help me identify

Guest weaving

Wonderful the learning curves one is subjected to via this forum. I knew about the Thulin, but not a lot. Thanks to Leif, I know lots more now. … And about the Horch; that they did have a spitzkuhler! Now the little runabout, the Redbug. Yes lots smaller. I came across the Red Bug as an electric powered vehicle for hire in 1920s French seaside resorts for driving up and down the promenade.

Going Back a bit to photos on top of this page; the car in front of the house, third down (ei7) seems to be a cca 1913 Hupmobile, and on the previous page the photo (ei3) under the one with the motorcycle, seems to be an English bodied RCH of about the same vintage. Interesting to observe the similarities. Somehow one would think Hupp would do something quite different with the new car.

Regards

Vintman (UK)

www.svvs.org

Guest Casper Friedrich

The open car in the picture with the motorcycle is a french Voisin. These sleeve-valve engined cars were quite popular in Sweden in the 20s among racing-drivers and sportsmen. The three louvers on the side of the hood are characterics of the earlier models built up to 1928. I would say that the body is very typical for a Swedish example.

Voisin identification appears to be correct, but I would suspect that the body could more likely be Voisin. I had a very early one which had cantilever rear springs (which changed to semi-elliptics very early); and the very neat open body had Voisin's own body identification plates on it. It had been a 4cyl just under 4 litres, but someone had tried to fit a six litre 6cyl cuff-valve Peugeot engine and Minerva gearbox.

(The Minerva box is in Des Dillon's special which is otherwise all Hispano Suiza but with a V8 Hispano aero engine. I now have enough to rebuild a cuff-valve Peugeot.) The first car is definitely Roamer. The detail of the photo is poor, but the bonnet (engine hood) is correct detail; and the wheels appear to be Hayes though it is hard to distinguish the rounded covers where the six drive pins of the hub engage in the wheel centre. If it was very early, ie 1917 or 18, you would be able to distinguish the Houk wheels more clearly. It is not possible to distinguish the two big removeable covers though which you grease the centre and front attachement points of the double cantilever rear springs, which date from about 1921 on the shorter of two chassis lengths. They continued semi-elliptic rea springs on all the longer chassis. And drum headlights probably date from 1921 or 22. And the wheels look bigger in proportion than 23 inch compared to wheel centre size. It is never possible to tell from a car photo whether a Roamer has a Continental engine (9N), a Rutenber (which should more appropriately spelled Rottenber), or a walking beam 4cylinder Duesenberg. (I have chassis frame and other remains of a 1917 Roamer which was abandoned by travellers in far west Victoria on a farm when the engine died. It has the same engine mounts as Australian Six, which built some hundreds of assembled cars using these same engines apparently priced economically as a job lot.

Ivan Saxton