1930 FORD AA DUMP TRUCK - FOR SALE.

Guest 4HQ

ASKED TO TRY AND SELL FOR A FRIEND. BEST OFFER.

THERE IS SOMETHING RARE ABOUT THIS BED, I'M GUESSING IT MUST BE THE WAY IT DUMPS OR THE SIZE.

CURRENT OWNER SAYS DETRIOT HAS PREVIOUSLY ASKED TO BUY IT BACK.

TYPE300.COM

post-59400-143138023511_thumb.jpg

Mathew,

E mail me please: 4HQ1@MSN.COM

The truck is in South Carolina.

I fact that Detroit wanted it back is from his heirs.

Could be bait, could be true.

Hoping someone can guide me through fact or fiction.

I fact that Detroit wanted it back is from his heirs.

Could be bait, could be true.

How many times have we heard this old song and dance?

Usually it's, "He was offered any new Cadillac off the showroom foor for it, but he knew it was worth millions, so he, wisely, turned them down."

Had a guy at work with a 38 Ford flatbed. It was the only one left on earth and worth in excess of 1 million. Harrah bugged him for years to buy it and Leno won't stop calling.

It is a nice looking truck

• 9 months later...
Guest Blhanna

I am the owner of the 1930 Ford dump truck. As far as "Detroit Wanting it Back"...That was misrepresented. When my father was alive, he had a friend who was associated with the Ford plant in Detroit. That person called and asked if my father was interested in selling the truck. This truck had been in my father's family for a very long time. He has since passed away and my sisters and myself are now the owners of this vehicle. We have been made many offers of many different amounts. We have been offered $3000.00 and we have been offered $65,000.00. We have NO idea how much it is worth. We are interested in selling the dump truck. But we can't find anyone with any "real" knowledge of its worth. Of course, just like anyone else we want as much as we can get for it, but until we know its worth, we are not willing to "give" it away. If anyone has any knowledge of this, please let me know. Or let me know who would possibly have a possible worth of this truck. I would appreciate any help in this matter.

If you want to sell it for $3,000, I would want to take a look at it. I don't need it, but would love to have it. If you have anybody willing to give you $65,000 (cash), you are wasting your time here... Sell it to that fool because he has a lot more Dollars than Sense.

If you want to sell it for $3,000, I would want to take a look at it. I don't need it, but would love to have it. If you have anybody willing to give you $65,000 (cash), you are wasting your time here... Sell it to that fool because he has a lot more Dollars than Sense.

Matt...I totally agree on the $65,000.00 part. I would be at the bank right now with a great big smile on my face if that was my truck and someone gave me that much for it.

Guest Blhanna

Trust me when I say this is not something that I know anything about. The truck is beautiful and my dad always said that it was unusual because of the dumping mechanism. While I do appreciate antique vehicles, I wish my father had sold the truck when the person did offer the $65,000. Because then, I wouldn't have to deal with people who just want to offer their idea of humor. I really just don't want the truck to sit in our shop and rot. But seeing as how there is no one out there who is seriously willing or able to help me, then I guess that will be what happens to it. Alot of people have looked at it and offered many different amounts, but because we know nothing of its worth, we don't want to sell without some serious information on it's worth. But thanks anyway for your "help".

Hello, You may be asking a question to which no real answer exists. All we old car people dream, hope and wonder. While reality is.....elusive......check for similar vehicle sales yourself. Then if you and your siblings are happy with what you see, sell for a similar amount. If you are not satisfied with what you see being offered for sale and sale prices, ask more and see if someone will come to you with a better than market offer. That is what we all hope to see when selling but in reality hardly ever do. The price is what you want and what someone wants to give. The sell is usually in the middle. If you really like and understand Model A Fords, then you will note that it would have to be a VERY SPECIAL Model A to be worth $65,000. Good luck with the sell of the dump truck or additional long term storage.

Al

Blahanna,

Glad to have you here on the forum personally so you can answer questions directly.

You would have done much better here by doing a little bit of research first, putting a few photos of the truck, here and describing what you know about it, instead of having someone else post it with obviously wrong if well intentioned comments about "Detroit wanting it back".

If you want to sell it, there is an easy way to get as much as possible. Put it on Ebay. Take lots of photos and write a good long description of everything that you know about the condition of the truck.

Post information about the Ebay auction here, on Ahooga, Fordbarn, and any other free antique car forum that you can find.

That will get you top dollar for the truck. I would have to do a lot of research to give you my idea of what it is worth. It would involve a personal inspection, knowing much more about it... how long has it been sitting, does it currently run, etc.

I know a lot about Model A Fords, but I have no significant experience with AA's.

If you want to sell it to someone who will love it like your father, this is the right place to sell it. If you just want to sell it for top dollar, Ebay is the only way to go.

Guest Blhanna

The research that I have done, consists of going to different sites on the internet and actually calling people and talking with them about what I have. The truck was cranked religiously every couple of days when my father was still living. The dump mechanism worked and everything else worked also, but after he passed away, it was too painful for any of us to immediately go into the shop and take care of any of the vehicles. I grew up going to car shows with him, so I do appreciate the way people feel about their cars. I have talked to people that would just want it for parts, who want to have everything re-done for showing, and I have talked to a man in California who uses his for advertisement for his company. Thus, this difference in what they would give me. I do not want to take advantage of someone by asking more than what it is worth, but I also do not want to be taken advantage of. We also have a 1926 Rolls Royce in pieces sitting beside this truck. He passed away before getting it "just like he wanted it". These were his passion and his daughters don't have the time to share in this passion. We only want them to be taken and loved and appreciated the way my father did. I have heard everything from, don't take less than $60,000. to you won't get over $5000. and I just really don't know what to do. I have 3 sisters to think about with the sale of the vehicles. I have already sold a 1933 Chevrolet Coupe, a 1940 Ford, and a 1924 Ford Model T. But because of the dump truck being "different", I am getting alot of different information. Thank you for your knowledge. Please understand that it is very frustrating trying to do something without knowing anything about what you are doing. The person that posted the truck for us, was originally trying to sell the Rolls Royce for us. He did not know enough about it, in my opinion, to post anything about it. Thank you again for your help in this, I hope, with the information you have given me, that I can come up with a solution to this soon.

My guess would have to be that some who feel that it is very valuable are basing that on the "rare" body style. I am assuming that AA Dump trucks had relatively low production numbers when compared to passenger cars. It appears to be a 131 1/2 inch wheelbase, rather than the 157 inch wheelbase. The other thing that makes it "rare" is that there were several different types of dump bodies, so the relatively small production numbers are split among all of the different styles.

What type of dump body does it have? Is it hydraulic, or manual? Are there any manufacturer's labels on the dump body? Ford furnished dump bodies by several different manufacturers.

Matt,

Being that the summer is over, it might be worth waiting until the Charlotte Autofair, cleaning it up, and then putting it in the swap meet asking for bids. At the end of the weekend, you sell it to the highest bidder.

If it wasn't too late for the Hershey deadline, you know it would sell if it was priced right.

Old Car Fan,

Actually, the first substantive comment that the owner posted was, "We have been offered $3000.00 and we have been offered $65,000.00. We have NO idea how much it is worth." If you read the entire thread, I think that you will see that several people have been trying to give the owner good advice. If they actually had an offer of $65,000 (and you will learn that they don't if you read all of the discussion) it would be a no-brainer to accept that offer.

I think that your comment of "shame on the rest", is out of line. If you know something about what this truck is worth, feel free to educate us all. Based on what I have seen you post so far, I do not see how you feel that you are going to be able to help from Ohio, based on this discussion and the one photo posted.

Your suggestion of contacting a local Model A Club has merit, but not every local Model A Club has someone knowledgeable about AA Trucks. So far, on this site, I am the closest thing to your local Model A Club that is currently in the discussion. The small production numbers and multiple dump bodies available make an "apples to apples" comparison with comparable sales difficult.

If the truck's location in South Carolina is relatively close to my Southeastern North Carolina location, I might very well be interested in taking a look at it to be able to better research it to help the owner determine its value. I also know a good antique auto appraiser that I would recommend, but affixing a value to this truck is not going to be a walk in the park.

I still believe that based on my experience, this type of vehicle would probably bring its top dollar on Ebay. Ebay gives you a worldwide audience and auction fever can also come into play.

Blhanna,

I am still interested in any more description of the dump body that you can provide.

I would not list it on Ebay. Cars are not bidding well for the past year or so and you have to be very careful of scam artists these days, if you are not familiar with how Ebay works. I would recommend taking the truck to a live collector car auction before I would list another vehicle on Ebay.

Keep in mind that $18,000 will buy you a nice 1930 model A car these days and trucks, typically speaking, just don't bring the same money that cars do. There is not as much interest in trucks as there is in cars. I suggest you check out the Historical Truck Society and Antique Truck Club of America web sites and review their want ads to get a better idea of what trucks like yours are selling for. You may also want to take out a want ad for "best offer" and see what happens.

I recently sold a vintage truck to a truck collector who has a large collection of trucks. I'm told over 50 vintage trucks in a private collection. Everything from pick ups to chain drive Macs and a couple early Packard and Pierce Arrow Trucks. I am invited to view his collection at an open house this week end and I will give him your contact information if he is interested.

Here, let me quote from one of my earlier posts...

"Post information about the Ebay auction here, on Ahooga, Fordbarn, and any other free antique car forum that you can find."

Ebay is simply a tool to use to conduct the auction. Advertising the auction on appropriate sites is the way to really get the word out to the collector truck community as well as the Model A community. Logistically it is about the only easy way to conduct an auction with world wide exposure. The more people available to bid on it, the higher price it is likely to bring. If you conducted a local auction, you might get a few serious bidders to show up. With Ebay, anybody who knows about it anywhere, can easily bid.

I still agree with MCHinson...Model AA trucks (unless proven to be owned personally by Henry Ford) are hardly ever worth as much as a car. They are not great tour vehicles and are hard to store unless you have an RV garage. About the most use they will get is to carry an ad logo for your business and sit on a corner for advertising purposes. O.K....some are used once in a while for parades. In my 40+ years of old car interest, I have seen maybe 1 Model AA truck on a tour. They are too slow and lumbering for most tours. I DO like them....they just do not have the appeal to most collectors. Ebay is usually the best marketplace for an odd vehicle. Somewhere out there among the hoards, there is probably a guy who knows all about the truck, has an interest and has the money to purchase it. He will be a "special interest" guy or gal. That guy or gal is hard to find without exposing the vehicle to as many folks as possible. Ebay will show it to millions. At least with ebay, you can put a reserve on the vehicle so it does not have to sell for less than your minimum needs/wants.

• 1 year later...

4HQ,

I just picked up a 30/31 AA dump myself this past Friday. It is in considerably worse condition than your friend's but I am told by the local club that I got a good deal on it and they talked me out of modifying it in favor of restoring it. I am not in the market for another but would be very interested in the final price your friend gets for it to help determine the "value" of mine.

I would also love to see more pictures of the truck to help inspire my restoration efforts.

I have been fooling around with old trucks for quite a while now and watch the market and can tell you what is hot and not. First of all it is hard to tell from your picture but if the paint on that truck is original factory and all the glass and upholstery etc. are likewise and it has had little use with verifiable low mileage it could very well be worth near 60K on the right day to the right buyer but I think closer to 45 or 50 is more realistic in this economy and demographic shift. A truck such as this would most likely be unique as after all who would buy a dump truck and not use it to work!

Next best scenario would be if this is a well done older restoration , value half of the above , ie about 25K but it will take time to find the right buyer.

Last scenario, an average resto in fair condition 10-15K. which is my guess as to what it probably is without examining the truck up close.

What's hot in old trucks? Check out the ATHS ads. American Truck Historical Society ads. Go to the RM auction and other websites and search results. Trucks from obscure companies with unusual body styles and early tow trucks and ORIGINAL PAINT Diamond T's and Macks with these attributes are blue chip.

I wish you the best of luck with your honourable intentions.

Guest Amilcar1926

RE:AA Ford Dump.

Had one, sorry I sold it years ago. As noted above, it is not a real over the road vehicle. Short distances are OK, but the suspension will jarr your teeth out after a while. Hydraulic (PTO) v. crank/gravity dump makes a big difference. Running v. 'ran when parked' also is a big element of any legitimate offer. Nice examples over the past few years have gone in the range of $8-14K, restored and running. If it was really solid and clean, with just tune,adjust and light refurbs required, you might approach the bottom #. Explore Hemmings, etc, as well as some quality restoration shops in your area. If they are legit, they will help you out.

Paul

MGs,Amilcar, pre-war Austin & Bantam

(why does everyone list their cars?)