Documentation

58tripower348

I am looking to obtain some documentation on my car, I have a 1958 Chevy Impala. I would like to verify that the options are authentic. I have found another 58 Impala with an AACA Document that lists how the car was produced, how do I get one on my car? What information do I need to give to make this happen? Thanks for any help!!

The seller could be less than honest, or the seller may be confused, or the seller may have mistyped what he or she was attempting to say...

Maybe the seller has some documentation about 1958 Chevrolets that was obtained from the AACA Library...

But what you have to remember is that any seller can type whatever he or she wants to type in his/her auction description. Just because you read in in an Ebay auction listing does not make it true....

I am sure that you will have a response from Steve tomorrow that explains that there is no such document as described in that auction listing.

I just got a response from the owner of that car when i asked him how he got the documents. he wrote

"it came with the car. You have to be a member of AACA and have your car registered. They also own a Musuem in PA. I have bought at least 3 of their cars from them at the Carlisle Auctions in the Spring and Fall."

Maybe that will help... doesnt really help me tho...

Well it sounds to me like somebody who bought something that he really did not know much about. I'm tempted to say it sounds like a case of "More Dollars than Sense", but I guess we should wait and see what Steve has to say.

I'm about 98% sure that there is no way to get factory documentation on your car unless that documentation was passed along with the car from when it was new. There are no factory records stored away somewhere (like with 60s fords and pontiacs) that you can get.

Yeah I think so too. I still would like to be able to find these documents but I dont think I ever will. Its to bad that the previous owners didnt hang on to the original paperwork and passed it on, but what can ya do! Maybe there is some hope somewhere out there... anyone... haha!

58, when the original owner bought the car, he probably never thought of keeping any history on the vehicle. My father bought a lot of new cars over the year, but most if not all literature associated with them is gone.

I guess we're going through the same thing with our young people in this throw away age. frown.gif

Wayne

There is no factory documentation on these cars. Other than determining if it was an eight or six cylinder, not much else can be done. There are certain items that pertain just to the 348, but most restorers know this. Steve mentioned the the VCCA in his post. The VCCA (Vintage Chevrolet Club of America) offers all of our members access to the tech advisors who help members with questions of authenticty. I think it would be well worth a membership for the help, let alone a great monthly magazine! But we do not authenticate cars. I am one of the tech advisors just so happens to be for the 348 engines. I checked the link,and sorry to say there were no four speeds installed in the 1958 passenger cars. There is not one part in any Chevy parts books listing any application for a four speed passenger car in 1958, NONE. He also forgot to mention in his auction that Chevrolet did not offer fender skirts in 1958. I have found in this hobby if people lie about the car enough they think it will become true. There is also a story that the four speed could have been dealer installed, also no paperwork as far as a TSB has never surfaced.

www.VCCA.org

John Mahoney

VCCA National Vice President

That sheds a little more light on the subject. The museum has sold a few cars at Carlisle auctions that were donated to them for the express purpose of raising money or other cars that they could not keep in the collection. What probably went with those cars is any information sheets that they had on the car and were supplied by the previous owner or information that the curator gleaned from books. The data was likely on AACA Museum stationary but is not a part of any service we offer.

The museum is a separate legal entity from AACA but naturally one of our "family."