New, with '49 Four door, in Victoria, BC

Guest Mr. Lang

Guest Mr. Lang

Well, I'm new here, but my car isn't new. I've had the car for about two years now, but just found this place. (Thanks Stan from the HAMB)

I live in Brentwood Bay, which is near Victoria, I'm excited to see from a quick search here, that there is at least one other person from the area. I've always been interested in old cars, but had never owned anything this old. I saw it for sale, and just had to have it. I own it, and a '50 Chev One Ton. Both are stock, down to the mighty 6 volt batteries, though neither have been restored really. They are both kinda rough, but I drive them every day. Well, I drive my truck every day, I put about 800 miles a month on it, though in the summer I drive my car more than right now.

About my car:

Its a 1949 Silver Streak, although I hear that that might not be the actual model, I don't know. I do know that it has four doors, is what I think they call "notch-back". The car was painted about 20ish years ago, but I have mostly polished through the repaint. The seats were reupolstered in wool, but they have worn through in the front. There is some foam under there, so I assume they were redone. The headliner and everything else is original, to my best detective work anyway. Under the hood, nothing has changed, although to my shegrin there are some pvc wires in there. At some point I'll have to break the bank and buy a roll of cloth wire and replace them. It has the mighty 239 Six, and a Carter WA-1.

It's got the skirts, and on the rear it has what I belive are called wheel disk covers. -The large pontiac hub caps that cover the enitre rim. On the front are the regular hub caps. The car does NOT have a stainless trim strip down the middle of the doors and fenders, and I don't know if it should.

I have driven the car about 2300 miles so far, and it now has about 55000 miles on it. All I've done so far, is change the fluids often, make minor adjustments, rebuilt the carb. I have also touched up the ends of the wiring with liquid electrial tape. I know that's not the best, but the cloth wire is so pretty, and much to my surprise, the wire is tinned full length.

I did just buy a light up hood ornament on ebay for $25, though I have not put in a pitail and installed it yet. I assume I should wire it to the taillights so that it stays on for both the headlights and parklight positions.

I also got a set of Portalwalls for christmas from my Dad, and will be putting them in once the weather warm up.

I am looking for another intake manifold and exhaust manifold for the car, thoughI have not yet begun in ernest. I see there is an edmunds double duece for sale on ebay right now, although even if I could afford to buy that, I sure couldn't afford the the bolt carbs that it uses!! Plus, driving around at 50mph isn't exactly Bonneville.

My car has a torque tube drive line. Is that a Canadian thing? I see in the shop manual I have that they show an open driveshaft. I am interested in the differences between the Canadian and American cars.

That's about all I've got to say for now. A bit of a novel. Oh yeah, my horn ring is broken, I figure I'm as likely to find one of those as a pot of gold!

IMGP0494.jpg

IMGP0492.jpg

The Canadian Pontiac is a Chevrolet except for the engine and trim pieces to make it match an American Pontiac in style. Generally the Pontiac had a little better quality upholstery than the Chev.

Guest Mr. Lang

Ahh, so that's what's up with my tail lights and steering wheel. So, is that the deal with the torque tube as well?

• 5 weeks later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Lang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ahh, so that's what's up with my tail lights and steering wheel. So, is that the deal with the torque tube as well?

</div></div> Yes, torque tube, too, is a Canadian thing borrowed from the Chevrolet. Also, instead of Hydra-Matic Drive, automatic Pontiacs in Canada of that era used PowerGlide and I believe all Canada cars were six cylinder even though the straight eight was much more popular in the US.

Guest Mr. Lang

I actually just received a Canadian Shop Manual for my car, hooray!

Tin Indian, I'd love to see your car! I'll PM you, maybe we can get together someday.

Christopher

• 4 years later...
Guest vicpontiac

i know this thread was started five years ago but do you still have the car. I live in Victoria and have a 51 streamliner I bought recently. I would love to have a chat with someone in the area about these cars. Thanks

• 4 months later...
Guest 50SedanDelivery
i know this thread was started five years ago but do you still have the car. I live in Victoria and have a 51 streamliner I bought recently. I would love to have a chat with someone in the area about these cars. Thanks

There is also a forum for us Canadian Pontiac owners at:

http://canadianponcho.activeboard.com/