Airflow history and trivia

Guest 34ACD

I am a docent at the Towe Auto Museum and regularly write short articles for our docent newsletter on one of the 170 cars on display. We currently have two Chrysler Airflows, an unrestored 1935 4-door and restored 1936 two door in the museum. While I have a general knowledge of these landmark vehicles, I'm looking for more detailed information and especially, interesting Airflow trivia that our docents can relate to our visitors who have a particular interest in these cars.

We strive for historic accuracy, but if a particular legend, story or bit of trivia cannot be documented as is often the case with the history of the automotive industry, we try to qualify it as such. If anyone can help or point me to a good source for research, It would be much appreciated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JohnArthurSpinks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could you please advise what model 1936 Airflow 2 Door.

Is it a C9 or C10???.

Regards

John Spinks

Aussie Airflow Coupe </div></div>

I believe it is a C9 (it has a fairly short rear window) but I will try to find out for sure for you. The car is owned by one of our Board members who is out of town for the holidays. Still looking for help on research. I am trying to find an article on airflows in Volume 38, No3 of Automobile Quarterly that I heard about.

Here is a photo of the 2-door:

DSCN0537.jpg

Interestingly, my Chrysler book shows the C9 and C10 with a vertical metal bar in the rear side windows. Nowhere does it show a coupe without the bar. The 8 cylinder cars were C9s and the 8 cylinder Imperial cars were C10s.

post-37352-143138030889_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138030892_thumb.jpg

Guest JohnArthurSpinks

The blue Airflow Coupe appears to be a C9 and a divider should be fitted between the fixed rear side window and the opening rear side quarter vent window.

Incidentally does this Coupe belong to or did it belong to David Felderstein?

Regards.

John Spinks

Yes, David Felderstein is on our Board and this is his car. I have no information on the rear side window but I will ask him.

Guest imported_Bill-W

Not quite on topic, but is that green car behind the blue Airflow a Reo or Graham? Have a soft spot for these cars as my father's 1936 Graham Supercharger was the first car I rode in - from the hospital after I was born.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill-W</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Not quite on topic, but is that green car behind the blue Airflow a Reo or Graham? Have a soft spot for these cars as my father's 1936 Graham Supercharger was the first car I rode in - from the hospital after I was born.

Bill

Vancouver, BC</div></div>

Good eye, Bill. I'm not sure I could have picked that out from the limited view in that photo and I am a docent at the museum.

It is indeed a 1936 supercharged Graham sedan. Nice ride for your first car trip-- mine was a 1941 Hudson. We have one of those too-- big, ugly, potato of a car.