Hello everyone! New Here, Transmission ID help.

jwolf19

I am new member that was referred to you guys from classiccar.com.

I have an old cast iron tranmsission and bell housing I cannot ID.

I've been to many sites and it doesn't match any I have seen.

The main housing has a 3 and GM under it. Under that is is 59615 and then perpendicular to those numbers it says 0239.

The shift cover has 4 bolts and says 3686832 GM.

The input shaft has 10 splines and no grooves. It says 591620 on it. It looks like the output shaft has 17 splines but still has the yoke attached with a u-joint.

Here is a picture. Check my photobucket for more.

http://s498.photobucket.com/albums/rr343/jwolf19/

Thanks for any help!

Jeremy

Guest Bob Call

JW

I don't see any comment by Jim.

Anyway looking at the bellhousing, and if the trans matches the bellhousing, I can't tell for sure from the pictures, it is a Chevy 6 cylinder pickup late 40' thru early 50's. The Chevy passenger car went to this bellousing/trans bolt pattern in 55. I don't think it is a 55 or later passenger car because of the tail shaft. This tailshaft looks like it mates to a torque tube and the Chevy pickups had torque tubes through the first series 55's which were acutally carryover 54's.

Guest Bob Call

JW

FB is correct, 4 speeds of this age had top mounted shift lever and had a very low first gear that was called "granny gear". I'm sure there is a "model" number of some kind but I never heard it. Just a Chevy pickup 3 speed.

Thanks to everyone for the help! Now that I know what it is I cannot use this trans.

If anyone wants it let me know. Also if anyone wants it, one bolt is broken on the dogear mounting tab. It would have to be drilled out.

I live in Chicago. Give me an offer if interested.

Jeremy