Taillight Topic

Reattatude

Just some pix here of my newly-polished tailight. I heard about the "toothpaste treatment" but this was easy, cheap & requires no wax to keep the shine. Tho theres some glare look at the difference in reflectivity to really notice the difference.

I used a Black Baron 3-step polishing kit - really meant for cloudy, yellow headlamp plastic, but it works on any hard plastic - I suppose if you already have some cutting/polish pads you could just get some others polish. Your 1500rpm drill is the polisher.

<span style="font-size: 23pt">BEFORE - d u l l </span>

DSCF7369.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 23pt"><span style="color: #FF0000">AFTER - Shiny! </span></span></span>

DSCF7375.jpg

Guest daveagain909

Did you have to do anything to protect the letters? I just ordered the Black Baron 3-step polishing kit, looking forward to using it just have some consern with the letters.

Does look mighty nice. Could probably use some Flight Jacket (by hand) around the letters 1st, then tape off the letters with several layers of tape (around all of the letter including the centers), then go at the rest of the lens with the Black Baron or other appropriate polish/s....

Did you get the Black Baron off of Autopia....or where please?

I got Black Baron at properautocare.com - I usually wait until they offer free shipping or a discount and then buy a few things at once. Pretty good selection and good quality auto care items.

As for the B U I C K I polished right over it, didnt seem to alter the letters, I assume they are metal/chrome because they have very light pitting - just what are they made of?

One thing the polishing revealed is the unit is not sealed well, its needing polishing INSIDE too...but dont think that can be accomplished too easy. Im much happier with the appearance than it was.

Guest Kitskaboodle

Those "BUICK" letters on the tail light are plastic.

I know because I got a little too overzealous trying

to clean them one day.

Kit / 90 Coupe

Dave,

for what it's worth I had my tail lamp letters re-chromed by 21st Century Finish in New York; they were all pitted when I got the car. They are one of a hand full of platers I found that can do work on plastic. The price tag is a bit steep - $200 total (incl. shipping back) for all 5 letters.

The results were very good, but not sure I'd do it again due to the cost. I am thinking a high metallic silver paint w/automotive clearcoat would look 98% as good, and be a lot cheaper.

Trying to find a really clean set of these off a car now is kind of tough. Every once in a while I see a nice set pop up on ebay, but most that show up are a bit rough. Not sure if Jim Finn has a clean set (or sets) available for sale, but you might ask.

KDirk

Guest daveagain909

I got Black Baron and used it on one car following instructions, then used some older 3m product I had on the other car, the one done with the 3m product was much better, It was easy to use, did it by hand without buffer, and The lense looks clearer. the 3m product is 2 bottles called plastic cleaner pn: 051131 (39017) the plastic polish is:051131 (39010). I did find the 3m product to be more abrasive and did cause a problem with the letters, which I should have taped off like I did when using th e black baron product. Overall I would get the 3m product and then get some buffing wheels to assist. I then waxed both car lenses with collinite's insulator wax no. 845 (manufactured in utica ny). to finish, This is a great product in that it leaves no white residue, and can even be put on black rubber and still leaves no residue. I have waxed my red reatta a year and a half ago and it still shines ( does not require rewaxing) athe car is left outside here in North carolina and in florida. year round, I still get comments on how great the car looks, all I do is dust ocasionally and wash when dirty.

Note I just did my black Convertible and I am getting all sorts of comments on how great it looks.