How Do I Show My Car at a BCA National?

ol' yeller

I am considering making the trip to Colorado for the National. I have never been to one. I am somewhat familiar with the way BCA does points judging. My car, in acquiring 148,000 miles, has had some things changed from original, some for the better, some not, but still not original.

My car has a dark tint on the windows. I haven't made up my mind about whether or not I like it but pulling it off the huge rear window without damaging the functioning rear window defroster may be a problem. My car also had real ugly aftermarket wheels which I have changed out to 16" regal GS chrome wheels which I think looks real sharp. I never was much of a fan of the original Reatta wheels anyways.

It also had an amplifier and subwoofers installed in the trunk. The rest of the car is pretty much stock. I am not looking for trophies nor do I expect to win a Senior Gold from the BCA, I just would like to show the car without having the flaws I know about pointed out to me.

Is there a class I could enter that would be appropriate for my car? I do drive it almost everyday and I will be driving it to the meet. I'd hate to put it somewhere where it wouldn't be appropriate. I'd also hate to drive all that distance and not to be able to show my pride and joy. Any suggestions? Thanks!

post-31031-143138039978_thumb.jpg

Greg you have a good looking car. I would suggest that you enter your car at Colo Springs. There is several ways that you could go. I you want to enter your car in the 400 point judging there is the judging manual at Reatta.org. You would find all of the information that you would need. There is also a modified class that you could enter in. You didnt say if you join the Reatta Division, but one of the best things of the Nationals is getting to meet all of the people from around the country and just have a good time. Bring your car and plan to have a good time. You will learn a lot from other Reatta owners and meet some friends at the same time.

See ya in Colo Springs

Chuck

Your car looks great, it’s a Reatta!

As for the dark tint, If it is legal in your state and it does not bother you leave, it on it will protect your interior. If it is the wrong color, not applied right or is not legal, do not just pull it off.

First spray it down with a fine mist of water, cover it up with a light plastic sheet. Cheap thin trash bags work well. Let it set for a while to allow the tint sheet to fully hydrate, it will then peel off with little difficulty.

Chuck forgot the "Display Only" catagory.

This class gets a lot of Buicks that are driven to the meet but the owner doesn't want to clean them after the trip or already knows the car is not a winner...just a nice Buick owned by someone that appreciates the car.

Doing the 400 point judging is somewhat enlightning. Unfortunately, the judges don't know what you already know so they will list everything, it is interesting to see what they catch and miss.

You could also sign up to judge. Because of the number of Reattas we always have, we always have 2 or more judging teams. If we have people that have never judged, they are placed with experianced judges/team and they will help you.

Even before you start, there is a judging class that all judges must attend because there is often small changes from year to year and a judges breakfast the morning of judging.

Helping with the judging is part of the Buick national meet experiance, you meet others that know there Reattas and some even know too much.

I think Display Only may be the way to go. I wasn't aware there was this option at a National. One of my many character flaws is pride. I am too in love with my collector cars to see any flaws. Having them pointed out by a judge may too damaging to my ego and may color negatively my experience at the National. I'm not saying it is rational. After 55 years of wearing down this earth, I have come to terms with my own shortcomings (maybe!!).

I also own a simply gorgeous '65 Skylark that I restored about 9 years ago. It is driven often and I did make some modifications to it to make it more enjoyable to me, disc brakes, anti sway bars, radial tires, tinted glass, quick ratio steering, etc. In my eyes it is a perfect car. When I applied an objective eye towards it using the BCA 400 point judging manual there were so many points deductions that I couldn't see the point of even showing the car.

None of my cars could compete in a modified class as they are mostly originals with only some minor modifications.

I understand why the BCA uses 400 point judging and if I were into 100% correct cars, having one judged correctly would show me what was needed to bring it up to a senior gold status but my desire isn't in that direction. Trophys or awards are not why I have old cars. I love going to a show, leaning against my car and talking Buick with anyone who happens by. That, to me, is the essense of going to a show. Walking around and chatting with owners of interesting cars to me is the second best part. My Skylark has won its share of awards but they are all stuck away in a drawer or closet.

At a National are the like cars typically displayed together (IE Reattas all in the same place) or are they grouped by class (Display Only all together)?

For the record, I am a member of the Rdiv, the BCA and my local BCA Chapter serving as past Newsletter Editor, Chapter Director and now as a Board member.

To me the only value in having a "senior gold" is for resale (or possibly bragging rights but most people will not know what you are talking about) and has nothing to do with the car being a car.

I do not think I have had a "stock" car for more than the time to drive it home, to me they are personal hand have yet to see one that was perfect when it came off the line.

My judging days stopped when I got sick of picking apart nice cars (BJ would hate to have me examine one e.g. "in '70 the plug wires were embossed and not silkscreened" or "this is an October 71 car and the "Fasten Seat Belt" warning did not appear until Jan 72)" - the owner got really mad about that one) and found that few were judging to the level I was.

Technacally the show field layout is in the hands of the hosting Chapter, however there are guidelines and normally Display cars are put with the cars to be judged (by class) so a Reatta would be with other Reattas.

The difference is the window card. It is a different color and indicates for display, that helps when judging, so that the judges can tell immediately that it is for display.

I can only speak for my self, but to me the Nationals are a social event. I enjoy seeing all of the cars and meeting all of the people. We always have a great time, there is always more to do than time to do it in. It seems to me that we travel to places that we normally would not go to if it was not for the car clubs. I had never been to Seattle and we went and didnt take a car and it was a great time. Barney is right enter your car in what ever class that you want to, the goal is to see everybodys cars and share the good times. There is lots of stuff to do in Colo and it will be fun.

Chuck

Greg,

Judging is something like birthday gifts - "It is better to give than to receive". I judge for two marques and it is a difficult job to "dissect" someone's pride and joy for what often comes down to minute details. I'm much more in favor of a multiple level system that offers a delineation between "garage queens" and those that are driven regularly - keeping up the intent of why the Reatta was built in the first place: to drive! In any event, I think the suggestion of a "display only" category would be great for you. I don't think the modified class applies here - Barney would have better information. If this is your first National, you can still show and learn of the judging process, without all the heartburn that can go along with it. But, I agree with Chuck, the BCA in general is a friendly group, but the Reatta Division is exceptionally friendly! Come for the enjoyment. See you in Colorado.

John Forrette

BCA 26531

RDiv 1

Regarding taking the tint off. This is something that I have heard, but it makes sense. When tinting was applied to my home windows, we were instructed to only use water to wash it and not Windex. I think someone here said that Windex is great for removing tint. It might be worth a try in an inconspicuous place.

Tom T

Guest Reatta1

To the best of my knowledge the only class that would be restricted to you for the Reatta besides the age or 'era' classes would be the 'driven' class. Your Reatta isn't old enough. I showed mine in the 400 point in Seattle but will put it in the 'display' category in Colorado. I have not had the time or ability to correct the things that got point deductions in Seattle so no point in getting it judged again this time. I'm with Booreata on the subject of being there for the fun and freindships that develop at these meets. You get the opportunity to put faces with the names you see here. It's great and I for one am looking forward to it.

Guest Kitskaboodle

My two cents.....

I dont and I wont get intimidated over who the judges are,

what kind of cars are there or how many awards, plaques, pictures,car show buttons someone may stack up in front of

their car.

What matters to me is personal pride in my machine, talking to

and learning from other people at the show and of course having fun!

Personally, I think you're cheating yourself if you do the "Display Only" thing. It's better to have your car critiqued so that you learn for the next show what you need to do beforehand. You want your car to stand out dont you? You want a few compliments dont you? You might not get this advice if you dont enter. Hey...you gotta start somewhere.

Get out there sir in the thick of it!

I'm sure many would gladly share their car prepping hints and tricks.

Lastly, I have found out that 90% of car show success is making sure your car is clean, clean, clean!!!!

Did I mention you should clean your car?

You would be amazed at the compliments you will get just from paying attention to the details.

Want proof??

Go to any car show and see how many cars have sooty exhaust tips, leaves/debris in the front cowl vent screen area, dirty car door hinge areas, dirty seatbelts, etc....

OK...I'm done ramblin.....:)

Kit 90 Reatta / 85 Fiero GT / 86 Fiero GT

Guest Reatta1

I would agree that if you want your car critiqued so you know what you need to do to improve it, get it judged in the 400 point category. For myself, I did that in Seattle and know what I need to do. I haven't done any of it yet, so, no point in rehashing the same faults. I got a Bronze in Seattle and I know I'm not going to get a Silver in Colorado without making the fixes so I don't see any reason to do that. I'll still have as much fun with it in the 'display only' category and I can spend more time visiting with old friends and making new ones. And the Reattaphiles I met in Seattle will still give me tips for improving my car. smile.gif

I'm not looking to win any awards. I don't think my car rises to that level. That is not to put down those of you who are into 400 point cars. My car has seen too many miles to go to that status. I just want my fellow Reatta brothers and sisters to see my car, exchange information and drool over pristine examples of Reattae as well as other Buicks. If you feel inclined to praise or complement my car, that is worth more than any award to me. My purpose of this post was to figure out how I can do that at the National. It appears that the Display Only class is the way to go. Driven Class is probably closer to what my car is but if the BCA sets the age of the cars for that class, Oh well.

As for cleanliness, you have hit on one of my pet peeves. I will be driving the car around 1,500 miles to get there but I will be cleaning it up prior to showing it. As long as we are talking about cleanliness, why don't people clean their cars before they try to sell them? Every time I am looking for a used car I pass on countless filthy cars that some lazy person can't even be bothered to vacuum out or wash the dirt off. I figure if they can't keep up with the maintenence that shows, they probably haven't kept up with the maintenence that doesn't show. I trust the Host committee will have a place to wash up the cars at the National prior to showing them.

OTOH a good detail shop can hide a lot of things. If the air cleaner box is shiney but the alternator is rough I get concerned. Would really rather look at a car that is clean but not recently professionally detailed.

Padgett you make a good point about cars that have been professionally detailed. What I find to be the rule rather than the exception are cars for sale that haven't even been washed or vacuumed. You don't need to be a detailer to do that! Oh, and they want typically want what used car lots are asking for their retail price.

Guest Lisa Courtney

Hi Chuck,

I just purchased an 88 Reatta and wanted to show you the car maybe you would like to share the pictures. This car only has 30,855 miles on it. It is in excellent shape. I just love it. I took it yesterday and had the engine flushed, transmission flushed all fluids checked and filled cause I didn't have any records about the car.Had new tires put on it I am sure this is the second set ever on the car. It looked like someone tried to hand paint some pin stripes I am gonna try to get that off. It is over the clearcoat so I am hoping it will come off or I will have to get someone to to do it right. It has been garage kept obviously. The guy I purchased it from bought it in 1989 from an elderly lady that had it for 1 yr and said it was a little to much for her it only had 7,000 miles on it when he got it. The car fax on it is 57 perfect score. I only paid 3,500.00 for it. He had it on ebay and used a different picture of the car not the actual car itself and he had 0 feedback so I am thinking everyone thought it was a fraud sale. I was the only on bidding on it. I surely got my monies worth for sure.

Anyway, thanks for your time I just thought you may appriciate knowing about this one since there were so few made.

Thanks,

Lisa

Guest Lisa Courtney

I don't understand I thought the Reatta were only made from 88-91 ? Do you just have to show in the Reatta Division or can you show in both BCA and Reatta Division.