1937 Airflow Speedometer for sale

<span style="font-weight: bold">I received this through WPC Club Email. If interested in this item do <span style="color: #CC0000">NOT </span>reply here but contact the party directly via the email link. </span>

<span style="color: #3333FF">Name : G

Primary Email : gpjum@yahoo.com

Secondary Email : gpjum@yahoo.com

Subject : Other

Enter your message here : Hi,

We have a 1937 Chrysler Airflow speedometer in good condition. The numbers on it are 685 and D-12. Would you know of anyone who would be interested in it?</span>

On ebay these would bring the Airflow parts hoarders out and even if someone had 10 of them, they would purchase another for $500 or more.

Guest JohnArthurSpinks

BJM,

I detect a little animosity towards Airflow owners, yes/no??????????????????

Have a good day.

John Spinks

Yes John. I had to give up on my 1936 C9 because of Airflow parts hoarders. My C9 was stripped of all of it's Airflow specific parts really. It had the straight 8, power brake option and was only missing the air cleaner assembly under the hood. Missing the radiator.

Interior was missing seats, gauges were bad, etc. I started watching what few Airflow auctions existed on ebay at the time. I noticed trends of some buyers buying the same things over and over again.

I thought "How many speedometers and trim parts does one person need?" I contacted a couple of the guys and said let's call a truce. Becuase here we were bidding these items up past the market value.

The responses were positive - OK, let me know what you really need and I'll back off, I'll let you know what I need.

A nice speedometer unit came up for sale and I bid $150 realy quick and let the other guy in on it. He said OK. Then I noticed I got outbid on it by the guy and he won it.

His response was that you never know when you might need another one. Sorry and he said he bid just over my bid at the last minute so I would not outbid him.

I watched his bidding for awhile. He said he had a 1936 C10 I think. He bid on everything 36 Chrysler Airflow on ebay. I also had a bad experience with the Airflow Club of America. So I had had enough. In about 7 months of owning the Airflow I had few parts.

You see a lot of these Airflows. Stripped of their valuable trim parts - they will never get restored, maybe rodded. The guy that bought mine was going to rod it.

Guest JohnArthurSpinks

Bryan,

It sure sounds like you were burn't bad.

I, in the other instance, cannot speak highly enough of the dealings that I have had with fellow Airflow Club Members.

I think that if anyone was open to being ripped off it would have to be me when you consider that I live thousands of miles away in Aussie.

I have had nothing but support all the way through a very difficult restoration of a C9 Coupe.

I have also noted that what has got under your wick is not only confined to Airflows as the same thing can and is happening with Fords, GM etc etc.

Never get disheartened my friend as the parts are always available elsewhere, albeit with a lot of searching.

Cheers

John S

Thanks John. I agree I did speak with some nice folks with the Airflow Club - in fact they counseled me before the purchase of my C9. Of course, they said GO FOR IT! wanting to see another Airflow restored.

In hindsight, I have looked at 3-4 1937 C17's which are my favorite Airflows of all time. For each one I look VERY carefully at the unobtainium parts and make sure they are present.

It's costs much less in the long run to buy a complete Airflow project. I think my C9 was restorable from a body/frame/engine standpoint but some Airflow collector got to it before I did, convinced the then-owner to sell them all the trim parts probably for $500 or so - then I purchased it.

It would have taken me years of parts searching to come up with everything. Also, I did not have a shred of interior left for patterns.