North Texas triumvirate rescues another one...

Pete Phillips

Yesterday, Roy Faries, David Corbin, and I rescued another one, and it followed me home. 1948 Roadmaster 4-dr. sedan, found in a woman's backyard in Fort Worth, where it had been sleeping for several years. Prior to that, it was in the Pate Museum of Transportation's storage barns, so is reasonably well preserved. The last few years in the backyard have not helped the interior or the paint on the roof, but the car is as solid as can be, not even any floor rust, just some surface rust on roof and below trunk lid. 3-speed stick shift, which is somewhat rare on a '48 top-of-the-line Buick.

We jacked it up, aired up the tires, and I used a come-along to pull it onto my trailer. I think the 81,000 miles showing is correct. The best part is the yards and yards of correct, LeBaron-Bonney upholstery material, Bedford cord, leather, windlace, and headliner felt that came with the car, plus lots of rubber parts and other soft trim that she had collected from Bob's Automobilia, and a full set of 1948 manuals. According to Terry Dunham's "Buick Research Services" analysis (which also came with the car), it is a very early 1948, being about the 25th one built. It does not run yet, but engine turns over by hand, and everything underneath the valve cover is immaculate--not a speck of sludge. This old 320 is going to run nicely when I get it going.

I will try to attach a photo or two.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman, Texas

post-33059-143138026941_thumb.jpg

post-33059-143138026961_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DaveCorbin

Pete forgot to mention that the car also came with a complete set of new wiring harnesses.

He's now gotten it started momentarily, so we know it runs.

Regards, Dave Corbin

PS: Them thesauerses things are for old engineers like me. Pete's background is such that it's not required.

PS2: I've got a couple more spotted.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Pete, I have always wanted to see what a 48 would look like painted the way yours is, except with a black roof. Just for giggles, before you put a final paint job on yours, try painting your roof with a black primer and leaving the rest as it is with the grey and black. I think it would really make the sweep fenders stand out and make the car look similar to a Rolls Royce. If you do, post a picture please.

• 2 weeks later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Phillips</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We jacked it up, aired up the tires, and I used a come-along to pull it onto my trailer. Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman, Texas </div></div>

This post makes me feel good. I felt like I was behind the times because I use a come-along to winch cars onto my trailer. If an "old school" come-a-long is good enough for Pete, then its good enough for me! smile.gif

Nice find. I love stories and pics of this nature. It looks like an exciting project. Going to retrieve an old neglected car is definitely worth taking photos and is almost as fun as driving the car when its completed.

Guest imported_Thriller

I've pulled a few cars onto trailers using a come-along (when a tractor wasn't handy)...after getting the enclosed trailer though, I figured I may as well live in the land of luxury and get the bad boy electric winch...it isn't always perfect, but it sure makes it easier to load a car, especially if you are by yourself.

• 3 weeks later...

After a few months of work, another great old Buick Roadmaster hit the road again this afternoon, for the first time in about 15-20 years. After a new battery, new fan belt & hoses, new water pump, new voltage regulator, rebuild job on the generator, fuel system cleaned out, new rubber fuel line, complete brake system rebuild, and repairing a small dent on the RR fender, I decided to try and drive the '48 Roadmaster to the local gas station for some badly needed fresh gas.

It was high drama, to say the least. The brakes worked as it rolled down the incline from my garage. A nearby street has maybe a 2-3% incline, and the car coughed and sputtered so badly that it would barely get out of its own way. I had to down-shift back to first gear to get up the slight incline. The next blocks were downhill, so I left it in second gear and let it stay there for 1/2 mile down the hill. I left it running while I put some fresh gas in the tank, and dreaded the rather steep climb up the hill from a dead stop after I left the gas station. It sputtered once, and when I shifted to second, the old 320 came alive and climbed the hill like it was flat ground, gaining speed all the way to the top! The more I drove the car, the better it ran. What a great old highway cruiser this must be. I don't dare try any highways until I replace the rotted old tires, but this old '48 is happy to be back among the living.

Will try to attach some photos taken today outdoors.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

1948 model 71

1949 model 59

1950 model 76-R

1963 Wildcat conv. 4-spd.

post-33059-143138048774_thumb.jpg

post-33059-143138048774_thumb.jpg

Glad to see another nice old Buick up and about Pete. grin.gif Is that the way they were painted from the factory? Looks like a cool ride. cool.gif

May the wind be always at your back, and gas always be in your tank. laugh.gif Dandy Dave!

Pete:

Good luck with your great save - I saw that car many, many years ago in the Pate Museum Barn (started going to the old Pate Swap Meet around 1977-79 or so. At that time Aggie Pate was still very involved in the hobby and his collection included ships, planes, and trains as well as automotive - a very knowledgeble gentleman. My swap meet space was at the top of the hill, in front of the corral, and a good sale sometimes also got a "Horse-laugh".

We love driving our Buicks -- hope to see yours on tour,

• 2 weeks later...