1929 Franklin 135 sedan...where is it?

keiser31

When I was a kid (16 years old in 1968), I found a 1929 Franklin series 135, 6-wire wheeled sedan in an area around Washington, Michigan. I saw this giant car in a field with a tarp over it. I brought the big, old lumbering beast home for $100.00. The farmer wanted $90.00, but I gave him an extra $10.00 for helping me get it out of the mud. It was a VERY solid, complete original with a broken front bumper bracket and one small rust hole in the passenger side cowl at the bottom near the hood. I had it for a couple of years, but worked on my other car (1931 Dodge Brothers coupe') and not that Franklin. I moved to California and my dad sold the car to a guy from Texas (or so he told me....he was not always completely true to fact). Years later (early 1980s), I saw what I was certain was that car at the big three swap meet in San Diego at the stadium. The guy who was selling it said he was from L.A. and had gotten it from a guy in Texas, who got it from a guy in Michigan. I was just wondering if any of you Franklin guys own it or know what happened to it!? The car was black with the cloth striped seats in pretty good shape. It had these huge headlights with the lenses that protrude way out. I had gone to Hershey one year and found an N.O.S. grille shell for $35.00 which probably went with the car when my dad sold it. I still have this hubcap from it. Thanks. John

post-37352-143138036871_thumb.jpg

Steve...Unfortunately at that age, I was a dreamer and thought I would be able to keep all of my cars, but my dad sold most of them. I didn't keep records of the serial numbers. I thought that maybe by my description, someone might recall seeing or buying one like it in that condition.

Unfortunately for you, there is a huge population of Franklins in southern California due to very strong sales from Ralph Hamlin, the Franklin distributor in LA, so it may be hard to track down this particular car. Fortunately for you, there are many people in southern California that have been Franklin enthusiasts for many years. Hopefully, one of them will read this and recall your car.

• 3 years later...
Guest myold88
1929 was Franklin's biggest production year with over 14,000 cars produced. If you know what the serial number is, the HH Franklin Club has a register of cars.

I'm updating this thread as I also tried to locate a 1929 Franklin Victoria Brougham that I sold back in 1976. After buying the car in 1974 on Long Beach N.Y. for $300.00 (barn find), I proceeded to restore the car. I then sold it in 1976 (for about $8,000.00- ah the good old days), but the car seemed to vanish. I contacted the H.H. Franklin Club a few years ago but I was still listed as the last owner of vin # 35-192554-L21.

Anyone have any idea where this restored to original green Victoria Brougham is now ? If anyone has any info I have a lot of history on this car that I can pass on.

John,

As of 2010, a Victoria Brougham, 35-192554-L21, was listed in the Franklin directory as being own by a K. Carson in New York. He is apparently not a member and no other information is listed.

Steve

John,

As of 2010, a Victoria Brougham, 35-192554-L21, was listed in the Franklin directory as being own by a K. Carson in New York. He is apparently not a member and no other information is listed.

Steve

It was a "standard" style sedan with three windows on each side and full length body.....not a "victoria" style where the body stops halfway through the rear fender.

In the 1980 Register he is listed as Keith A. Carson and in the 1973 Roster his addresss is 36 Linden Street, Garden City NY11530. In '80 he was no longer a member.

The Club, for body suffix 21, considers Victoria Brougham to be the correct name for the body style.

Gordon H.

Guest myold88
In the 1980 Register he is listed as Keith A. Carson and in the 1973 Roster his addresss is 36 Linden Street, Garden City NY11530. In '80 he was no longer a member.

The Club, for body suffix 21, considers Victoria Brougham to be the correct name for the body style.

Gordon H.

Hay guys- Like I said in my post above:

That's me, and I'm the one looking for this car, my first restoration project.

It looks like it's still a lost Franklin. Maybe out of the country. Who knows.

As I remember The Victoria Brougham is a close-coupled long w/base 5 window sedan and the body does stop mid way at the rear fenders. I never did find &/or make a trunk which fits inside the rear chassis for this car.

Edited by myold88 (see edit history)

• 3 months later...
Guest lovefranklins

Hi John,

I have a 1929 in need of three center caps. would you sell yours? Mine is a brougham, but not your car.

G Rink three one five_682_1962

Steve,

Is that picture you posted a project of yours? Sure looks nice!

I bought this Victoria Brougham about a year ago after chasing it for almost 15 years through 3 owners. It spent most of it's life in Northern Nevada which is where I found it. The interior is original and in usable condition. The last owner before me, who only owned it a couple of months, decided to sand and primer the body. I wish he hadn't.

Hi John,

I have a 1929 in need of three center caps. would you sell yours? Mine is a brougham, but not your car.

G Rink three one five_682_1962

Steve,

Is that picture you posted a project of yours? Sure looks nice!

There may be some confusion on this thread. I was the original poster looking for the six wire wheel 135 four door sedan. "Pughs" is the one who had the Victoria Brougham. Yes, "lovefranklins"...I would sell the cap if you need it. It has some splits around the outer edge. Email me at keiser31@charter.net and I will send you better photos for you to make me an offer from. John