1939 lincoln zephyr

Guest Ray Kuntz

Guest Ray Kuntz

I would like to replace some of the glass in my zep, such as the right rear window which has a crack. Wing vents are delaming around the edges, same with the two rear windows. The rear vent windows are seperating around the edges.

My front floor panels have small pin holes and cracks.

I'm also looking for a couple of bumper bolts.

I have a round hole in my fire wall to the engine compartment. It has a flang at about a 22 1/2 degree angle. I believe it has something to do with the heater. I can't figure out what it may have connected to in the engine compartment.

Hey Ray,I do not know how carried away you want to get with your parts replacement[correctness]???I believe correct dated glass can be obtained from Saunders in Oregon.Depending how you want to fix your floor, correct pans can be bought from Paul Bradley in Noth Carolina.I think the Zephyr uses the same football shaped stainless clad bolt as a V8 Ford.Hope this helps.diz

Guest DADDIO65

Ray,

I too had some pin holes in my floor. Rather than spending a ton of money on a new floor, I had it Linex coated. Not only did it strengthen the floor, it will NEVER rust. I then scraped the undercoat from the rear and re-applied it to the floor boards. If you are going to make a top quality show car out of yours, then I don't recommend the linex. However, if you are going to have fun with it, no one will ever be the wiser. Put your carpet over it and it's as good as new.

The round hole in your firewall is there for the "air heater" there are a series of tubes attached to a heat exchanger that runs off of your exhaust for heating purposes.

Guest DADDIO65

I completely wire brushed the whole floor surface. Then I de-greased it with 3M adheasive remover. It is expensive stuff, but it will take off even the toughest grease, undercoat, or glue. Make sure you have good ventilation, or you'll be higher than a kite. I had both pieces of my transmission covers done as well. Make sure they dont spray over your bolt holes for your tranny cover, that stuff is bullett proof and hard to remove. I went up to the seam on the fire wall, and back to the top edge of the rear seat riser on the floor. I chose to tape off the door sills that are screwed into the floor, that way if I ever need to remove them, I still can. I can send pictures if you'd like.

Guest Ray Kuntz

Daddio65

It sounds to me like you did a perfect job.

Pictures would be nice if you have any spare time. A few pictures are always worth a thousand words.

Ray

• 1 month later...
Guest DADDIO65

Ray,

Here are the pictures I promised.. Sorry for the delay! At one time someone coated the floor with a "tar" like material. The orange you see, I'm assuming is an anti-rust paint. I completely stripped the tar from the floors to allow the Linex to stick. The floors need to be 100% free of any dirt or petroleum based products. I assume this is not a standard practice for a show car, however, with my limited budget, this will outlast most of the steel on the car. I completely scraped the undercarriage of the car and re-undercoated it as directed in the Lincoln Authenticity Manual.. Let me know what you think.

Jeff

post-58346-143138059503_thumb.jpg

post-58346-143138059505_thumb.jpg

post-58346-143138059507_thumb.jpg

post-58346-14313805951_thumb.jpg

post-58346-143138059512_thumb.jpg

Looks great, Daddio. And it would work just fine on a show car since I don't know *anyone* who pulls up the carpet. From the factory, the cars had an undercoating applied on the bottom side, primarily as a sound deadener, but as we all know it didn't do anything to stop rust due to internal leaks.

Guest Ray Kuntz

Big question, what did you do to fill the big holes in the

floor? Did the LINX do all of that? IU really like how it all turned out.

Ray

Guest DADDIO65

To fill the bigger hole's I taped under the car with duct tape. Linex then sprayed lightly over those areas. Then fully coated the floor with approximately 1/8" of linex. This stuff sets in about 10-15 miniutes. It is actually a chemical reaction similar to epoxy so there is actually no dry time. I think that it worked out pretty well for what I am going to do. I would recommend that if this is done, ask a ton of questions. Primarily how long the company has been in business. How long their employee shooting the material has been doing it. I have used this company for 8 years here in Blair. Their shooter can coat most anything hell, he even did the inside of our duck hunting boat!!

Guest DADDIO65

J...

I work for a car dealership here in Blair, NE. We use what they call rubberized undercoat/sound deadener. It is manufactured by a company called ECP out of Illinois. We buy it in 50gal kegs. As soon as I can fit my fat rear under the car, I will shoot some pictures. I did not do any of the frame. I did only the sheet metal...ie. floor pans etc. I used a chasis black for the rest. Looking at the authenticity manual.. I think I did it right. From the factory, it was sprayed on rather thick. I tried to duplicate the way they did it back then. Just a note... A rattle-can undercoat will NOT give the same results for you... I tried.

I will get it on a lift to get some good pictures for you when I get the engine back in. Thanks!! Daddio

Daddio65,

I would love my Buick buddies to see this and comment on it. I hate to put you out but can you post on the BCA General forum- the before/after photos? We have a few guys doing restorations that this would help. You should also post under AACA Me and My cars/Projects section.

Who applied the LineX, you or a certified dealer? If a dealer, then do they bring the equipment to YOU or did you take your (non running) project to them?

Guest DADDIO65

Jake,

Line-X is a franchised company. They typically spray in bed liners. I am not a dealer, however, I average about 30-40 liners a month in sales. Most Line-X companies will spray what ever you ask them to. Again, I stress that it is rather difficult to do this in a car. Make sure who ever does your work for you is really good at it because it could potentially be a disaster if not sprayed correctly.

Most of these companies are a stationary facility. I trailered my car to them. Some have lifts...this would be great for the undercarriage. Only your imagination will stop you.

I will do my best to post more pictures.

Thanks for your interest. If any questions could be answered, send me a message, I'll forward my phone number.

Daddio

Thanks Daddio that's helps a lot and thanks for posting on the BCA forum. I think your floor looks great and can not believe this would take any points away from a judged meet entry. 1. because of location and 2. because you in fact restored it - some might say - over-restored the floor. The flow of the LineX follows the stamps and is essentially a "replacement" for the undercoating or rubberized "stuff" from the factory.

Thanks again