Hershey - How well did the cars sell at the car corral?

Fred Zwicker

shocked.gif I walked the car corral Wednesday night, Thursday afternoon and Friday night and it seemed as if a lot of the cars were still not sold. Maybe everyone was waiting for bargain day on Saturday. Any idea of how sales were this year, in view of our financial crisis? Some say antique/classic cars will be better than money in the bank, but others say not so. Any ideas on this?

Fred

I bought one. In fact, I noticed quite a few SOLD signs on vehicles.

I got a cute little Bug, not the one in the picture, but the same color!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob Kinker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought one. In fact, I noticed quite a few SOLD signs on vehicles.

I got a cute little Bug, not the one in the picture, but the same color! </div></div>

Bob, if you got that light blue '67 that was in the car corral, I am very envious! It's a beauty! Have fun with it!

Two observations: A 68 Olds Cutlass S cvt. in the corral, a true #1 car, sold for a little over $30K, good for a non-muscle car version of a Cutlass.

Dragone out of Bridgeport sold two nice Pearce Arrow Phaetons - I think one in the 150K range, other around 140K.

Sold signs in both the fields and the corral.

So quality cars seem to be selling.

Model As continue to mysteriously double in value at Hershey...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob Kinker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's the one, I'll pick it up Saturday! </div></div>

It's home now. The little bugger runs great, plenty of power, and looks great. here it is ready to leave my trailer.

Looks positively gorgeous Bob. I didn't notice the air intake vent trim when I saw it--neat detail. I can also see you have a very nice-looking '67-only rear bumper, proper back-up lights, etc. Overall the car really looks fantastic--congrats once again.

Having put about 60,000 miles on my '68 Bug over the past 10 or so years--which is pretty much the exact mechanical equivalent of your '67, I can vouch for what a wonderful driving car they are--definitely one of the best eras for Beetles, IMHO--and '67 specifically being one of the all-time most desirable model years.

Presumably you are driving on radial tires? I've driven my '68 on both bias and radials, and I think the radials give a more secure road feeling. Though I am also presently re-doing another set of stock Bug wheels, that'll be properly two-toned (just like yours--the '68s and '69s had the same wheel paint scheme, although they were 4-bolt), and which are planned to get a set of bias-ply blackwalls.

Anyway, I'm really happy for you--have fun with your beautiful VW.

Hi again Bob and everyone,

I stumbled across another nice collection of Hershey '08 photos here:

http://www.motivemagazine.com/gallery/gallery.html?c=show_album;p=Events/Vintage%20and%20Concours/AACA%20National%20Meet/2008

(hope that mega-link works...if not, you might have to try copying & pasting it into your browser's address window...)

Among the "Car Corral and Vendors" section, Bob, I found a nice shot of your '67 VW (go to page 3, bottom row)...

There's even a shot of our HPOF Pinto in the "Show" section...

• 2 months later...