29 chryler vacuum tank and DA vacuum tanks

Guest 1930

I have looked thru my stuff and found original 29 and 30 literature stating that 1929 chryler model 65 did use a Kingston tank as original equipment. I tried to post even a single page here but it is to large. I have more than one specifications sheet stating this so I am sure it is correct. I have also answered my own question ( somewhat on DA tanks ) according to several publications dating 1929 and 30 only Kingston tanks were used on DA except as mentioned the exports, not only these various publications state this but also the DA part # in the DA parts Book matches up with some other parts books and Dodge literature clearly describing a Kingston tank not only by name but by description. Trouble is now is that I have seen more Stewert tanks on DAs than Kingstons, dont know why and will look a little further but it may go unanswered I guess. Maybe the Stewert was a better tank so people converted, maybe all this info I have is incorrect but this info is all original and not photocopied so I tend to believe it.If you want a copy of that Chryler info than let me know and I am sure I can e-mail some of it.

1930, Thank you so much for the information! I would definetly love to have a copy of anything you have!! My e-mail is 1929chrysler@att.net.

I will give a speculated guess why you have seen so many Stewarts on the DA rather than the original Kingston. I have a manual for the Stewart Warner and on the front cover it goes on to brag "Now used as standard equipment by OVER 90 percent of American automobile manufacturers". Perhaps over the years when people needed a replacement fuel canister they went with the most widely available Stewart. If that's the case looks like we might have a rarity on our hands.

The Kingston is so simple too. Very few parts compared to the Stewart and it works flawlessly!

Thanks again

Dan

What year is that manual? and I would like to have a copy of that also, I will e-mail some of the data tomm no problem. Your speculation is possible but I need to look into it further, I have seen ( not first hand unfortunately) some real original looking cars that used Stewert. Dougs is the one that first comes to mind so I will ask him here if he feels his tank is original, assuming that it is Stewert since he did not recognize my Kingston. I have had what I felt were real original field find parts cars but you never know with them I guess.

My car did not have a tank, it has an electric pump. The Stewart catelog pages I have says 215A, I think, for a '29 Dodge. I need to find it again. 215A is a model number for Stewart, describes size, mounting, and hookups. It does not mention anything about export or not. Also while in Kokomo last year we went to Kingston Estate house. While there the guide mentioned Kingston vacuum tanks as not being very good. I've never seen one, but I'm new to the six cylinder cars. Where are you finding a date code on vacuum tanks? I have several, but they are all Stewarts.

Guest Merchant Xpress

I have an electric on my 29 pickup also. It seems to working great though I need to get it closer to the tank I think. If I remember correctly electrics do better pushing fuel than pulling it. It is nice having it right up near the firewall though where I can check it. My filter is under the floor boards where I can easily check it. If I put them back by the tank I'll have to get under the truck to check things. I'm going to rebuild my Stewart tank again to see if I can get it working correctly.

Harry

I have had electric and had nothing but problems with them myself because no matter how low I turned down the regulator I still had too much pressure and that was a 6 volt from an early VW. I have also heard other negative comments about electric on this site but I cannot personally confirm these myself. If it works and you are happy with it than dont fix it I guess.

I have never heard anything bad about Kingston tanks from guys that have used them, I have heard alot of negative specualtion from guys that rebuild them and now from a disgruntled tour guide at the Kingston estate but cannot confirm why that is. Usually the guys that rebuild them say in the same breath how hard they are to find also so I am wondering if that feeds there fire. I guess they can be hard to find, I sold 3-4 a few years back but then bought 2-3 more from E-bay but I guess I have not seen any since then.

The advantage to Kingston is there are practically no moving parts inside, I am talking maybe a half dozen at most while the Stewert is not only doomed with pot metal tops and ( if memory serves me ) pot metal gears inside there must also be 2-3 times the moving parts. For me the less that moves the better. There is nothing inside of a kingston tank that can not be easliy serviced if it ever does go bad. The only thing I have never figured out is what the little springs are underneath the lid of this tank, I seem to remember having literature calling them dust springs but I may be WAAY off on that.

I have attached a couple of pictures here showing first where you can find that 215 date code you mentioned ( in case you were not sure ) and also some of the parts that make up the Kingston tanks, also trying to show you date code. If you run across that Stewert book I would be eager to get a copy, I am curious if it mentions that these are original equipment or are they reffering to replacement tanks. Also on that date code I cannot confirm this it is a 215 code ( although as I had mentioned it did come from DA ) I can barely see a # that starts with two, I can almost just barely with the moon and then sun lined up perfectly behind me on a brezzy day to circulate the dust out of my eyes see a 5 but it seems that there is still plenty of room for some other #s on the pad. You will find the # ( maybe ) on that little tiny raised pad that you see in the picture.

The date code on the Kingston is always ( from what I have seen ) just a month and last two digits of year. This one merely says 2 with a 29 below it, came from the same car that I removed that spare early engine I have so I know it was original to that car as well. As from what I have seen the date code on the Kingston tank will be within a month of date code of car.

Also this tank had the correct original A/C sediment bowl which is very hard to find. Did Stewert use a sediment bowl? All catalogs that I have and even literature mention an A/C sediment bowl, owners manual included state that all cars had this.

I just realized and looked to confirm that there is no possability that the A/C sediment bowl threads will fit on this Stewert tank that I have, sediment bowl is much larger it looks to me so this is great in that it is one more piece of puzzle against the Stewert not being an original canister. I have to admit though that the bottom of my Stewert tank is a little goobered up from a previous repair but it is my opinion not so goobered up that I dont feel fairly confident in saying that this sediment bowl will not work. I have attached a picture of the top of one of these bowls in case anyone needs it. It can be found eventually with patience. At one time I was working on reproducing these but I got sidetracked on other things.

I would also add that I know Glenn in Aust. makes repros, his repros are for as far as I can tell ( and this was discussed with Harry ) Australin built cars which may or may not have a different size fuel inlet on the bowl, not sure. Either way we have confirmed already that Stewert was exported by the DA parts book. I know or feel strongly that this Stewert tank I have will not accept this correct sediment bowl so I really am now leaning toward Kingston as being the only correct tank.

The only reason I am fighting this so much is because I have seen so many Stewerts on DAs and also I think that I have discussed this with Harry in the past and thinking that he may have told me that domestic DAs received both styles depending on serial # of car but I am trying to confirm that with him and waiting a response. I myself like to see hard copies of stuff and Harrys time is limited so I may not get that so I may always have doubts in the back of my mind after all this evidence if he does still confirm that DA used both on domestic applications because of the evidence ( hardcopy )I have.

Another things I can add is that the fitting that is funky shaped ( That belongs on the Kingstons )is one of two different styles that I believe to be original on DA, ( there may be more but I have never seen this )it is pot metal again so dont breath on it the wrong way. I also have the other style fitting which is shaped just a little bit differently if anyone needs a picture. And then there was also another version made in brass ( dont think the brass was ever offered sepecifically on DA but you really cant tell its even brass unless you scratch it ) that matches what I have shown here and I have found one of these also by buying spare canisters over the years so it is still avail to find but will take time. I also have a drawing and some instructions for making your own fitting if you should desire but for me personally it looks beyond my capabilities or desire but if anyone would like this I can e-mail them. The other fitting is simple L shaped and they are easy to find and are brass but can be easily mistaken for the fitting that exits your fuel tank as it does look similar on first glance but closer inspection and looking in your part book will reveal that it is a different fitting in # and appearance.

I have a few questions then I am hoping someone can answer.

I have never seen a Kingston tank coded 30, when did Dodge stop using these tanks... Just answered my own question, I guess they went to mechanical in 30 that is why I have never seen it.

Does anyone know the function of the little springs that goes underneath the thin metal cap and on top of the the inner tank. The fittings pass thru the initial thin exterior lid thru the springs and down into the inner tank. I have heard that it is supposed to stop me from overtightening the fittings but I dont see why they would use a spring and it really does not seem to affect how tight I make the fittings.

Lastly has anyone ever seen any sort of label on these tanks, I never have but I find it strange that there is not one, its surface area just cries for a sticker, My oil filter had one and I believe that the brake canister had one ( I am saving that for another discussion though ) so I am thinking this may have had one. I have only a couple of kingston Adds for literature, anyone else have anything on these tanks please???

I know I keep going on and on but either go onto a differnt topic or read on cause I am on a roll...Doug I just found some Sewert info, it seems I have alot on Stewert but two lousy adds on Kingston, anyway the Stewert tank model # 215 is listed in my literature as correct original application for 4 cylinder car, they state 216 as being same for senior 6 std 6 and victory 6, no listing for stewert tank as originall equipment for DA, they then list Dodge 6 cylinder 1930 as being model # 178. What would this have fit???? Dodge 6 cyl??? I am only somewhat familiar with DA so what do you think this could be reffering to, what model I mean???

Now on another stewert page of literature it does not state either way as being used as original or replacement equipment but it gives breakdown of Stewert tank and lists at top 2249-2251-2252-DA-130-131....I see now that 2249-2252 must be model #s of suitable replacements (But not standard equipment ) for the DA and Victory six I.E. 130 and 131.

post-48869-143138044632_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138044634_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138044636_thumb.jpg

I think I know where there is a Kingston tank, I'll try to get a picture. As to the brake reservoir it does get a decal, mine is orange. Some of it is there, can't read it. A repro is supposed to be available, it was in a recent DBC newsletter. The 215 is not a date code for Stewart, but a is a model number. I need to find this catelog. The OEM is one number and replacement is another number, does not referance export that I recall. I have a 215 Stewart that will replace the electric pump. Even though it SEEMS to work right now, it doesn't belong there. As I said, don't recall ever seeing a Kingston in use, just going by what the guide said at the estate. I'm still not sure DB ever made two car alike!!

1930.. If my memory serves me correctly on the Kingston, the reason for the springs between the lid and the inner canister is to stop ratteling from vibration. As you know, there is nothing mechanical holding the inner tank inside the outer tank other than friction between the two tanks and the fuel lines that also help to hold it in place. If the inner tank were to "ride up" the outer tank during normal driving and vibration from the road, the lid (even though the fittings are tight) would have play between the fittings and inner tank causing ratteling. My fittings by the way are identical to yours. Do you know where I can find an original A/C sediment bowl as the one I have is not?

The Stewart manual that I have was downloaded from a link that someone inserted in one of the threads here. I'm trying to find it. Someone was having problems with there Stewart canister and that manual was recommended. As I am not that well versed in computers, I may have to photo copy what I have and mail it to you.

I would still appreciate the info you have regarding the '29 Chrysler 65 and the Kingston.

Thanks

Dan

Hey Dan, I have been trying for two days to send you that info, finally today it tells me invalid e-mail??? The first time it told me it was too large so I just sent a little bit, just the section that covers your car and today it says undeliverable mail. Send me an E-mail at jhason2@yahoo.com so I have a forward address

I just read your post, how stupid of me!!!! Of course you are right, thanks........About springs I mean.......Yes I would like to see anything you have, send me that e-mail and we can exchange info that we have collected...............Hi. This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.

I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.

This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<1929chrylser@att.net>:

204.127.208.75 does not like recipient.

Remote host said.

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.

I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.

This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<1929chrylser@att.net>:

204.127.208.75 does not like recipient.

Remote host said

Like I said that is twice now and this is the message it sends me

My 1929 Chrysler Model 65 has the Kingston canister. The date code on the top of the canister and other dates on the car coincide. The system works very well as long as the fuel system is clean. A small piece of dirt or rust can hold open the tank valve and cause it to run out of fuel.