Selden plate

corvairguy

Hi folks. Well, I do know something about the history of the Selden Plate, but I'm trying to find out if it's possible to determine the car of origin for the plate that I own by it's serial number. Also, any idea what this is worth these days? I'm not familiar with the early automobilia. I'm assuming that it is an original because it has a serial number 7031. If it's a repro, I'd like to know about that too.

Thanks,

Steve

62 Corvair 95 Rampside

69 Corvair Monza convertible

Steve, Welcome to the Forum, glad to read you like old stuff along with Corvairs. I have an original Selden plate too # 215026. Within the last 10 years Tom Reese did a two part history on the plates in Antique Automobile. The plates went out to manufacturers in batches, and there isn't any real good record as to what years they fit. The originals are stamped I think the pepos are cast.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest imported_oldmitchell

I have a Selden plate in the 100,000 range that I would like to trade for a plate in the 50,000 range. Btw, the repros are not serial numbered. If in doubt, look for the serial number under the left front wheel.

Guest imported_oldmitchell

If you are speaking about on your Selden plate then it is a repro, but if you are speaking of yout car then I would say that is a good thing.