high oil pressure reading

Guest daveagain909

Guest daveagain909

my 90 conv with 122k miles has what I think is a wierd problem which I need your advise on, when dirving the oil pressure gauge reads very high on the gauge and only backing off a little from highest reading at times. I just drove it to florida from north carolina and the car ran great with no problems, shuld I be worried about this reading, I alway think high oil pressure is good? I am thinking it may be a sensor? any ideas?

I too had that problem on my former Reatta. That Reatta had high mileage so I used a $20.00 Discount Auto Sensor to fix it. A GM/AC Delco Sensor I believe runs about $80.00 at the Dealership (maybe less with the Buick Club Membership). I use GM/AC Delco if avaiable on my current Reatta thus I would spring for the higher-dollar Sensor.

The Discount Auto Sensor worked fine.

The installation is a tad cumbersome because of the Sensor's location but not earth-shattering. Go for it, a cheap way to ease your mind.

See ya, John in Sarasota

Is not difficult, have changed on a curb with a pair of pliers before. GM part number (88-90) is 3532954 (this same sensor can be used in a 91 but will have the wrong gain value & will read high)

However the sensor is delicate, is better to use the right socket and be gentle - tighten about like a spark plug.

Problem was so common that GM issued a TSB about it. (90-6D-6 "...erratic or displays high oil pressure...") Even the FSM says if in doubt, attach a mechanical guage.

Incidently the actual reading from the sensor is on BD71.

Having three cars with 3800s now, I generally keep a spare around since nearly every car I have had has needed one.

• Like 1