want to buy 1955 olds- Delco Piston Hydraulic Master Cylinder

Guest sixsuper

Guest oldslady liz

got everything apart so need asap... a 1955 oldsmobile Delco Piston Hydraulic Master cylinder... anyone have one in great condition please let me know... thanks...Liz

Guest oldslady liz

but will buy the whole master cylinder if nessasary... the thing that makes this difficult is it is for power brakes.. fusicks and all the rest do not have it for power brakes..

Guest oldslady liz

I need the delco piston for the hydraulic master cylinder {brakeS}thanks... power brakes... thats why hard to find..

Guest oldslady liz

thanks... i will send him email... not looking good so far... everyone has for manual..but for power brakes another story... we may have to send this piston in to be rechromed.. unless the restorer can make it smooth again.. and safe... then in the fall we would have the piston rechromed... since it takes months to get the part back...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> then in the fall we would have the piston rechromed</div></div>

Liz, you really need to use the correct nomenclature for whatever part you are talking about or include a picture. What you are saying vis-a-vis "rechroming" a piston makes no sense at all.....Bob

Guest oldslady liz

There is a piston that goes inside the Hydraulic master cylinder... it is a chrome piston.. the chrome got a little rough in a few spots ..so the restorer will try to smooth it out so it fits and moves within the cylinder the way it should..or i need to find another one...

[/There is a piston that goes inside the Hydraulic master cylinder... it is a chrome piston. quote]

I think I now know what you are refering to. It's correctly called a "vacuum power brake "PLUNGER" although the manual refers to it as the master cylinder plunger The only "piston" in the whole power brake unit is the large vacuum piston. If you have a moraine unit the part # is 5454892 and 55 to 57 will fit. If Bendix, part #563731 and 53 to 57 will fit.

If the plunger is pitted and rough it's pretty much toast because it slides within seals. "Rechroming" would be very expensive because hard chrome does not deposit evenly and the plunger will not be the correct dimensions unless you have it reground after, and maybe even before and after, rechrome.

Were I you I would call Ed Strain @ 800-266-1623 and explain that I had a unit that had a pitted plunger and ask if he could rebuild it. That's all he does and chances are he has spare parts. He typically charges a bit more than $200 for a rebuild and turns the unit around in a week. Failing that a useabe replacement complete unit is probably the answer. I'm sure there are NOS plungers out there somewhere but it might be tough finding one......Bob

Guest oldslady liz

thanks very much for information... i am learning so much as i go... this is a delco unit.. i will give him a call tomorrow and see what he says.. even if my restorer fixes this to last awhile..come fall i am putting the car back in and i will have it all totally replaced.. but finding it difficult to get even the entire unit delco for power brakes.. etc.. so i hope this fellow can do that.. thanks again..

Guest oldslady liz

just wanted to say bought entire new unit and had it installed..why fool around... great now..so well worth it.