Best carrier for shipping cars?

tigersdad

I have recently purchased a 1931 Cadillac that is in the Midwest and would like to get some input into who people think is the best carrier for shipping the car to California. I have used ... and don't think I'd go through that headache again.

Thanks!

Jay Kingston

Blue Highways

http://www.bluehighways.net/

Horseless Carriage

http://www.horselesscarriage.com/

Road Scholar

http://www.roadscholar.com/autohauling.html

These are all reputable carriers. All use enclosed trailers. My brother delivers cars for Road Scholar, so I can personally vouch for them. All three carriers are also very experienced with cars like your Caddliac.

A tip on getting a better deal... the more flexible you are with the pickup and delivery date, the better deal you'll get. The carriers have to coordinate loads to be profitable. That's why quotes can vary quite a bit from one carrier to another. If they'll have a truck with room passing through your area, the rate will be cheaper.

Guest adam_knox

Just a heads up, be sure to take your time checking the car before and after it shipped (especially after if you've never seen the car when first shipped). I purchased a car from Cali to get to WI. Unbeknowst to me, the shipped rid my car up against another vehicle and GAUGED the chrome on the grill. In my excitment of finally getting the car, I did not notice it, which is very notice-able. That evening when washing the car I saw it, too late to get any compesation for it. Two years later I'm still trying to find a grill bar and will never find a hood logo in mint condition ever again...Sigh...

Now I'm getting an ulcer just thinking about it again...Gotta go get some Malox...

I had a carrier ship a Chevy to me from Oregon a few years ago, sight unseen. The trucker had a check list that had been filled out in front of the seller back in Oregon. The trucker walked with me around the car with the check list in hand, pointing out every mark that he saw on the car. Everything matched and nothing new was seen.

It was a very efficient system.

Wayne

The late Harold Sharon's daughter inherited his 1911 Buick and had it shipped to her on the west coast. The car never showed up. With Harold's stature in the hobby, several west-coast HCCA members started tracking it, and eventually found it in a garage, still in the "care" of the trucker. Until threatened with the police, the shipper made no effort to help regain the car.

I ended up going with Intercity Lines. Price was $1550 and as it turned out, they had a truck going through the area on Tuesday, where the car is located. I figured if Wayne Carrini of F40 Motorsports and the television show Chasing Classic Cars uses them, they must be good. Again, thanks to all for the valuable input! It people like you that make it worth while owning a classic car!!! Genuinely, nice people!

Jay