Wanted: Steam knowledge

Guest Orphanauto

Guest Orphanauto

I am fasinated with steam power. Can anyone give me advice or tell me where I can learn about steam power cars, tractors, ect..? I would love to meet with someone who can spend a day or some time showing me with a steam tractor or car ( stanley ect.. ) I live in south west Mo. any good books? I learn better by hands on, hence the day together idea. Would love to get a steam car, but they are so pricey, Not to many people around that know much about steam anymore, so I don't want it to die out ( the knowledge ) Any ideas? thanks...

• 1 month later...

The best way to enjoy steam is to buy a steam car and take it on a steam car tour. There are steam tours in Estes Park, CO and Saratoga, NY this year. You can link to them through the Stanley Museum web site, www.stanleymuseum.org.

If you'd like a car, I need garage space! Please see a wonderful 1924 Stanley Model 750 Touring Car at www.stanleysteameronline.com

Parts available at www.vintagesteamproducts.com.

Best wishes!

Don Hoke

post-45126-143138051503_thumb.jpg

post-45126-143138051504_thumb.jpg

post-45126-143138051506_thumb.jpg

post-45126-143138051508_thumb.jpg

post-45126-14313805151_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with 1925 Stanley. I had a steam traction engine. You are a slave to them when they are fired up. It cost $11,000 to have the crown sheet replaced in the traction engine. A new boiler for my Stanley is less than 1/2 that. I can pull the Stanley with my pickup, where it took a tractor trailer to move the traction engine. The traction engine also required an annual inspection.

• 5 years later...
Guest Harleyron74

Just joined tonight and although I'm late to the party I'll toss my 2 cents in.

The best book I have found on steam car's is Floyed Clymers Steam Car Scrapbook. I found A near mint copy at A used book store in St. Paul MN. Over 25 years ago and I still have it. I will never have enough money (unless I hit the Powerball ) to own A steam car or truck but I can get out my book and dream!

I was A steam engineer for the city of St. Paul for over 28 year's and I just retired in June 2014. Many long night's watching boiler's crank away were eased by reading for the umpteenth time the story's in Mr. Clymers book.

Mr. Clymer was not unknown to me when I found this book as I have been A fan of motorcycles for over 50 year's (my father and uncle road Harleys and Indian's for many year's) and I currently own 2 Harleys and A BMW. In fact it was his name on the spine of the book that caught my eye and when paging through it I saw the steam powered motorcycle I had to have it! My father was A welder in the Kaiser Ship Yard during WWII in Richmond CA. and he told me he saw the same steam cycle in A museum someplace around there during the war.

Enough jawing for now. I don't want to ware out my welcome. Later. Harleyron74.