Need year and make!!

Guest AONEMACH

Guest AONEMACH

I played with this car in the woods when I was 14 years old and 32 years later its still there and looks exactly the same.This guage was in the center and contains volts,oil and temp guages.There is 2 smaller guages one in front of driver which has speedo and the other is a switch.The body of the car completly rusted to the ground the engine is a 6 cylinder,wood rims,hyrdrolic brakes. I have always wanted to know hope someone can help.

post-60704-14313804889_thumb.jpg

post-60704-143138048914_thumb.jpg

Guest 1928Packard526

AONEMACH —

I definitely agree with Dandy Dave that a photo of the motor and chassis would be a big help. There is also the problem of your mis-identification of the gauges you do show us. I believe there is no temp gauge present. You have identified the ammeter as a voltmeter (attached heavy wire speaks to that difference). Voltage measurement requires only the thinnest wire and the instrument face indicates "charge" and "discharge" not a voltage range. The large K-S gas gauge dash unit is not a temperature gauge but a fuel gauge. The third gauge may well be a oil pressure gauge because of the apparent tubing that was connected to it, but there is not enough left to be even certain of that.

The unit was mounted in the dash with the gas gauge at the top. This is indicated by the input line coming to that gas gauge and the discharge-charge designations on the ammeter face.

As a SWAG (Scientific Wild A-- Guess) I place the car in the mid-twenties. Buick perhaps?

Pete P.

The description of hydrolic brakes leads me to believe something like Reo, or Chrysler??? Probably not a Duesy. I agree with the mid to late 20's. Not many cars had Hydro brakes at that time, Should narrow it down. Dandy Dave!

Guest 1928Packard526

Leif —

The outline of the gauges shown in your post certainly looks like a close match to the gauge unit in the original post. The arrangement of the actual gauges differs quite a bit and that might help in narrowing down the year.

Did Buick actually have hydraulic brakes that early, or is AONEMACH maybe mistaking a cable actuated brake system for hydraulics? After so many years there could be some confusion in appearance. Hydraulics so early would really be unusual.

Of course later conversion to hydraulic brakes is always another possibility. A master cylinder of some sort should still be around in the rubble I would expect, if the brakes were truly hydraulic.

Pete P.

Guest AONEMACH

Leif this looks close, its raining today but im going to get pics of the chassie and engine and brake system. I always believed this to be an oddball high end car.

Guest 1928Packard526

Leif —

I think REO is the proper ID for this car. The picture you attached matches the parts in the woods in just too many respects. The remains of the steering hub, the shape of the clutch and brake pedals, the metal embossing of the panel above the dash, the location of the foot accelerator and foot rest, the hand brake top and location all match the REO as well as can be determined. A REO expert might be able to recognize the bumper badge.

I still see no evidence of hydraulic brakes, but the round structure attached to the firewall above what I assume is the starter is puzzling.

The remains of the engine should be easy for anyone Familiar with REO to either recognize or disallow.

Pete P.

Guest mercman86

If you look closely at the bottom picture of the engine and zoom in real close you can see a metal line connecting to a brake flex hose. Bottom toward the left on the frame rail...

Guest 1928Packard526

Fleek, and all that are chasing this ID question —

Fleek does have a point about possible hydraulic brakes when you study the portion of the photo he calls out. Could that round object attached to the fire wall be some kind of master cylinder?

As I look at the engine photo more critically it appears a solid vertical rod descends to the brake pedal area and there are two tubing lines coming out of the connector on the face of the round object. Strangest bit of apparatus I have ever seen. It cries out for further scrutiny by AONEMACH.

If you compare the photos of the engine at the site Fleek calls out with the engine in the woods, they appear very much alike.

The fan extension/water pump look the same. Both engines have two cooling galley covers attached with 12 bolts each. The oil filler tube is in the same location with the same two bolt attachment, as is the distributor and water goose neck attachment to the head. Looks like a very close match to me.

Pete P.

The motor looks the same as I had in a 1929 Reo model GA Truck I once owned. The truck also has Hydraulic Brakes. The Block Had "Nickel-Chromium" cast in big letters on the right side.

cool.gif Dandy Dave!

I know that Reo had a vacuum clutch option that was available on the 1932-34 Flying Clouds. It may have been available earlier. That could be what the round thing on the fire wall is. The car definitely has hydraulic brakes.

In the link I mentioned above, also note the front bumper and badge in the center of it look like a close match to the car in question also. I am not sure the cars are from the same year, but seem close to me.

Guest AONEMACH

Thanks for the help Im going to say it is a 27 REO and from what I can find in the ground it appears to be a 4 door sedan with luggage trunk still intact.Is there any value in what you see or is this just a pile of scrap.

Guest 1926pack

Could that round thing on the fire wall be a lubricator for the chassis, like the Bijur lubricator used on Packards of that era?

It is always good for parts to someone that has a similar car. In that condition I would not expect to get more than scrap price or a little better. Better to let it go to a collector for parts that could get some use out of it, than the Junk Man and have it reborn as a Toyota. smile.gif Dandy Dave!