63 Avanti drivetrain parts

avantey

Hi all- I tore down the Avanti Thursday nite and have started looking for parts. Everything but the throwout bearing was in pretty good shape. As long as I am in it I want to do the clutch, driveshaft, etc. It shifted fine in 07 and early last year until the throwout went. It has a broken spring on it.

I got the U joints and rear seal for the 4 speed T-10 tranny at the local parts house today. They cannot source the clutch disc and are not sure on the throwout bearing. They have two numbers for factory order but don't know the difference. On factory order there is no return so I am reluctant to order without further info. One listing is for all 55-64 Stude v-8 and the other is for 62-66 Avanti.

Any help would be appreciated. Also any online sources for the clutch disc and maybe the pressure plate. I have not checked it yet and it seemed fine (no slipping, noise, etc.) but while I am in there....

Thanks- Bill

My 1970 Federal-Mogul Bower-BCA Bearing catalog says for

Studebaker Passenger & Avanti Clutch Release bearimg All (Exc Taxi) w/8 cyl 1958-64 # <span style="font-weight: bold">1752</span> (BCA Ball Bearing).

Stude8

Thank you- that matches the one listing the parts store had. Is that a complete assembly with the bushing, outer housing and spring, etc.?

They (local) listed a separate number for just the bushing (we think) but I need the whole thing to get the spring.

Thanks- Bill

The 1752 number was for bearing alone. The next paragraph in catalog lists "Release Assembly" 58-64 all 8cyl exc taxi and #<span style="font-weight: bold">1752-SC</span>

I looked for your clutch disc in my Borg-Warner 1970 catalog but they don't list Studebaker applications, they do list Studebaker T-10 4 speed gears for two Stude part #s but no clutches. Weber catalog lists Stude flywheel replacements but the number "524" is different than any other listings so must be special for one reason or another.

Stude8

I assume you have a factory parts catalog for Avanti? I see under 0201-1 Clutch Driven Plate and Facings there are two numbers.

1557169 for 4 speed and <span style="color: #000099"><span style="font-weight: bold">1563109</span></span> for 4 speed competition clutch R1, R2.

What number did the supplier look up for replacement?

Stude8

Good evening all- I went offline to bed last nite and see more posts today, thanks! I did not have or take part numbers to the parts store Sunday.

I should go check the library for the factory parts catalog; the car has been so reliable I do not remember where I put it years ago!! My father bought the car new and the original window sticker does not show a 'competition clutch'. But I thought all Avanti's were R1, R2, etc. Does that mean it is listed as a 'comp clutch'?

Thanks- Bill (taking a break to go upstairs and look for the parts book now.....:-))

OK, I found the parts book! I also noticed I still have the '55 shop manual and parts book from when I had my grandmother's President. It was to far gone to restore but I had bought the manuals before I sold the car for parts.

Stude8- I see the 0201-1 1557169 Plate with facings but not the 1563109 listing. I have a July 1962 edition of the catalog- does that make a difference?

Thanks- Bill

Bill, Yes it makes a difference, there were two editions early and late, Early had blue and red color jacket, my copy is dated December, 1963 and had a Cream and Black color jacket as I recall, it fell apart years ago and is now in a utility binder. I have owned 4 Avantis over the years so it got a lot of use.

Stude8