"New" Peerless Discovered!

jeff_a

The 1925 mentioned above in post #81 was at 2013 Hershey in the Car Corral. I was at Hershey and never got to see it. Did anyone look at it or talk to the owner before it sold?

In some of the photos posted of the event (on the Meets & Tours sub-forum about the 2013 Hershey Meet) someone did have 3 pictures of the motorcar [on Lincolnman65 photo set - Day: Wednesday - 4 pages from end - right after '37 Cord Coupe photo]. Hey Bryan, I thought that one had your name all over it! I met the gentleman who bought it. He seemed really happy with the purchase when he appeared at the Peerless Motor Car Club Booth on Friday during the deluge. It is on its way to Poland as we speak.

Edited by jeff_a
up & date (see edit history)

I saw a picture of a totally unknown [to me] Peerless on October 10th. Ralph found a 1929 Peerless Model Eight-125 Coupe somewhere. It needs restoration and is his.

I was so shocked to hear that one of these 114 HP, Straight-Eight, $2,195-new, Full Classic Peerless Luxury Cars in coupe form has survived I forget to ask where he found it! Though they built almost 1,200 of these top-of-the-line Peerlesses that year, almost no one has seen one of the impressive cars, as only 5 or 10 survive (that I know of) and just two of those are ever driven. First year for the 322 Cu. In. straight eight in a Peerless.

"Wow, Wow, Wow, Wow, Wow!"

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Previously Unknown Peerless

There's a recent book featuring photos of abandoned cars scattered here and there across the country, which has one of a Peerless I hadn't seen before. Despite the condition, I will add it to KPAIE*. The car is kind of unrestorable-looking. In other words.....it would rank on the bottom tier of these lists:

Value Guides...........The Modern Lexicon..............Restoration Shop Estimate

condition #1..........."Showroom new"..................."Take us a week to detail."

.............#2..........."A real trophy-winner"............"Take us a month."

.............#3..........."Might need fixing-up"............"Motor & interior rebuild, give us 6 months."

.............#4..........."Well at least it runs"............."12 months/$60,000 for labor."

.............#5..........."Worn-out"..........................."2 years."

.............#6..........."Worn-out & Abandoned"........."4 years, if you really want it restored, Mr. Rockefeller."

Re: the first column, one value guide I read stated that anything below Condition #4 was "junk", probably referring to loan value. The second column is a nice way of saying what non-car-guys would call it. The things in the third column are just wild guesses what someone in a shop might say if asked to work on cars delivered in various conditions. What's left of this car looks like it might be a 1929 Model 6-61 Sedan. Location: somewhere in the hinterlands of Idaho.

* My list of known Peerless automobiles has now reached 349. That's a lot considering that the State of California says 35....but still less than the survivors of just one model of Duesenberg.

Another [thought to be] Previously Unknown Peerless

More details to follow, but just heard about a car on the phone. For Sale in Gardenville, Nevada/600 miles on frame-off restoration.

UPDATE:

Color: green

Price:$30,000 OBO

Owners: Ev & Gus Young

Phone: #(775) 782-5235

Model: 1927 Six-90 Sedan

..................................................................................................................

2nd UPDATE

After careful use of the the Known Peerless Automobiles In Existence spreadsheet I have determined that this isn't an unknown Peerless, but a car already listed with:

1) a new location(NV not CA)

2) slightly different owner name(but same last name)

3) new phone number

This does allow me to quote an ad I saved describing the car in 2008:

"Very rare 1927 Peerless Model 6-90 5-P Sedan. The 6-90 was only produced in 1927 and 1928. Frame off restoration. Engine rebuilt. All new mohair upholstery. All nickel parts re-plated. Only 691 miles since restoration. Car has 4-wheel Lockheed-Wagner hydraulic brakes. Includes copies of original manual and 'The Peerless Story'."

Very light green in color, wood wheels, wood steering wheel, rear spare, motometer. As all you old Peerless hands should know, this makes it a luxury six or Superb Six with the 289 Cu. In. aluminum engine (engineered by Cadillac, built by Peerless from 1924 to 1929). No, I haven't seen the car in person, but it appeared to be a real gem of a car in the color photos I saw 5 years ago. It would look a bit like Philippe Mordant's 1927 6-72 5-P Sedan. His has a Raulang Body and I wouldn't be surprised if this one does, too.

As it is a 6-90, it has the 120" w.b. almost every one was equipped with. The 6-72 and 6-90 were really identical cars, but going from the 126"/133" chassis to 120" made it possible for Peerless to offer this high-end car for about $500 less: $1,895 vs. $2,395-2,595. You could go quite a bit up in price from there......but the 6-90*, 6-72**, and 8-69*** models were all rated at the same horsepower......despite prices ranging from $1,695 all the way up to $3,795.

* 6-90...........$1695-1995........289 Peerless Six

** 6-72.........$2195-2995........289 Peerless Six

*** 8-69.......$2795-3795........332 Peerless Vee-Type Eight

Edited by jeff_a
A GREAT DEAL More Information+ 1 more paragraph. (see edit history)

More info on car in Post #84 of this thread.

Photo can be found on pg 155 of Roadside Relics. Go to "Google Books", enter "Peerless Relics". Click on a book listed FS for $9.99 called ROADSIDE RELICS: America's Abandoned Automobiles, 2010 by Will Shiers. One picture and two paragraphs about car, including: "This four-door sedan, which probably dates to around 1930, was found in an Idaho yard. It's clearly not in good shape and stands very little chance of being restored."

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

An important Peerless just got discovered. Someone found a 1930 Model "A" 5-P Sedan owned by the Blackhawk Collection on the 4th floor of a parking garage. The new owner replaced some tubes, bought a new battery, took the tank off to clean, and got it to run 3 days ago. Owner Ed Fallon listed it for sale on Craigslist (Phoenix, AZ) today for $17,500. Ed's Phone#: (602) 421-5663. Email: hllywooded@aol.com .

This was originally a Deep Blue. Someone brush-painted it Black. Model also called a "Standard Eight" -- has a straight eight 246.7 cu. in. Continental, 85 HP, interior looks original. Ed states this is a very complete car(I notice original oil filter and air cleaner still on engine, which is unusual).

This is the same year/model/engine/body style as the car listed here on the Peerless Forum a few days ago {"1930 Peerless Sedan" thread, with great photos of a red 1930 Peerless FS for $32,000 CDN by Jim Dunkley of British Columbia, Canada}, but this one is unrestored. * * * See Photos Below of Arizona Car * * *

............................as of 5/25/14 on: www.prewarcar.com ...................................................................... * * *Quite a Good Presentation Via Camera* * * ...........................................

Jeff

Edited by jeff_a
Added prices of both Peerlesses and corrected name of other thread. (see edit history)

• 5 months later...

In the Hemmings Motor News I got last week, a red 1923 Peerless Raceabout was listed for sale with 3 color pictures. I had never heard about the car before. It was put together over the years by Ivan Jones of Littleton, CO and included a Peerless logo speedster gas tank, which I had never heard of. Called to find out more about this Peerless and found out that by Saturday, it was already sold to someone in Rhode Island.

This car has the usual Peerless V-8, dual exhausts, four-barrel carb. Didn't Buick and Packard have cars with that? They did, but Peerless was 35 years ahead of them!!

Edited by jeff_a
Correction of state. (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

There's an article in the October 5th, 2014 Old Cars Weekly about the 1930 Peerless Model "A" Sedan on Posts #88 and #89 here. It appears to have been transported from AZ to an Iola, WI car show by the owner, who spends time in both AZ & MN. The story is by John Gunnell, titled "Shady Character", with two photos.

Hi Tom,

I'm glad you noticed the post about you. Welcome back to the Peerless Fold! I had no idea that you were the buyer until a few days ago. Please fill us in when you start getting into "Raceabout Weather" next spring about your experiences driving it. It has a really unusual speedster tank...almost like a racing item...and some interesting carpentry framing in bucket seats, fuel tank and toolbox.

There's a widely-available 1924 factory photo of a 4-Pass. Mod. 66 Phaeton showing a young lady in a cloche hat and wool vest riding in the front seat of her Peerless that clearly sports the same nickeled headlamps and rad shell as your car. You auta get a copy on ebay. If not, I'll mail you one.

Not fair. Your Peerless has four more horsepower than mine! Of course, I haven't got mine running yet. I did refinish the steering wheel this week, though. I think the "Vee-Type Eight's" rating was a little under-reported, though. Some years Peerless called it a 70 HP motor, other years, an 80 HP motor.

----Jeff

P.S.: What are you going to do when you have to start posting State Park Permits and parking passes on your windshield?

Tom is not really an antique and classic car dealer, he is a rabid collector who finances his many great adventures by buying and selling antique and classic cars... :D

This car looks very similar to the speedster that Mr. Hofsted built a few years ago in N.Y. It was green and listed as a 1922 model 66 #66A115.

I wonder what happened to that car? When the bodies are too far gone to restore making the chassis into a speedster is the way to go. I have a 1919 complete chassis with fenders but missing body. I bought it as a parts car for my other '16 & '17 Peerless but it is in such good shape I'm thinking of making a speedster out of it. I could still use parts if needed. RHL

The Green Dragon,

Ralph Cartonio told me he was the one who bought the green speedster. There's also a 1919 Peerless chassis out in Oregon that John DeShay sold about 2008, unless your're the one who bought it. Only bodywork left was radiator/hood/cowl(+ splash aprons and front fenders). ----Jeff

You should put it on General Discussion Forum with the heading: "Photo Without Caption".

I saw this picture FS on eBay 10 days ago and thought it was a great shot. 1923 or 24 Model 66 4-Passenger Touring Phaeton. There are still 3 of these around.{NV, WI, Europe}

Over 90 years ago and a V-8, dual exhaust, 4-barrel carburetor, $3,000 price tag: you'd be puttin' on the Ritz. As my Grandma would have said: "Pretty squanky car!"

• 2 weeks later...

A green 1929 Peerless Model Six-61 Sedan appeared at the 10/18/14 Dragone Auction. I had never heard of the car before. It was owned by Mason Thrall of Connecticut, whose collection also included Auburn, DeVaux, Franklin, Hupmobile, Mercer, Packard, and Rolls-Royce vehicles. New owner: we'd love to hear from you!

This model, the Peerless Six-61, is interesting, because it was celebrated as the one Peerless took a huge number of orders for in one day at the New York Auto Show. According to Automobile Trade Journal and Motor Age, February, 1929, while the Peerless Dealers Dinner was going on at the show, $8,000,000 of orders for this model came in.

• 3 months later...

Another green Peerless has turned up to add to the list of known cars. This one is a 1923 or 1924 Model 66 Seven-Passenger Touring Phaeton that has turned up in Indiana. It has been in a barn, untouched since 1969. Just $2,990 in 1923, unless you count freight, accessories and taxes.

About this same time, a radio station had a contest on the air in which you had to send in 50 cent telegrams in favor of repealing the Volstead Act. After a certain amount of time, thousands of votes came in and the winner got to have what the station called: "The best car on Automobile Row in Chicago". It was one of these.

• 2 months later...

There's a Peerless that I finally got to identify after several months of not knowing either the year or model. Someone in Ontario, near Windsor, has a black 1929 Peerless 6-61 Deluxe Sedan. It has red pinstripes on beltline, hood louvers and fenders, plus red wheels. It's been advertised for sale on the club publication before, The PEERLESS CO-OPERATOR. I haven't seen the car myself and am just relaying what Mr. Boismier wrote:

Owner & Seller is Rick Boismier [PH: (248) 866-9011,  email: rickb3486@hotmail.com], who says the Peerless is in good condition. Father passed away and family would like to sell. Price: $6,500.

• fender parking lights and side cowl vents 
  • purchased from a Michigan dealer in 1989
  • wire wheels & D/S/M (this & D/S/M denotes $225 Deluxe option)
  • Rear rack & accessory trunk
  • photos suggest it may have a new top insert 
  • the phone is a Michigan #, owner works there and lives across the Detroit River in Canada
  • please contact Rick for more information

Photos: Rick Boismier

post-93154-0-30403300-1431664739_thumb.j

post-93154-0-28214700-1431667582_thumb.j

A few days ago, I heard of another Peerless that was new to me. Someone in New York found a green Peerless which he's considering buying in a collection of 30 or 40 cars. An antique automobile appraiser thought it was a 1928 Model "6-60" Sedan, but it's really a 1929 Model "Six-81" Victoria. Continental 66 h.p. straight six -- 2-Door -- 4-passenger -- small built-in trunk and spare at rear -- wood wheels -- fitted case for a top hat in rear seating area. I'll add more if I get news down the road. 

• 3 months later...

Re: the post above, the car was listed in the August, 2015 Hemmings Motor News (HMN, Peerless section, p. 505). They're still calling it a "1928 6-60" for some reason. The ad says that the car is part of an estate being liquidated. Recent appraisal of $16,500.

I think the location is around Oneida Lake, NY. This may be a great Peerless at a great price, but based on the description I got from someone who saw it, it is probably closer to being a 1929 6-81 Victoria{details match} than a 1928 6-60 2-Door Sedan{appraised as}. The difference in engines is 248 Cu. In./66 h.p. vs. 199 Cu. In./62 h.p. and the victoria or opera coupe body is quite a bit more interesting, IMO.

&&&Update&&&   Aug. 20, 2015

I heard today that this Peerless sold, long before the August HMN went to press, through HMN online..

• 7 months later...

In a recent Autabuy Magazine, I saw an ad for a 1930 Peerless in Buffalo, Missouri. I would drive over to check it out if it weren't 1,500 miles away, south of Lake-of-the-Ozarks. It looks like one of the 1929 Model 6-61s with a build after 9/1/29...causing the factory to regard it as a 1930. I have never heard of this Peerless, so will add it to KPAIE. That makes 10 Peerlesses in Missouri now that those two 1932  CCCA-Classic Peerlesses from Fulton sold, a Deluxe Master Eight & a Custom Eight.

In the April issue, p. 172, in addition to a photo, it says:

"1930 PEERLESS 4 DR. Rare, all original, complete, stored for forty years, good body & glass.  Call for more info. Please call 417-345-2516 or 417-838-6482. BUFFALO, MO."    *** CAR SOLD ***

• 7 months later...

Image result for peerless 6-61 engine

s-l1600.jpg

This is a 1927 Peerless 7-Passenger Model Eight-69 Sedan. 12th year for the 70 HP, dual exhaust, 332 Cu. In. Peerless V-8. I just found it on smclassiccars.com (appears to be a listing service).

It's for sale in Saint-Laurent, Quebec. A museum car. No price -- they want you to make an offer. Someone's selling it for a friend. I have never heard of this Peerless before. New price for this would have been $3,595. 133" w.b.

There's an update, courtesy of alsancle here on the forums. The Peerless is also listed on ebay. 1 of 14 nice cars FS until 11/28/16. Reserve $40,000 USD o.b.o. on the Peerless 8-69, including several more photos. The other cars were:

1. 1922 Hudson
  2. 1923 Stanley
  3. 1923 Stearns-Knight
  4. 1925 Studebaker
  5. 1926 Graham truck
  6. 1928 Franklin Limo
  7. 1928 Hudson
  8. 1928 Hupmobile
  9. 1929 Auburn
  10. 1930 Cord
  11. 1930 Lincoln
  12. 1930 Reo Flying Cloud
  13. 1930 Oakland

UPDATE: This stunning Peerless Eight-69 sold March, 2017 to a new owner in Minnesota.

On 11/22/2016 at 4:44 PM, alsancle said:

That museum has been selling quite a few cars on eBay lately.

Is it the Musee' Saint-Laurent? I looked that up and it has 16 cars listed, not including the 14 above. Maybe it was once a lot larger. It's an unusual color but appears to be in good shape. I knew nothing of its existence before, the museum or this 8-69. Maybe there ARE more great cars out there.

• 4 weeks later...

A totally-new to me 1927 Peerless has just come out of the woodwork. It's a Mod. 6-90 boattail Roadster Coupe, seen today on Hemmings Motor News online.

It's FS in Marshfield, MO, near Springfield for $39,500, o.b.o. Phone contact: #(417) 473-1333. The front bumper, rumble seat step plate, seat assemblies, rear spare setup, and rad shell aren't visible; but it has the 70 h.p. Collins engine, door handles, cowl lights, headlights, and all 4 wood wheels. SOLD

BlueBoattail'27.jpg

• 8 months later...

In April, 2017 someone had a blue 1910 Peerless Model 27 Touring Car for sale on the HCCA site. It was in South Dakota, have never heard of the car before, and was unsuccessful in getting more info re: provenance & whether it sold. Impeccable condition. 1 of 10 1910 Peerlesses out there, TTBOMK. $285K.

$4,300 new.

The new Hemmings Motor News (OCT 2017, p. 486) has a 1925 Peerless Model 8-67 5-Pass. Town Sedan listed for $25,000.

It´s incorrect -- it´s really a Model 6-70 5-Pass. Sedan. I talked with the owner on the phone 9/1/17.

I´ve never heard of it before --- 1 of only about 8 1925 Peerlesses known to exist --- four 8-67s, three 6-72s, and one 6-70. Really good condition......lots of photos.

• photo : HMN
  • Please see post below, the car is a Model Six-70, even rarer than a V-8 Peerless. The horsepower of the  8-67  V-8 Peerless, costing $3,895, is listed as 70(The History of the Peeress Automobile Company by Richard Lichtfeld). The same book says 80 h.p., $2,995 new, on the 6-70.
  • Not my car, contact Brian at:  brianw@carolinastonesetting.com; Hemmings Ad: www.hmn.com/1983977; PH: 919-Eight Six Eight -2629.

59862742-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1

Edited by jeff_a
Photo from HMN (see edit history)

The HMN ad doesn´t show engine compartment photos. If you type in www.barnfinds.com, one finds some. These clearly show a Peerless ¨Collins Six¨ or ¨Superb Six¨ 289 Cu. In. engine, and also lists an auction ending in 20 hours(3:00 PM Friday) with bidding up to about $9,500. Barnfinds.com lists it as a 1925 6-70.

This is the only existing Peerless sedan with the interesting ¨1/8 windows¨ behind the windshield, TTBOMK, and that does conform more accurately to a 1924/1925 Model 6-70 than a 1925 8-67. The Cadillac-like rad shell this Peerless has was only used on the V-8 Peerlesses in 1923 and 1924. They appeared on only one Peerless Six model, the 1924 6-70(and a few early-1925 6-70s). In April, 1925, the 6-70 was replaced by 6-72.

I´m thinking this is actually a 1924 or early-1925 Model 6-70 Sedan/126¨ w.b./$2,995 new, making this one of TWO in existence. The other 6-70 is a 1924 5-Passenger Touring Phaeton now in Texas(rough shape when I last saw it 8 years ago).

Peerless-3-630x394.jpg

photo: barnfinds.com

post-49853-143142992503_thumb.jpg1924 Peerless Six-70 Touring Phaeton, Bozeman, MT

photo: Kathleen Brown

Edited by jeff_a
corrected V-8 radiator shell years to 1923 and 1924 (see edit history)

I confirmed with the owner on the phone today that it is a Model Six-70, and that it has a Raulang body. Bids went up to $10,005 at closing, whether it sold: unknown. This Peerless came from Ohio to North Carolina with the previous owner(Bob Arnold), who had a 1915 Pierce-Arrow, too. Partially-restored about twenty years ago. Sold to current NC owner six months ago. It´s great to find that another 6-70 exists after ten years of looking. That leaves 1 1924, and 1 1925, out of 2,786 built. I even got a serial number(301,515), consistent with the later part of production. Model Six-70 production ran from March 1924 to March 1925.

• 1 month later...

It turns out it´s the car Brian Livingston had for sale in the Springfield, Missouri area last December. See post #113 on this thread. Nice car really, a boattail Roadster Coupe with the aluminum 289 six in it. Thanks for the post, Richard. It seems like a lot of the good Peerlesses are in Wisconsin!

Did you ever find out about the two cars an acquaintance of yours has, a 1904 and a 1906 Peerless? Maybe it was in Farmington, IL. You told me that you heard about them or saw them when you were at a party in 2015, the one with the steam locomotive back in the outbuilding, on tracks. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to Joanne Pistorius bringing it to my attention...another Peerless 6-90 has turned up, a 1927 6-90 Sedan. That makes 8 or 9 known survivors out of about 4000 built(6-90 models). Pistorius Restorations down in Florida restored a red 6-90 Sedan a few years ago. The  latest 6-90 is in southern California: new owners the Smiths.

It turns out this Peerless has been listed on the Known Peerless Automobiles In Existence registry already. It was owned previously by Ev and Gus Young in Grass Valley, CA and Gardnerville, NV; and Lloyd Boettger, M.D. of Stockton, CA.

• 7 months later...

ANOTHER 6-70 PEERLESS turns up! 

On September 15th, 2018 a Mack Auction Company event in Glen Ewen(S.E. Saskatchewan, Canada) will have what's described as a 1925 Peerless Car, 1970 partial restoration, 126" w.b., 6 Cylinder, for sale. It appears to be an early 1925, or possibly 1924, Model Six-70 Five-Passenger Touring Phaeton. There are several photos of this uber-rare car, and it seems to have a top, plating and interior in good condition. This is a fantastic find. It was thought only one 6-70 survived(a condition 5 1924 5-P Phaeton found in Montana), but then a 1925 6-70 Five-Passenger Sedan in good shape was found in NC a year ago(photos of both 5 posts up). Now this one. That makes THREE out of 2,786 Six-70s built. Thanks to Wm. Inge of Virginia for spotting this Peerless Quonset Hut Find. This '25 Peerless was a more  expensive car than the '37 Packard to it's right.

6C.jpg