Reading exercise

JohnD1956

Just wondering, how many here have read The Buick, A Complete History by Terry B. Dunham and Lawrence R. Gustin.

I recieved a copy back in 2003 and am still trying to finish it after all these years, but it is so striking to read their interpretation of accounts over time and to see the parallel to todays economic and GM's fiscal situation. Just getting through the 1984-85 years now.

One thing that strikes me is it seems GM moved managers around every 3 years or so. Hardly enough time to build any type of organization and iron out the kinks. Makes me wonder how much that type of management contributed to todays problems?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BUICK RACER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They still change managers like even more often than every 3 years, it's crazy. </div></div>

It makes little sense to me to constantly rock the boat like that. The few times Buick excelled and gained market strength I guess the thought process would be "lets get this guy higher up to bring everyone up." But with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, it does not look like it ever worked that way. Instead they just managed to loose the market share they enjoyed when the product took a new turn.

But the thought that started me on this thread was the line that essentially indicated that GM, in the mid 80's, was already looking and planning within to eliminate internal competition. Basically to modify the product so that each Division would develope an identity. They referred to Buicks focus as the Premium American Motorcar. I guess I just wonder how long GM and the divisions will adhere to a strategy that is iritating so many loyal enthusiasts?