Studebaker Part doubt: Primer assy, Part no. 905723

Hi:

I just bought a part which I have no idea what it is... The tag says:

Primer assy. (Gov't issue)

The Studebaker Corporation

Part no. 905723

It would seem to me as it is some sort of a pump but would love to know what it is exactly. Can anybody shed some light?

Thanks,

victor

Guest stude8

The 905xxx series of part numbers were used in 1941 - 56 trucks and seem to be usually small metal parts like clips and screws from the few I found in my truck catalogs.

I suspect your part is for military truck application, I don't have any military truck part catalogs to browse.

For reference <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">905731</span></span> is "Clip to dash" chassis wiring all 2R;3R;E;2E (1949 thru 1956)models.

Stude8

I agree with Stude8, Victor. The fact that the box is marked "Gov't issue" would indicate to me that it is a part for a military vehicle. A primer would have taken the place of the choke and was probably used in conjunction with a hand throttle. This is a very uneducated guess, but it may have been used on some Studebaker US6 trucks.

Terry

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Stude 8 and Terry. I haven't been able to find anything more. If I understood correctly, it is part of the gas system, and would seem to help pressurize the system? This would sound to me as what I have heard very early cars used. Is this it? Or how or why would it have been used in conjuction with the choke?

Thanks,

victor

As already stated, this is a very uneducated guess, but as I see it this pump would have been used to inject a measured amount of fuel into tlhe intake manifold for starting purposes. It wouild not be used to pressurize the system. There would not have been a choke. A hand throttle would have been used to provide a fast idle for cold starting. I would say WW2 vintage maybe.

Terry