Removing 2" Hubcab Cover

Guest Mochet

Guest VeloMan

My 1913 car has a 2" octagonal hubcap, and I can't find any hubcap wrenches (or any other wrenches) that size. Should I just get a large-size open-end wrench for this, or is there a source for this size octagonal wrench?

Phil

DSC03394.jpg

I would get a thin piece (1/8") of steel and cut out the hex pattern with a die grinder. It should be strong enough to remove the cap. You could also try a strap wrench.

Channel locks work great on mine. I can just about remove them by hand. Try wrapping a soft rag aoundf them and using channel locks or an adjustable wrench.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> cut out the hex pattern with a die grinder.</div></div>

I think I would opt to make an open end wrench first out of 1/4" plate by 4" square. Weld to 1/4 X 1 X 14 handle, or even a pipe. The whole thing could be made with a hack saw in way less than an hour. Lots of ways to skin this cat....Bob

Guest VeloMan

I like the Channel-Lock idea; cheaper than a huge adjustable wrench. Then later I can try fabricating an octagonal steel wrench that looks like the original.

Phil

OK, How about this. Scrounge up a 1 1/2" long piece of heavy wall 2" I.D. square tubing. That will catch 4 of the nut flats. Drill a 3/8" hole through both walls of the tube near one end. Pass a large phillips screw driver blade through the holes and viola', instant 2" socket wrench that will last forever, looks professional, and takes up little room in your tool box........Bob

Thank you. I love a problem. The only possible fly in the ointment is if the nut is REALLY tight it might bow the walls out enough to slip. You might have to releive the inside corners a bit with a file too. Don't forget the anti seize when you reinstall........Bob

Hey,Phil; it sounds like your not far from either the Brass in Bucks Co. show this Spring, or Hershey show, in the Fall. Both great places to find an original type hubcap wrench from the many vendors who attend. good luck; Jerry janson

Guest stude8

You could do what I did, next Hershey Meet browse the buckets of old rusty tools for octagon stamped wrenches. I collected a good set of 8 of them in one afternoon, usually at a buck a piece depending on how rusty. Clean them up on a wire wheel and a little Rustoleum preserves them for a long time.

I looked to see if I had any extras in 2" but find 2-1/4" was the common size between 1-7/8" and 2-1/2"?

My wall mount wrench set gets a lot of comments from young guys who think hex is the only standard type.

Stude8

post-31139-143138050637_thumb.jpg

Why not just splurge and buy a socket to fit the cap and an adapter to bring it down to your 1/2 or 3/8 drive ratchet. You will only buy it once and you will never marr the surface of you cap.

Guest VeloMan

I looked, but couldn't find a 2", octagonal socket. Two inch seems to be a rare size in old hub wrenches, too. One guy had 9 different wrenches on eBay, and none were that size.

Phil

I like the idea of using a big socket or square tubing, but I found a couple of aluminum open end wrenches originally used for sanitary fittings in dairy and food processing facilities. They don't harm hub caps and provide more leverage than standard hub wrenches when you need to remove a stubborn hub cap.

They are just the right size for a couple of my Buicks. The photo below is a 1 1/2" X 2" Cherry Burrell brand wrench. I call it my "Crocodile Dundee Wrench" for obvious reasons.

post-41092-143138051203_thumb.jpg

I bought a cheep set of 3 different sizes of plastic strap wrenches from Harbor Freight. They look cheep but are the best $9.95 tool investments I ever made. They have plastic handles with a rubber strap that you can wrap around the round part of the hubcaps and it won't mar it. I use them to remove thin wall pressed brass hubcaps without a scratch or dent. They work great for removing stubborn, round brass radiator caps too.

Guest VeloMan

Problem: solved. Many thanks to Bhigdog (Bob Beck), who took a lot of time to make me a special "Metz" hub wrench!

Phil

DSC03396.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VeloMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Problem: solved. Many thanks to Bhigdog (Bob Beck), who took a lot of time to make me a special "Metz" hub wrench!

Phil</div></div>Wow very nice tool and for another forum member to help you out. This is what it all about isn't it smile.gif

That talent you all have. Can you rub a little off on me smile.gif