1964 Buick Wildcat, 2 door, Super Wildcat engine, 4 speed info

Rik26675

Long story short story, my brother inlaw passed away and left us this car. It orginally belonged to his best friend who died in the 1960s. His friends parents then gave him the car. I have an original bill of sale, it lists: Super turbine, high performance engine, spring option 1b among other info. Engine was rebuilt about three years ago (radiator re-cored also). It has a 425 cubic inch engine with dual quads ( two four barrel carbs) and chrome air cleaner cover. It ran about a year ago, but has not been started since. The exterior is a little rough, my brother in laws idea of keeping up the paint was to use primer. The dash is original with the original radio and center console 4 speed. the interior is fair, the drivers bucket has a tear and needs new foam. So my question is this a rare car? if so what is a fair sales price? The car still has the original California plates. Thanks for any help. Richard (rmonfils@msn.com) cl326675.JPG64 Buick Wildcat (photos)

Guest windjamer

You could part it out and get more than 12oo out of the tack. consol and wheel!!! I have looked for years for a tack and not found one in good condition for less than $400-$500.The consol in good cond will bring 200 -300.Then again guess Im dumb. I would clean it up, have a decent economy paint job done and drive it with pride. Its a real nice gift.

Windjammer, you're probably right. I'm living in another time. If the rally wheels and caps aren't with the car, the caps would be difficult to find. That said, if I were not 70 y.o. now, it's a car that would interest me. I think I even have a good RH front fender for that car...looks the same anyway. But, these are difficult times too. Also, in my experience, you can sell a car in California for twice what it will bring on the East Coast. I gave $800 for my 71 Riviera 8 years ago which was in somewhat better shape than the description. As for the parts, there is no question that you can break up any car, and the sum of the parts will far outweigh the value of the car as a whole. This car really shouldn't be broken up....it's a great chance for someone with less threshold for a large onetime expense, but with a longtime future, to get into the hobby with a car that will become more desireable over the next thirty years as they go by. If this hobby is going to survive, younger people must be able to enter it at a threshold they can afford. You're looking at 20-30 thousand to build a first prize car that would be worth $18,000 finished today.

From what I have read on the BCA, any full size 60s Buick with the super Wildcat engine and a four speed is very rare, plus it appears to be in nice California car shape. If you have not already done so I would post your note on the Buick part of this forum. There are many people there who can answer your questions. If it were my car I would at least try to get it running to see what its overall condition is before trying to sell it. Another $.02.

Some really great comments. Thank you all. Yes this is a real car, Engine No 6K102 7125. I would love to keep the car as a daily driver, the brakes and engine have been rebuilt but I am not into restorations. I love motors and wheels but at this point in my life would rather spend the time in the seat of my Roadking smile.gif

keep it

it is an EXTREMELY rare car and very desirable

looks like an VERY clean and straight car

$3000 sounds like an insult to me ....

I would drive it the way it is and perhaps get it painted in the future, IF it has been running all along and used there is no reason IN MY MIND to "restore" it, keep it maintained and MAYBE get a paint job, but don't go crazy

The reason I questioned the authenticity is because these full size manual transmission Buick Olds, - basically all makes - they are among the highest sought after post war cars, and are among the rarest.

It is "rare" to find a seller who does not know what they have with these kind of cars. It's kind of like a Camaro owner getting on the forum and asking if COPO means anything on his build sheet, and stating he was offered $1000 for the car and it seemed like a good offer. Or a Shelby Mustang owner asking for advise on how much to sell their Grandma's car for.

Most folks with dual quad 4 speed Wildcats know what they have. An ebay auction could send this car into the high teen, such as $17,500 or higher.

Bryan, again thanks for the thought. But I must be the only one that didn't know, not being a "car guy". When I was researching on the web last night to list the car I asked the wife (her brothers car) if she was sure that the car was a 1964 as some of the pictures in personnal adds seemed different than ours. At that point she handed me the original car invoice from reynolds, Buick Inc. in Covina, CA. This site really has been a help!

Guest windjamer

Dynaflash I think you and I are in the same age bracket and that old song about the hippy thats just to frigin old was made for us.Today things cost more than we thought and for some unkown reason it takes longer to do today what we done in half the time yesterday. My 65 Skylark gs was purchesed by my wife in 68. My stepson sold it for junk in 81. My nephew found it in a farmers field in 96. It had sit in the mud for near 15 years.My wife still had an old registration, so the vin # was checked to prove it realy was her old car and I decided to bring it back to life. Thats why I say im the dummy. It took me ten years and I dont have any idea how much money ( I dont dare add it up) but the car is a senior winner and has more sentamental value than the cost of restoring it. If the motor on that 64 wildcat was rebuilt just 3 or 4 years ago then the car should run with vary little work req. Spend a few bucks for a decent paint job and let the wife have it for a sunday driver. It was after all her brothers car. She will think of him every time she slides behind the wheel.

If the car was originally a 4 speed car, it is super rare. But I question this only because the dealer invoice you posted lists the super turbine as the number one option. While the engine with 2 4 BBL carbs is known as a Super Wildcat, a Super Turbine would be an automatic transmission. But the picturers clearly show a 4 speed with the appropriate Buick console.

Maybe I'm wrong about that Super Turbine for the automatic?

PS I'd suggest keeping the car long enough to research what it really is. If it's an original 4 speed car, most serious collectors will not even notice ( or care) about that primer paint.

Guest sharkeymark

Guys I know this is off topic but when you add a post do

your images only show as urls for you and the actual image for e1 else?

• 1 month later...
Guest loadmaster

Interesting how the original invoice has no pricing for options. That wouldn't fly in this day and age. I see that power steering and power brakes are not on the invoice so this has to be a chore to drive and I'm not even mentioning the hard clutch these had.

Dual quads were pretty rare and 4 speeds even more so. From what I have seen over the last 20+ years it appears that there were more 4 speeds produced during '64 than in '63 or '65.

I had a '64 hardtop years back with the dual quads and every available option and dealer accessory Buick made available. Not a 4 speed, but I wish I had it today.

A friend of mine has had a '63 Wildcat 4 speed since new and it is like new. I remember a Chicago Buick club member that had a '63 station wagon with the 4 speed. Now, there's a rare car !

As for the value ? I sold mine, unrestored, for $ 4,500.00 twenty years ago. We used to be able to determine value using a price guide but today it depends how much money someone has to pay. People with big money, ebay and Barrett Jackson have all but destroyed this hobby. Overpriced cars have blocked future geneerations from getting involved.

If you ever establish a value, I'd like to know that price.

Good Luck !

Rich