1928 Buick ? What model ?

20Premier

The year is 1928. Standard Six wheelbase is 114.5 inches, Master Six 120 inches.

I think that the 1928 Buick Standard Six had two-bar bumpers, and the Master Six bumpers were three bars.

If you can lift the hood to see the engine, I believe that the Standard Six had a flat fan belt and the Master Six a Vee belt in 1928.

• Like 1

I think Mark is right this is a 1928 model 47,the car has painted head lights,(ser.50 have nickled head lights,) and also a tube between the frame in front of the car,standard models don`t have that tube. Std.114.5"wheelbase,Master 120" and 128" wheelbase.

Leif in Sweden.

If the crank goes through the lower tank of the radiator and has a seperate water distribution tube then it is a master six

The standard crank goes below the radiator and the water outlet is on the front of the cyl head also the wheelbase would be 120"

JB

22-6-55 Sport Touring

• 2 years later...
Guest Dale R Butterfield

From the photo it definitely is a 40 (120" wheel base), or 50 series (128" wheel base) car, but the engine water tube really tells you whether or not it is a master or standard engine). The engine number is on a aluminum tag on the left side of the engine toward the rear of the engine. What is the engine serial #? As one respondent said if the water tube from the top of radiator to the engine connects to the front of the engine it is a "standard" or if it connects across the top of the head in several places it's a "master" series engine. The hood looks longer than the standard 115" wheel base cars. The sun visor brackets look just like mine (1928 Country Club Coupe model 26s). The tires look bigger than the 115" cars. The pipe between the gravel shield below the radiator is found only on the 120 and 128" cars. It's most likely a model 47 or 47s (120" w.b.) or 50, 50L (limo), or 51 (128" w.b.). The tag on the firewall should be there on the right side of the car. the first two digits indicate the year with a dash followed by model #. I'm surprised the car only has a two bar front bumper as mine has a three and it's a much smaller car than this beauty. Looks like you've got a nice find. Thanks for lettin me vent. Dale.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest Gingertrumpetmaster0324

I have a running 1928 Buick 47 master 6. If anyone is interested in buying.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest gbarnhart3

I have a 1928 Buick, Model 28-20. I am in need of the sun visor brackets. Where did you find yours?

Feel free to respond to gbarnhart3@woh.rr.com

Thanks

Gary Barnhart

Huber Heights OH

========================

From the photo it definitely is a 40 (120" wheel base), or 50 series (128" wheel base) car, but the engine water tube really tells you whether or not it is a master or standard engine). The engine number is on a aluminum tag on the left side of the engine toward the rear of the engine. What is the engine serial #? As one respondent said if the water tube from the top of radiator to the engine connects to the front of the engine it is a "standard" or if it connects across the top of the head in several places it's a "master" series engine. The hood looks longer than the standard 115" wheel base cars. The sun visor brackets look just like mine (1928 Country Club Coupe model 26s). The tires look bigger than the 115" cars. The pipe between the gravel shield below the radiator is found only on the 120 and 128" cars. It's most likely a model 47 or 47s (120" w.b.) or 50, 50L (limo), or 51 (128" w.b.). The tag on the firewall should be there on the right side of the car. the first two digits indicate the year with a dash followed by model #. I'm surprised the car only has a two bar front bumper as mine has a three and it's a much smaller car than this beauty. Looks like you've got a nice find. Thanks for lettin me vent. Dale.

• 9 years later...

Did Buick even use the "Master 6" name in 1928? I have Buick literature and I don't see those terms used in those years.

To add to confusion, Buick names the three Series, 116, 121 and 129 AND they continue to use the year-model description (which I think is best), like 28-20, 28-54C, etc.

This car would be a 28-40 in the "official" Buick description but I don't see Master Six anywhere.