Ross steering box

Guest xjn001

I belive the Duesenberg J uses the ross steering box, the tubes from the control levers on the steering wheel exit the end of the box,. Are there other car makes that use such a box?I think the 31-33 Pierce Arrow has the same tubes? Are there other brand boxes used on other cars that have the control levers as the Duesenberg? Thanks

Most Studebakers from 1928 thru 31 used steering colunm center lever shafts passing through the Ross gear boxes. Usually Spark Advance; Manual Throttle and Light switch control. Photo is a 1930 President 8 compartment, note metal rods to distributor and accelorater linkage. STude8

post-31139-143138027024_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

There are three distint but similar Ross steering boxes. The basic "cam and lever" type as used, for instance by AA and BB Stutz had a flat-ended taper section which engaged a flat-bottom thread worm on the shaft to the steering wheel. Too often thes develope a flat spot on one side of the taper, which causes lost movement in the steering at some point. A far better engineering job was the roller type, where the pin was not a fixed part of the lever arm, but mounted to it with a pair of small taper roller bearings so it was less prone to flat spots and lost movement. Naturally more expensive cars used these. I can give you a list of cars for each type, but it would help to know the purpose of the question. The third later type had two taper sections on the lever arm which engage different turns of the thread at the same time, and are supposedly better with respect to free play. It may be significant that Stutz changed to Gemmer for M series and later models. Ivan Saxton

• 3 years later...

The 1927 Henny Limo that I am doing work on has 3 levers on the center of the steering column along with a 4th tube that hold the indicator ringplate from turning. All 4 of these tubes go down inside yet another outside tube.

I have made a new center plate and all 3 lever sections for it. Might this be a Ross??

Guest stude8

Just in case it helps anyone here are several pages from an older Antique Studebaker Review club publication on how to disassemble and repair the steering column center lever action system on 1929-30 Studebakers.

Stude8

post-31139-143138877319_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138877323_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138877327_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138877331_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Guest fordy

Hupmobile went to Ross steering in 1924 with the last of the Model R series, prior to that it was Jacox. Not sure if they kept on using them with the A model but I suspect they did.

• 5 years later...

I have been looking for a steering box for a 1932 reo flying cloud for some time now. My '33 Franklin Olympic uses the same type and I need some parts. The roller type pin has, I believe, 36 tapered roller bearing and about half of my bearings have flat sides. I have alternated the good and bad ones and the steering improved a little but that is only a temp fix. Timken bad the bearing but have had no luck cross referencing. I know many other auto makes used the same type box but not sure if the same bearings are used. I am ready to take a chance and purchase a Ross box, if I can find one, and take my chances. If nothing else it will add one more chapter to my learning.

Thanks, vtnorth  

I put a 1929 Franklin 130 Ross box (very similar to 1929/1930 Auburn) in our 1930 Franklin 147 to replace its original Gemmar Box (that I had spent umpteen hours repeatedly restoring/rebuilding)  - it was like night and day difference, especially in that you did not have to turn the steering wheel both ways around corners (ie. it returned effortlessly).  I had read in the factory dealer bulletins about how the Ross boxes were preferred at the factory for their cars used to pick-up supplies for the plant.  And, then I drove a 1931 151 Pursuit with a Ross unit (perhaps the most "driven" car the club) and there was no going back.  

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

• 8 months later...

Sorry guys, I have not stayed plugged in here. I have gone on to other things and my Olympic stays in the barn, undriven.

Thank you "29 Franklin" and John Mereness. I will call the Maine number, and John, if only I could steer the Olympic as easy as my 10B....

thank you for your response.