the car is completely different. The graham's wheelbase is 5 inches shorter and the total weight was 500 lbs less making the supercharged Hollywood the fastest American car 0-60 in 1940.

</div></div> Ok, I guess I need more info on "Period Piece", but in my opion it is a period Hot Rod/Custom. I'd like to see it restored to its finished look before it was sent to the back 40 to sit out its old age.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1937hd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, I guess I need more info on "Period Piece", but in my opion it is a period Hot Rod/Custom. I'd like to see it restored to its finished look before it was sent to the back 40 to sit out its old age. </div></div>

I mean it was customized during the period of the 40s so it should be brought back to that. I would hate to see this turned into a 21st century period custom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alsancle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1937hd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, I guess I need more info on "Period Piece", but in my opion it is a period Hot Rod/Custom. I'd like to see it restored to its finished look before it was sent to the back 40 to sit out its old age. </div></div>

I mean it was customized during the period of the 40s so it should be brought back to that. I would hate to see this turned into a 21st century period custom. </div></div>

Ok, we're on the same page, just said it differently. I'd hate to see it totally restored to factory new, as much as I like stone stock Cords. Got to sit in a friends Westchester, nothing has a better looking dash. Also got to drive an L-29 around a bit, that dash shifter isn't as bad as Dad said it was back in the day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I mean it was customized during the period of the 40s so it should be brought back to that. </div></div>

I think based on the photo in Don Butler's book that it was actually customized when new. It looks to be brand new in the first photo. Also the wide whitewalls would've been all but unattainable for most of the 1940s if not the 1950s as well (in that size), which is probably why it's wearing blackwalls in the second photo.

Hopefully someone still has first hand knowledge of who and when this car was built.

This post also appears on the ACD Club AACA Forum. There is a person on that forum that thought that this Cord was done by Alex Tremulis when he worked at ACD (the Auburn Co.). Tremulis joined the company in 1933 and later became Chief Stylist. He remained with the company until they closed the doors in 1937.

Grandpa