Craigs list warning

Profyrfyter

FYI, this is becoming a regular occuring thing out here in California and it just happened to a co-workers nephew!

If you plan on looking at or test driving a car you find on Craigs list make sure you are meeting the person at their <span style="text-decoration: underline">house</span>! Do not meet them at a shopping center or parking lot, there are people advertising cars for sale and when people call to look at the car or test drive it they tell them to meet them somewhere other than at their house. When they get into the car for a test drive they pull out a gun and rob people of their money!

My co-workers nephew just had this happen to him last week. He met the guy in the back of a shopping center and before they headed out for a test drive the guy told him he would have to put the license plate on so they don't get pulled over. He went to the trunk and got a shotgun and demanded all of his money. My friends nephew noticed that the guy continuously racked the shotgun (cocked it) but no shells were being ejected so he figured out that the gun was unloaded. They started to fight as he tried to get away and when he finally did he ran towards another man yelling that he was being robbed..... only to get tackled by that man because he was in on it! His nephew eventually got away and is fine but I just want to give everyone a heads up that this is happening out there. Please pass this on to your friends so it doesn't happen to them too.

Dave

Guest simplyconnected

Who would bring thousands in cash to meet a perfect stranger? Not me. I will look at the car, strike an agreement, and exchange ID's, before calling my wife with the cash.

You can rob me all day long, but I NEVER carry cash. Want to meet me at the Secretary of State office? We can take care of business inside. It's better than being robbed in some stranger's house.

A little prevention goes a very long way. If this deal is legit, there should be no problem meeting in a public office. Show me a title & your driver's license, and the money will be here very shortly.

I bought a car in Missouri (I'm from Michigan) with cash, while my cousin videoed the entire transaction. That worked out well all the way around. I told my cousin, "Just keep the camera going. If anyone objects, we're out of here."

I also never ever carry cash, debit card is taken everywhere and if it isnt than I just dont get it. Another thing I like to point out is I never ever buy a car or much of anything unless I meet the person at their house. I have learned that the hard way also, if I am going to possibly be taken advantage of by someone trying to misrepresent something than I want to know where they live because pay back can be difficult for the recipient. I would never consider driving behind a store to do the deal, thats is where drug dealers or just shady people in general strike deals and I am not at all saying your coworkers nephew is shady, he is just not experienced and I am sorry that he had to learn the hard way.

Guest simplyconnected

For sure, Profyrfyter. I had a buddy who was selling a Mustang... same story, except this potential buyer pulled out a gun in the middle of the 'test drive' and told my buddy to get out. They found the car a week later, stripped (of course).

So who's fault was that? All my friend had left, was a description and a stolen car. I won't let any stranger test drive unless I'm holding their driver's license.

Any prevention measure is cheap insurance in today's arena of crooks. The problem is, they walk among us and we all look the same.

These are all good ideas, I don't think I would have ever met someone behind a store but at the same time I can honestly say I probably wouldn't have given any thought to meeting at a public place. I will definately not fall into that trap now though, and I like the idea of having someone else with you. It's more people to get over on, and more importantly you have a witness to the transaction.

• 2 months later...

If you lived in a right to carry state you could protect yourself and any innocent bystanders from people like these. If they think you are armed no crook in his right mind will mess with you. California citizens are ripe for the picking.